Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot setup Fitbit device for child under Google parental supervision

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I bought a Charge 5 for my daughter who is 13 (to replace her old Ace). However despite her being 13 her account still only allows her to add an Ace. We have transferred accounts over to Google and her age is correct there. Also won't let her log in on the Fitbit page. Any suggestions?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

A little bit extreme but why don't you try to make a brand new account with a different email address? It's worthy a try

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes after spending an hour in support chats with both Google and Fitbit and neither being able to resolve that's what I ended up doing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My daughter (age 14) has a Charge 5 since beginning this year and it worked fine via her Google account. In June, syncronisation of data stopped and there was a message regarding use of Google account under parental supervision. 

I also have a Fitbit, type Inspire 2. It has been linked to my personal Google account and my daughter is listed within our Family in Google. Within my Fitbit App under settings, there is possibility to setup "Ace for children". Via that way, my daughter's account does not appear. Also she has no Fitbit Ace but a Charge device.

I am not able to re-activate the Fitbit Charge 5 of my daughter under her Google account.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @TomC_BE and welcome to the Community.  I'm going to flag your post to get a moderator's attention to help you.  There are unanswered questions regarding the migration to Google accounts.  So the moderator can help you better, has your daughter always been part of a Google Family account?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Yes - she has more than 2 years a Google account that is under parental controls via Family Link. 

Can I expect some update on this matter? Can this issue be resolved, any work-around meanwhile, tips ...?

Best Answer
0 Votes

We have a family account that my 14 year old son is on.  He recently purchased a Versa 3 and it is not allowing him to create an account because he is on our family plan.  Is there any way to get around that?  

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity. 

Best Answer

No, there is no way around that.  The Ace is the only tracker that's allowed on the family accounts for kids.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community, @CheesyMom. Thank you for sharing your family account query.

As @DramaQueenDiva mentioned, Ace series are the only trackers that are allowed on the family accounts. 

You can create an individual account for your son in order to be able to use the Versa 3. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW Thank you very much for your input and the flag. Appreciate it. 

@TomC_BE Welcome to the forums. Thank you very much for reaching out about this matter. Please note that this has been reported internally and we await for an update. As soon as we receive more information regarding this matter, I will communicate it to you. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us and your patience. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @TomC_BE.

Sorry for the delay. We wanted to better understand the issue you're describing. Were you able to move your daughter's account to google and get the charge 5 paired? if not, can you provide us with a screenshot of the error message you're receiving? To attach a file on your post, please follow the steps described here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a similar issue.

I just bought a Charge 5 for my 15 year old son. I manage his Google account through Family Link. When I try to set-up his device only the 3 Ace FitBit products for kids younger than 13 are listed. 

I called FitBit support and they said the only way to fix this is to remove his Google account from the family via Family Link. For a variety of reasons, I don't want to remove his google account from FamilyLink, that is a show stopper for me.

I understand kids younger than 13 can't use the Charge5. But my son is 15. Has anyone found a work around?

Best Answer

We finally decided to remove the Family Link from her Google account, since she was no able using her Charge5 for more than 2 months (and she saved money for it a long time).

We first had to migrate her existing Google account ... to Google. After that, we were able to reactivate her Charge5 and link with the app on her phone. So we have it working again; without Family Link restrictions. 

Best Answer

In case you have found a solution to make it function under Family Link, please let me know. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for your efforts while working on this matter. @Taekwondoforfun@CheesyMom and @PapaGoose08 I understand you all refer having the child accounts under the Family account but, if you haven't done so, could you try the steps mentioned by @TomC_BE. This will help me to keep our team informed of this situation.

By the way, I've moved your posts to this thread so we can keep the forums organized.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LizzyFitbit I'm not sure what you're suggesting: the users are asking to set up the Fitbit for their kids who are under Google Supervised account and you're telling him to use a regular account? If @TomC_BE, out of frustration, decided to have her daugther to use a regular account, this couldn't be the solution for parents like @Taekwondoforfun , @CheesyMom , @PapaGoose08 and hundreds of other users who might be in the same situation.

Formerly Giampi71 - Retired from Fitbit for good on November 13th 2023
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a similar problem as @PapaGoose08 , in that my son, who is 16, has a Gmail account being monitored under Google Family Link. He recently got a Fitbit Sense that we are unable to set up because when we try to, we get the message "Can't use Fitbit with this Google Account. This could be because you're using a Workspace account, or because your account is supervised." I'm unwilling to remove Family Link monitoring, because it also shows me his location, lets me set a bedtime for his phone, etc. 

Thus, the "solution" of creating a new Google account to set up the Fitbit will not work for us, because it creates an unmonitored account, which makes Google Family Link pointless.

I do NOT have a Fitbit Family account, nor do I want one. I'm not concerned with monitoring my son's Fitbit. We simply want to be able to set up the Fitbit with his current Gmail account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TomC_BE@CheesyMom@ksneij   I was able to resolve but it is a bit of a fiddly workaround that frankly shouldn't be necessary:

First I removed supervision from my daughter's account. Then for some reason it took until the next day before I was able to set up her Fitibt, must be a delay in the system. Then, once her Fitbit was set up, I went onto her device and set up supervision again; she was still able to use her Fitbit. But I think it is pretty dumb that you have to do that.

Best Answer
0 Votes