Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR Overestimating Calories Burned??

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This had been bugging me over the past few days, so much so that I decided to make a post to get feedback. I saw another's post similar to this, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing the same. 

So I recently purchased the Alta HR after being a proud owner of a regular Alta. Usually when doing workouts and manually logging/tracking them on the app, on a a really good day I would burn around 2800 calories (combination of 1 hour of gym and 45 min 2.3 mile walk everyday). I'm 5'9 and weigh 195 pounds so my BMR is about 2039 or so. 

On on the first full day of owning my Alta HR, I burned 3,700 calories doing the exact same exercises and it inflated how much I could eat and such which threw me off. When doing the same brisk 45 min walk, it said I burned over 200+ more calories doing it than what I would get when tracking it with my regular Alta. I honestly don't know if the addition of the HR feature is inflating my calories burned or maybe I have a defective device. If someone who went from a non-HR device to one could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

At at this point I'm considering returning my Alta HR and going back to my old Alta where I felt more satisfied. While Fitbit trackers aren't 100% accurate all the time and they serve as estimates, I felt like I was loosing weight on pace with what my Alta told me and it gave me a better reading. $140 is not something I want to just waste like that.

In your guy's opinion, should I call customer service and consider giving it another chance and maybe exchanging it for another one, or give it up all together? Thanks. 

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

I am having the same problem. It is very frustrating. I sync my Fitbit to MyFitnessPal and my Alta HR is estimating that I burned about three times as many calories compared to my Fitbit Alta.  I don't know what to do. 

Best Answer

My experience with cycling: calories burned are just slightly above the value reported by another application that bases its math on GPS data and averages for my demographic, but still in that ballpark.

My experience with walking: calories burned are almost twice the value reported by the same "other app". Which one is right? Well, of course the Alta HR! Smiley Wink But seriously:  in theory a device that monitor your heart rate should be able to give you a better estimate of the calories burned.

That said, I use these devices/applications to get some guidance rather than expecting "The Truth (tm)". I mean, have you ever noticed that some people are sort of thin even though they eat a lot, and get little to no exercise, while other people seem to gain weight just for thinking about food?

My point: not two people are exactly the same, even if they may belong to the same demographic, and let's not forget that the feedback we receive is still based on "averages" -- but averages plus heart rate reading are more likely to get you a bit closer to "The Truth (tm)".

RT.

Best Answer

A little addendum. After posting my previous response I stumbled upon an article confirming that "health apps" are not considered medical devices and, as such, the FDA doesn't require that their makers back up their claims (http://vitals.lifehacker.com/health-apps-don-t-have-to-do-what-they-say-they-do-1793959228).

Even more telling is the inclusion of a link to the full list of apps the FDA doesn't care about (https://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/DigitalHealth/MobileMedicalApplications/ucm368744.htm). In particular:

"Mobile apps that are intended for individuals to log, record, track, evaluate, or make decisions or behavioral suggestions related to developing or maintaining general fitness, health or wellness, such as those that:

• Provide tools to promote or encourage healthy eating, exercise, weight loss or other activities generally related to a healthy lifestyle or wellness;
  • [...]
  • Actively monitor and trend exercise activity;
  • Help healthy people track the quantity or quality of their normal sleep patterns;
  • [...]
  • Calculate calories burned in a workout."

So, in a nutshell: enjoy your Fitbit and the other fitness apps (I certainly do) but be smart about it and take the data with a grain of salt.

RT.

Best Answer

This happened to me.  I'm 5'6 and 135.  I need to set to a 750 deficit just to maintain (slow metabolism!)

anyway, I had two days in a row one 19k steps and another 16k.  Both from everyday walking and a total of 109 and 119 active minutes.  On the 16k day, it shows I burned 2800 calories and on the 19k 2200 calories.  This makes no sense.  I'm afraid I can't trust the calorie calculator at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One more note:  since that incident, I feel like the calories burned has become super conservative.  It would be good to know if something changed.

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same issue.  I use to have the Charge HR and now I'm wanting to go back to it because the new Alta HR is doing so much better with calories burned that it's startling.  I went outside to reel and new hose and it was burning up outside yesterday.  I check with my App and it says I did 18 minutes of activity and burned a whopping 366 calories.  It takes me an hour on the treadmill at 3.0-3.5 to get that many calories burned.

I'm very nervous with that number. I don't believe it at all.  I did not think I could eat additional calories either.  I see no one has addressed this.  I'm beginning to believe that the Alta HR might be poorly designed.  I just got a replacement for the first one that wouldn't track exercises at all two days ago.  If this doesn't improve, I will have to replace this with something else.  I wanted one for HR but also to tell me how many calories I've burned.  They seem to just be burning calories.  Today it says I burned 285 calories on myfitnesspal and I went to get my mom, took her somewhere (walking short distance to and from building), went to a restaurant, took her home (in a car), came home and sitting and I burned 285 calories.

I think the Alta HR's need to be recalled.  They are whacky.  I usually have to workout to burn calories from a sustained exercise at a certain heart rate.  I am low carb and I've been keeping my calories to 1300 (25% deficit) to lose weight but I do not trust these numbers at all.

Best Answer

I completely agree. Very disappointed with Alta Hr! 

Best Answer

Just got my Alta hr, had it charging the first night and before I put it on I had over 600 calories burned.  Walked around he house and now have 900 calories burned.  My husband has a Apple Watch and with the same activity had 63 cals burned.  He said doing insanity for 45 minutes he may hit 600-700 cals.  I guess simply owning the Alta HR you burn calories before even putting it on yay!  I should be back in tremendous shape within a few days.  

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.  Customer support just kept telling me it was due to me putting my height weight etc in so it starts there.  I asked if I should put that all at zero, then would it not assume I burned 600 before putting it on.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Keep in mind that we all burn calories just for "being alive", that is, even if we're not doing any kind of physical activity (see http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1381/?l=en_US&c=Topics%3AFood_Calories&fs=Search&...). For me is about 70 per hour, so I start the day (at 05:30 in the morning) with a little more than 400, but of course this changes from person to person depending on age, sex, height, weight, etc.

To have a better understanding of what's going on you could check the "Recent Exercise" section of your Dashboard and click on any of the graphs, which will take you to a page with three more graphs: "Heart Rate", "Heart Rate Zones" and "Calories Burned". The last one is the one you want: check the average, do the math and compare the result with the value reported by the app to see if there's any mismatch.

Hope this helps,

Reece

Best Answer
0 Votes
Reece,

I agree with your statement, but it was charging and not even on a person.

Today I have done very little and burned "1700" calories, my husband has been working in the yard and ran a quick mile this AM & has burned 441 calories on his Apple Watch. There is no way possible I have burned 1700.

They say it's due to the settings when you start it up aka height, weight etc. does it actually do some measurements or just throw a dart and say oh well I'm going to say 1700 calories
Best Answer
0 Votes

The thing is that fitness trackers can't directly measure the calories being burned: to do that you would have to spend a very uncomfortable day in a lab, attached to medical equipment, being prodded on a regular basis, etc. As far as I know only professional athletes do that  and not very often.

However, all this data is widely available so there are statistics telling us how many calories are burned on average according to sex, age, height and weight depending on different type of activities including none at all, that is, being at rest and the latter corresponds  to the Basal Metabolic Rate (MBR) -- which explains why the Alta HR records calories even when you've not been wearing it.

Last but not least, although fitness trackers can't measured calories directly, they're equipped with motion sensors and, sometimes, with heart rate sensors (like the Alta HR) therefore, at least in principle, they should be able to fine tune the averages to each wearer and, hopefully, provide more accurate figures but, and that's the rub, let's not forget that these are no medical devices (it's written on the box too) and, as such, they've not undergone the necessary certification to be proven correct (and don't have to). In other words: take the data with a pinch of salt.

Concerning your 1700 calories being reported: at what point during the day? I guess that could be about right if it was late during the day and you haven't exercised much -- but keep in mind that even doing chores around the house adds up. What's the reading just before midnight and the counters reset? Remember the magic figure of 2000 calories/day and compare your value to that. Also: make sure that your entered your personal data correctly. Stating the obvious, I know... Smiley Wink

Reece

Best Answer
Thanks for all your information and yes, devices can not completely and
accurately do this. It seems some of the fit bits do it more realistic and
i think its more of some update changes in the new line. I am aware that
my husbands Apple Watch is not accurate either, however it does not say you
are burning calories when you are not wearing it, also they seem much more
accurate. The calories i burn while its charging and I am asleep do not
help track the workouts, it makes it more confusing. I will have to decide
to simply just compete against myself, or if i want to get something that
is more than a weight, height and time estimate and average. thanks again,
really appreciate the correspondence. From what I am seeing, it appears
that it is simply a calculation based on basic measurements and does not
take into account what you actually do. I was hoping to track what I
accomplish based on workouts, not a math estimation. It seems like a
glorified step tracker.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think we generally realize that our bodies are burning calories all the time, even while we sleep to "run" our bodies.  However, this Alta HR is not designed to track those calories as exercise or extra calories burned.  This information (calories burned) is confusing and can't be accurate.  I bought this thing to track my calories during my exercise routines, like the Charge HR did very well.  This Alta is not even tracking I am doing an exercise and I don't like it.  This number it's giving for calories burned means absolutely nothing and where it is getting that info (i.e., heart rate, or some other metric) I have no idea.  How these even rolled out from the manufacturer I have no idea.  I even purchased extra bands for it.  This has been a regrettable decision and I can't get my money back from Amazon, but I definitely plan on getting at least a downgrade to a Charge HR (my old band just fell apart on my first one and is another reason I chose the Alta HR for the interchangeable bands) in exchange for this mess from the company.  Whoever engineered this should be fired and whoever OK'ed it should also be fired.  Like I said, they should be recalled or they might end up in some legal trouble.

I don't trust anything it says.  Smart track is a complete joke.

Best Answer

It is supposed to be "monitoring" Heart Rate (although not precise), that is why the Alta HR is called Alta HR.  It shows calories burned because it is a device being sold to give a reasonable "guess" of calories burned, but apparently this thing is all over the place, giving no reliable info.  It's nothing but a watch.  It's being sold to cover the very things you are saying it neither can or be expected to do.

Best Answer

Well, an educated guess is still a guess and, as if we needed any more proof that we can't expect these fitness trackers to be 100% correct, there's yet another research telling us that while they're pretty good at monitoring heart rate, they're a tad too generous when they have to keep track of calories burned likely to keep us motivated. In summary, the article says:

“We were pleasantly surprised at how well the heart rate did – under many circumstances for most of the devices, they actually did really quite well.  [...]  At the same time we were unpleasantly surprised at how poor the calorie estimates were for the devices. [...] Errors on energy expenditure were far greater, ranging from the lowest at 27.4% for the FitBit Surge to the highest error of 92.6% for the PulseOn device.”

Should you feel so inclined, you can check the paper itself but, being a scientific paper, it's really rather dry you've been warned! Smiley Wink

Reece

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just received my Alta HR today. After charging it showed 800+ calories burned before I even put it on! Now about an hour and a 1/2 later of sitting at my desk I am up to 1021 calories burned. What? I specifically bought this to track calories burned while doing my 30 minute cardio kickboxing class. I'll be interested to see what it says tomorrow. If its incorrect its getting returned. I'm not wasting $150! Is there anything special I need to do before I start the class? It should automatically detect my exercise right? Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It should but mine only tracked my exercise once!  I'm thinking about returning this but I can't return it back to Amazon so I will have to return to Fitbit.  Perhaps I will get a Charge HR.  I had one of those before that tracked beautifully.  This one is overrated and underperforming.

Best Answer

I bought mine from Amazon too! I didnt realize you couldnt return it to them. Do you know if I take my cardio kickboxing class tomorrow should it automatically track calories burned and show calories burned for that exercise specifically or just add to the total already burned in the day?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually you still have time to return yours to Amazon.  30 days is the cut-off.  It should do smart tracking during your kickboxing routine.  I know that I jogged with it one time and it tracked.  But it never did it again so I called Fitbit and under their warranty, they sent a new one.  This one is no better.

I'm going to contact them again to trade for a different model.  This is ridiculous.  $150 for a watch.  I guess the Heart Rate feature is mostly accurate but everything else it claims to do along the lines of exercise, it is not doing.You can buy a heart rate watch for much less.  The other features I did not buy it for like sleep tracking and steps.  I wanted it for the exercise tracking and the heart rate.  The Charge HR performed very well.  I loved the way I could start and stop my activity and it basically logged all my calories burned during that time.  The strap fell apart and it wasn't made like the Alta where you can buy different bands.

Best Answer
0 Votes