Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic stopped working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today, my Fitbit I brought on the 21st of December 2017 stopped working. 

I have tried everything to revive it but to no avail. I just read that it seems many people are having this issue. I am about to go to the store tomorrow to exchange it for a new one but it concerned me that some people have obtained replacements only to have it break as well. I brought the Ionic from Harvey Norman. 

I absolutely loved the smart watch but now I am a little disappointed. My old change 2 has survived treks up volcanos and still is alive and yet the Ionic dies while I am reading. 

I am happy to return it and downgrade for a newer charge 2. I could buy two actually and give one to a friend at the price of the ionic..

Thoughts anyone?

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78
I'm thinking the same but I think that pool swim is OK as it's warmer but
open water is obviously colder and effecting and watch
Best Answer

Hello guys, I'm here to provide assistance with your Ionic devices, my apologies for the delay in responding your posts. I'd like to give a warm welcome to our Community Forums to @Volvolady @LadyJa. It's nice to see you again participating @kd2cu1 @manskilo @Annthevet @Darraght9119.

Let me share with you that Fitbit is always striving to improve our customer's Fitbit experience with our products and services. Therefore, we appreciate all of the input we receive from our users here in the Community Forums because this information help us to evaluate our procedures. Thank you for the feedback and your patience with this situation. Refer to our limited purchase warranty policies for a better understanding of our Customer Support team conclusion, take in consideration that they refer to our policies to move forward and determine the eligibility for a replacement device in case all the applicable troubleshooting steps were exhausted. Also, you can contact them back if you have any additional questions about the resolution that was provided.

@Darraght9119 I'd like to share with you that our Ionic device is swim-proof up to 50 meters, therefore, you can use it while swimming in a pool or open water. If you use it in salt water, I recommend you to properly clean your device to avoid any inconvenience. 

Let us know if you have any additional questions and we will assist you with them. 

Best Answer

Dear all, my Ionic Adidas version worked very nicely for 15 months and then died of a sudden death (black screen in the morning after charging it, dead, could not be reset with all the testing and following all procedures suggested). I have had 2 Surge (known band issues) and a charge 3 (best so far). The Ionic is a wonderful watch, but should not die after 15 moths. I hope the next product will live for 3 years like every other watch. But the great news is your customer support. I wrote them, described the problem and sent pictures. They tried to help me get it restarted, but no success. Today I received a brand new Bezel without the band (perfect for me, the band is just fine) and I am back up and running. I have been a Fitbit owner for 5 years and even though the quality is not quite there year, I know you guys can make it. Keep working on it and you will get to the perfect product. Your customer service is perfect, nothing to complain about it and I can't wait for your next product, I will for sure buy it...Thank you team, keep going and working on the quality...almost there.... gooooooood luck to you all. Michael

Best Answer

Hello @Rower1 thanks for your post, welcome to our Community Forums too! My apologies for the delay in responding.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with our Customer Support team regarding your Ionic device and that they were able to assist you with a replacement device to get you back on track, your effort and patience troubleshooting your Ionic prior posting and contacting them are appreciated. Don't hesitate to contact me back if you need anything else or have any additional questions for me to answer, note that Fitbit is always striving to improve, therefore, your comments motivate us.

See you around. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
Fitbit really isn’t striving if you read the entire thread

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
The thing is I have so many different electronic devices and sometimes they
stop working but the customer service I got from fitbit is amazing. I sent
detail of my product, purchase and they ar sending me out a replacement.
Yes it is annoying that it broke but they are fixing it.
Darragh
Best Answer
They replace it, then that one breaks, but the warranty is only good from the original device, then a month out of warranty your second device is not covered and then you have to buy a new device

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I spent a lot of time researching smart watches, choosing carefully between Apple, Samsung and Fitbit. In March 2018, I decided to purchase the Fitbit Ionic. I was pretty happy with the watch until it suddenly stopped working. I opened a complaint to the Fitbit Ionic technical support. The support was unable to fix the problem and since at that point 14 months had passed from the time of purchase, I was offered a new watch with a 40% discount. I do not consider this offer to be a fair solution.
Out of curiosity to see if other consumers were dealing with similar issues, I decided to examine how common this problem is for the Fitbit Ionic. The volume of negative reviews and complaints on the Fitbit Community Forum and the Better Business Bureau is overwhelming. When something like this takes place in the automotive industry or any industry where a company is concerned with its reputation, the company declares a recall and fixes the problem without charging consumers.
How is it possible that an expensive mass-produced product like the Fitbit Ionic stops working shortly after a year and continue to remain on the market? I am sure that the product has serious manufacturing problems, did not pass enough a sufficient amount of quality control inspection and its release in the market was premature. It should have been recalled. Fitbit should analyze the defective devices and the owners of these devices should be provided with either (a) a new device free of charge or (b) a refund.

Best Answer

Just posting to state that my Ionic stopped working (no charge/no response when restarting) this morning while I was watching TV and this watch was actually a replacement to a previous one whose screen died while I was on my work commute. So that's two failures due to normal use.

Fitbit offered no replacement on this second go around but I did get a discount for 40% off an Ionic purchased from the Fitbit store, which is already $50 more than where I can get it anywhere else... 

What is going on with the Fitbit Ionic watch? A flagship watch should not be so prone to failure to the point where it almost becomes a meme due to it's widespread occurrence.

Best Answer

My Ionic also died this morning, won’t restart, won’t turn on. As I’m a few months out of warranty, was also told there would be no replacement, and offered 25% off (which barely even bring Fitbit’s price down to Amazon’s), then 40%. While I very much enjoyed my Ionic (my wife was actually considering upgrading to one before this happened), I’m not going to purchase another if the company refuses to stand behind their product, particularly when so many people seem to be having the same issue at the same time. 

Best Answer

Hi there @kd2cu1 @Darraght9119 @Harvman11 thanks for reaching out the Community Forums. Welcome to the Community Forums @honker24 and @mikekotMy apologies for the delay.

Sorry for the issues with your Fitbit Ionic. Thanks for the feedback, it's very important to us to have your thoughts in regards our product and your customer support interactions. Fitbit is always trying to provide great products and customer experience. Each scenario is different, but I think that our team can review each case to provide the best option for you using your warranty details. If you don't have a case open for this please let me know, so I can give you a hand with that. 

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts.

The accepted solution for this thread was given by the person that initiated this topic. Please feel free to start a new topic if you have any other question or inquiry about your Fitbit Ionic. If you're getting issues with your Ionic not turning on I suggest you to check: Why isn't my battery charging on my Fitbit device? 

Please note that we don't have the option to change our warranties or give more details about your personal information here on the Forums, if you have questions related to your warranty you can check this page or keep communication open with our support team for more details. Thanks for your understanding and for your time, your comments and feedback are very appreciated. 

See you around! 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
I went the customer service route and the best option was 25% off. It was my replacement for my original that went out, it was not even a year old.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @kd2cu1 welcome back, thanks for your reply.

Thanks for sharing with us the experience you had with our Customer Support team. For a better understanding of their conclusion, I recommend you to check our warranty policies in full here. Also, don't hesitate to contact them back if you have any additional questions about the information that was provided by them. 

Let me know if I can do anything else for you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I understand the need to strictly stick to the warranty with the poor quality of the fitness trackers you put out there. The originals do not last a year, the replacements do not last a year. Then we are offered 25% off, wow, great marketing scheme, take advantage of the consumer.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

The Ionic won't start...period; thus, no restarting. What is the justification of charging almost three-hundred for an item that only last, badly, for a year? So disappointed in Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Exactly how I felt, then they offer you a minuscule discount to buy another $300 piece of junk

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Hello again @kd2cu1 @Volvolady, thanks for your replies. Sorry for the delayed reply.

Sorry for the inconveniences both of you experienced with the Fitbit products. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, I assure you that we take in consideration all the feedback our users provide and we're working everyday to improve the Fitbit experience.

As a friendly reminder, you can always check our Returns and Warranty policies to understand better the response from our Support Team. As they mentioned, the warranty is 1 year from the date of purchase, except that if you reside in the European Economic Area (EEA) and you purchased your Fitbit product in the EEA, the warranty period is 2 years from the date of purchase.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer

Please discontinue the "canned messages" about warranties. Just admit you
have a bad product and let it go. I've lost my three hundred dollars and
trying to find more ways to cautions friends, coworkers, and patients!

No, just go away. I've acknowledged losing $300 for a year's use of Ionic. So disappointed.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hi @Volvolady thanks for your reply.

Please note that my only intention is to resolve your doubts, however, I'm unable to change our warranty policies. Therefore, the feedback that was submitted in each of your posts help us to evaluate our procedures for future scenarios. 

Don't hesitate to contact me back if you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
That’s exactly how I felt!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes