Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

I had to tick a box agreeing to dispose of the Ionic, I did notice that the Ionic device disappeared from my fitbit account quickly and I hadn't sync'd it so lost the steps 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@slhaunz I tried again, for the 150th time, and it said the email address I was using wasn't the same one listed on my Fitbit account. I went into my personal info page and found it had an email address I haven't actively used in a long time. I used the correct address and am trying again. Looks like user error on my part. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bruneeto wrote:

i recalled from belgium...
received the code, checked prices for a charge 5 and a local retailer offers it cheaper than the fitbit store WITH 40% discount...

Ok in the UK I can't see it being that bad but it's similar in that a charge is £169 on the official store and it's easily available elsewhere for £135 which makes the 40% really a 20% discount on the open market.  I had been thinking of getting new fitbits for the wife and child and mates, but it's less tempting now.

Best Answer

Update: My fault! User error. After entering the CORRECT email address, I have received the 40% discount email. If you're having issues, go to your personal info and make sure you're using the email address listed on your account. I have 3 emails and I was entering the wrong one. The first 100 or so attempts didn't state the following: 

The Fitbit account email address you provided when you registered on our refund center doesn't match the Fitbit account you logged in to. If you're logged in to the wrong Fitbit account, Click here to log out. If you provided the wrong Fitbit account email address when you registered, submit a new claim fitbitionic.expertinquiry.com using the correct Fitbit account email address.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyone having issues registering? The registration site is saying my email address is invalid. Checked my profile and called Fitbit support and my email is accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DaveN. I've used the correct email account and received the reference code. It just doesn't work. I made screenshots of everything as I filled out their forms, just in case something like this happened. They haven't come back to me on Twitter yet, so I'll give it another few hours then try to submit a claim again. Glad it finally worked out for you!

Best Answer

Hello. I live in country where my only option for reimbursement is via PayPal. I don't have it and I don't want to create it only for one transaction. (currency conversion and fees are too high).  Is it possible to get reimbursement in other way? Chat was not helpful.
Second question: I have two Ionics (one was faulty so I get replacement). What I need to do with second Ionic? Also chat was not helpful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ionic return not working It asked me to enter my email address which I do and it says it is not the right email address that isn’t going to work , what to do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issue

Best Answer

Do we know yet if the 40% discount can be used on any and all devices in their store, or just specific devices please?

Thanks

Best Answer

I’ve notified a moderator to help both of you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

the link on the Fitbit recall page is not working. I cannot even get past entering my country and state (U.S). 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your question about the Ionic recall.

We’re offering the discount off a range of products that offer similar features to Ionic, along with our latest improvements and new features. To learn more about the Ionic recall and how to get your refund, visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic, where you’ll find:

* Answers to common questions

* Information on how to receive a refund 

* Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.

Thank you for your continued support and being a member of the Fitbit family.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I just completed my order and they offered the Sense and Versa and one other watch that I don't remember.  The Sense is $180 and you can select one free band with each watch you purchase (not all bands Fitbit offers are available in the discount store such as Horween leather). It was easy to do. Oh, make sure you enter the Promo code for free shipping, I forgot to do that but from my receipt shipping was not charged.

I had three Ionics, one that had died, one I was using daily, and a backup.  I confirmed via chat yesterday that all three are eligible for the refund but you have to repeat the registration process for each watch that you are seeking a refund for.  This will generate a registration number for each watch and will result in a return kit being sent in 5 business days so you may ship the Ionic back to Fitbit.  Once they have the device(s) then your refund will be processed either via PayPal or a MC/Visa debit card as you requested in the registration process here in the US (from reading this thread it appears some countries only have the PayPal only option).  The website on the Ionic recall says it takes 3-6 weeks from completing the registration to receive your refund.

From reading some of the questions others have posted the registration/return/refund process is separate from the discount process.  Once you generate the registration and get the confirmation email with your access code you can go ahead and purchase whatever replacement device you wish if you want to stay in the Fitbit ecosystem, you don't have to wait for the refund if your finances permit.  If you have more than one Ionic you're only going to get one access code for the 40% discount and free band offer.  Good luck everyone, I liked my Ionic a lot and wasn't looking to replace it but safety first.

Best Answer

I had to keep doing it. I also noticed that you have to put in the email twice. I finally was able to register 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have entered my Validation Code, but never got a confirmation e-mail. Not in my spam filter either. Waited for about 6 hours already, don't think it'll still come. Does this happen to more people? Would be great if a Moderator could check.

Best Answer

@TomDuke - Were you able to find out how to get a refund for the device that died?  I had one fail that was replaced under warranty and my second overheated last year so I stopped using it, replaced with a Charge 4.  The Ionic is powering on but the screen is not working now, so linking to my account isn't possible, which is what the refund tool is insisting it be able to do.

Best Answer

how do I get the return box and the $300.00 credit

Best Answer
0 Votes

For those of you who’s countries are not listed, I have news for you. This so-called “voluntary” Ionic recall is not being extended to users in certain countries. But Fitbit is not telling us that upfront. They are sending us around in circles like idiots only to be told when you get to stage 2 of the refund process which involves logging in to your Fitbit account to enter the code they sent, that you aren’t included. I live in Barbados and the recall does not extend to my “region”. So I guess we can spend our money to buy their products but our safety is not a matter for them. I have been using Fitbits for nearly 10 years. I have owned, used and still have the Surge, 2 Ionics, a One, a Charge 2, a Charge 3, a Charge 5 and a Zip. I am very disappointed in Fitbit for this selective recall. I will have to reevaluate my relationship with them in future. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply. I don't mean to be awkward, but it's there an actual list of which devices I can use the code against please.

Several people in this thread alpine have been advised that once you enter the code then you're unable to use it again, I'm just thinking that I would like to be able to read up on the individual devices before committing on any particular one, so wouldn't be able to commit on my first and only look.

Thanks

Best Answer