Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden change in sleep tracking

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve been tracking my sleep with Fitbit for 3-4 years now. For about 2.5 weeks in September, my sleep score went from an average of 84 to an average of 90. I thought I must be sleeping better, though I really didn’t notice anything changing in my sleeping habit. I also thought maybe something had changed with Fitbit. In the last week or so, my sleep score went back down to average, even though, again, I have detected no change in my sleeping pattern. The last two nights, Fitbit claims I have had virtually no deep sleep! This cannot be, as I fell asleep immediately as I always do and do not remember waking up til morning. Another problem that happens occasionally but has been happening more lately, including the last few nights, is the time I get into bed or fall asleep is indicated about an hour later than I actually went to bed and/or fell asleep. I know how to edit the log, but it’s very strange what happens then. Before, it would almost always indicate that in that first hour I was in deep sleep. Huh?? It originally said I wasn’t even in bed. The last two nights, though, when I edited the log, it said I was awake or in light sleep and, as I mentioned before, claims I got no deep sleep. What is going on??

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

I'm experiencing the same thing! I went to bed early last night and slept in, and my tracker claims no deep sleep, inconsistent readings, and only 4 hours of sleep.

Best Answer

Same. Except mine is a Fitbit Inspire 2. If I try to add a sleep log for the missing hours, it just adjusts the original log to a shorter time.  

Best Answer
It seems mine has gone back to normal now, indicating deep sleep like it used to. It still gets my bedtime start time wrong much of the time, so I try to keep track of that and edit the log.

Ann FitzGerald sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My inspire 2 has stopped tracking my sleep,too and nothing here has helped 

Best Answer

My Inspire 2 also has stopped tracking my sleep.  What is going on??

Best Answer

Hi Everyone. Welcome back and good to see you participating for the first time in the community new users.

Thank you for providing the details regarding the inconvenience with heart rate.

When your body is completely at rest and you haven’t moved for about an hour, your device should record that you’re asleepBefore considering other options, please keep in mind that there are some factors that may prevent your tracker from recording your sleep. Please make sure of the following:

• If you slept in a position that prevented your device from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or wore it too loosely. For best results, wear your device as described in this help article.
  • If you slept for less than 1 hour for sleep patterns or less than 3 hours for sleep stages.
  • If your device’s battery is critically low.

If you haven't done so already, please restart your device.

In addition, please wear your device on your non-dominant hand and monitor it for the next few days. In the meantime, for the nights that don't have sleep data, you can manually log your sleep by going to the Fitbit app, tapping on the "+" icon next to the sleep tile > Add Sleep Log and entering your details. 

Best Answer

Same. I was hoping to find some answers here, but no luck so far.

Best Answer
I thought I’d fixed it, but not so. I might get a partial sleep log saying for example that I slept 7 hours 4 mins between this time and this time. When I add a sleep log to cover the missing hours it reduced the first time by 45 mins - same sleep parameters- then overall added in some new minutes from the second log. 😳

Lynne Hayes Stone
SeedPod Consulting
Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems like if I have a potty run, which I usually do around 3AM, Versa2 decides okay, she's up, even though I go back to sleep for 4 more hours. It's kind of ridiculous.

Best Answer

Same issue with my Inspire 2.

Best Answer

Hi my inspire 2 stopped logging any sleep data at all since the beginning of 2023. I've been researching and trying all suggestions but no data appears at all. Should I reinstall the app? What else can be the issue? 

Best Answer

Same issue.  I've done everything...rebooted, reinstalled the app, cleared all user data, ensured hr on, sleep mode off.  It's just broken.  I'm returning mine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have FitBit Versa 2. Mine recently started to do the same thing. At one time I was able to go change it manually but not an option now. I’ve had other issues and they all seemed to have started when they made the switch to Google. Frustrated. 😡

Best Answer

After a whole year of no automatic sleep data, my Inspire 2 suddenly started working on 12/3/23. out of the blue it seemed. It is quite impressive amount of data and I'm thrilled it's working. But other than turning feature on and off and on again I didn't do anything different. Wonder if they installed an update or something that shook things around!

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Inspire 2 is still unpredictable but better than it was. Provided I don't accidentally wake up my watch or look at the time during the night it seems ok. If it does think I've woken up during the night then getting any sort of accurate sleep reading has the same problems as previously!
Best Answer

My Versa 2 seems to be scoring my sleep much lower than it always had. I will get over an hour of deep sleep, good amounts of REM and light sleep and be awake cumulatively for less than an hour, which for me is great, and get a score in the 70's where it used to be in the 80's comparing apples to apples. It seems like it changed when Google took over. I was excited when I first found out that there was a good smartwatch that utilizes the Fitbit app and platform. I will definitely not be getting the Google watch and now I feel like they "broke" the Fitbit aspect. Too bad they didn't leave well enough alone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had previously been using an Inspire 2, for about three years, which began having problems with sleep tracking: some nights tracking ok, some nights no tracking at all, many nights cutting off if I got up to go to the bathroom. Sometimes I could edit the log and magically all the data appeared for a score, other times the data was missing for the second half of the night. I finally thought I needed a new device and purchased an Inspire 3 this month. My first night using this brand new Fitbit the VERY SAME THING happened!! Sleep tracking until I got up for one minute to go to the bathroom and then went immediately back to sleep. Only the score for the first segment was recorded. I edited the log and the rest of the data appeared. What on earth is wrong with your trackers????? This is obviously a product issue for SO many users!!!! Get a fix together for us and stop telling everyone to reboot (I did). If buying a new device does not result in better tracking the problem is the product! I am very very disappointed.  Is my only solution to return my new Inspire 3 and switch to a more reliable tracker? 

Best Answer

I'm still having issues. I certainly won't both with my premium membership
as the tracking device itself is not reliable enough.

*I acknowledge the traditional custodians on whose lands I live, learn,
play and work. I pay my respects to all the Aboriginal Elders who protect
the memories, traditions, cultures and futures of their people.*

----

Even after the latest upgrade, there's no improvement with sleep recording on my Inspire 2. I've had to add a sleep log in three different parts for last night, so the sleep score is split too. For one stretch of from 1.49 to 5.05am , it says I was awake for only 11 minutes, but asleep for only 1 hr 7 minutes. What happened in the other two hours? Hopeless....

Best Answer