Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading new build for clockface

ANSWERED

Hi,

I am new to Fitbit/GAM applications and I’ve just receive a question from one of my customers.

If I upload a new build for a clockface (new version for my clockface on GAM platform that needs to be reviewed) will this be automatically updated on the devices that are already using that clockface or will the user need to do additional steps?
Thank you! 
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Once you've published your update, the user can either manually install the update by visiting the gallery, or it will automatically update while the device is charging and wifi is enabled.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @lradu 

I'm moving your post to the Device SDK forum for help.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer

Yes, thank you for this! @GordonFitbit 

Best Answer

Once you've published your update, the user can either manually install the update by visiting the gallery, or it will automatically update while the device is charging and wifi is enabled.

Best Answer

Thank you so much! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lradu  @JonFitbit @GordonFitbit 

This is not the whole story by far.

1) There is no way to inform the user there is a new version [to do it manually]

2) very often the automatic update doesn't work on many watches, for a myriad of reasons

3) Often if users go to Clock faces in the Fitbit App they are confronted with an error message

"Continue Installing" with option to click Later or Continue, without knowing what clock is problematic or why, or when it started, or how.

4) Due to discrepancies between the watch Firmware level and the latest clock/app compiled OS level, the latest updates cannot be installed at all.

So you can end up with users having very old versions of clocks/apps and no one knowing.

See suggestion to resolve this.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lradu @JonFitbit @GordonFitbit 

Further it should be noted that when the user receives this error [below], he has no idea why

20210203_061619.jpg

When he finished loading his clock face it appeared on the watch and all was fine.

Next time he returns to clock faces to do something he is potentially confronted with this message.

Presumably, though it doesn't say so, it is attempting to update the current clock face.

Which begs the question, is only when returning to clock faces is it that the update is attempted or has it been ongoing and failing for some time?

Worse still clicking either option returns the user to the same position of perpetual "switching".

The only way out of the loop is to clear the cache on Android or reinstall the App on IOS. Or may be logout and in might do it.

So to answer your question, there is no way of knowing if a new build ever makes it to the user, or how many users are on which build.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure that the 'continue installing' situation is due to updating. It seems to happen on new installations too. Here's a related post.

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gondwana 

Thanks for the information and link, yes, it can apply to installing a new clock face too.

The question here is if new builds make it to the user automatically. The short answer is no one knows.

Hence the feature suggestion to better deal with this.

Best Answer
0 Votes