Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ace tracking streps while my son is watching TV!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve never owned a Fitbit wrist style, only the Fitbit One so I may not be used to how they work. I just bought my 9 year old son the Fitbit Ace and have everything set up fine but he was excited that when he is watching TV he can wave his arms and get steps. He literally hasn’t been off of the couch since I put it on his wrist and he’s up to 500 steps. Is this just because the wrist trackers are more sensitive or something and this is normal? Or is it a setting issue? Or is this a different problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @KerryLynne

The wrist style trackers detect the arm movements as many move their arms while walking. If I don't move my arms, I don't get as many steps. People pushing a grocery cart or a baby stroller have reported getting few steps. Those who play piano, knit or even wave have said it makes for more steps.

Nice to see some children getting the Ace. You still use your One?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Thanks for the information re: wrist trackers and steps. That helps to know arm movements can change step counts.

I still have my Fitbit One and use it continuously. The face recently got strange cracks on the face so I may have to change soon but don’t like the idea of wearing something on my wrist. 

Best Answer

Everyone loves the One!

As for something not wrist oriented, the Flex 2 has a necklace that can be worn when you wouldn't want it on the wrist. Might be something to think about.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Awesome @Odyssey13, thanks for this information. 

And it's good to see you around in the forums for the first time @KerryLynne, welcome. 

Also, remember that the Fitbit will try to give you credit for every movement throughout the day, as you can check here, Fitbit devices have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running. When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a device on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. 

In order to improve accuracy, I would recommend that you also check the dominant hand settings

• The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving.
  • The non-dominant wrist setting increases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any under counting of steps. Non-dominant is the default.

I hope this helps. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer