Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kids steps vs. Adult steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It seems that I walk less the distance and get more steps when I wear my child's Fitbit than when I wear my fit bit. Is there a difference in the number of steps that calculate kids vs. adults?

Moderator edit: format 

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Did you change the stride to yours from your childs?

The strides will totally change the step count

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

How can I change the stride on the fit bit ap? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1135

While under settings you might want to make sure height and weight are correct for you as well

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hello @marykmalon, it's good to see you participating in the Community forums. 

I can see that @WendyB has already provided you with information about why you could be getting different a number of steps with the Ace and your own Fitbit. The stride length can certainly have an impact on this. 

If you haven't done so already y, we also invite you to participate in our discussion's forum, there many interesting topics about Fitness and Wellness. 

See you around in the forums! 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to clarify, changing the stride setting will NOT change the step count.  That is totally unrelated.  It WILL change the DISTANCE count (number of steps multiplied by stride length gives distance, so a shorter stride will give a shorter distance, if the number of steos is the same).

However, each person is an individual, and how many steps are counted will vary a little depending on the Fitbit's settings and where it is worn (dominant versus non dominant hand, for example), and the way an individual walks.  People who are very light on their feet will almost certainly show fewer steps than someone who stomps about (being light on your feet is not necessarily related to weight -- it is how you walk -- so no two individuals will count exactly the same).  The best advice is to focus on trends -- what number is right for YOU (or your child) -- rather than exact numbers.  

Having said that, Fitbits should be about 95% accurate, but in a 10,000 step day that could vary between 9500 - 10500 steps -- so could seem like a pretty big difference while still being 95% accurate.  

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes