Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Alta won't pair, setup or update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My wife's warranty replacement Alta arrived today - a helpdesk replacement for one that got unbearably hot when trying to charge and was otherwise 'dead'.

We've tried to set up the replacement against the app on her iPhone 7 - it won't complete the pairing process, though it did start showing to correct time briefly.  the 4 digits always come up when trying the setup process so some communication is taking place. We've tried various things including:

• Resetting the fitbit Alta
  • Resetting Bluetooth and iPhone (turn off Bluetooth, reset iPhone, Bluetooth back on)
  • Updating the app to latest
  • Remove from list of fitbits in the app
  • removing the Alta from the list of Bluetooth devices on the iPhone and trying again
  • A different iPhone
  • Separate account (mine instead of hers)
  • A Windows 10 desktop PC with fitbit dongle and the Windows version of the app
  • Plugged in to charger or not plugged in (running on battery)
  • iPhones on charge at time and not on charge (but batteries OK)

I've checked that the Alta is removed from the list of devices on the iPhone before trying it on the other devices (so not still 'paired' with the other device.

We have been round and round in circles with messages saying pairing not complete, need to setup, need to update etc. all giving errors.  Cannot get it setup or updated at all.  It does show in the account but reports not paired properly. 

With an earlier version of the app I did get FBBluetooth error 3 and FBBluetooth 24 at different times but then updated it only to get different messages.

The Alta mainly just shows fitbit.com/setup though it did briefly show the correct time, and shows the fitbit logo or Version number (21.36.9) sometimes.

I've emailed customer support

Any ideas anyone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Still no joy with the replacement Alta.  Nothing useful from the helpdesk - just asking me to check Bluetooth is on etc.

Further/repeated steps today:

• I have tried turning off Bluetooth, restarting the iPhone and then turning Bluetooth back on
  • I have already updated the Fitbit app to latest version
  • I have removed other devices and ‘forgotten’ them in iPhone Bluetooth then retried
  • I have restarted the tracker using the button on the charging cable many times already as part of the attempts
  • I have tried more than 20 times
  • I have tried on two different iPhones
  • I have tried on two separate accounts – my wife’s and mine
  • I tried with ‘Notifications’ on and with them off
  • I have removed the Alta from the other devices (it has been ‘there’ partially, so I removed it to try again or try on other device)
  • I have tried a brand new account with fresh details and different email address
  • I have tried with Windows 10 PC and Fitbit USB dongle – latest version of the Windows app
  • Each of the accounts and devices can re-register other Fitbits OK (I removed them, tried the new one that didn't work, then put the existing ones back successfully) – we have two other Fitbit trackers in the family, Charge and Charge HR.
  • The Alta partly pairs with the accounts and shows up there and sometimes says ‘synced xx minutes ago.  It even showed the clock briefly
  • Each time I successfully enter the 4 digits from the font of the Alta during the process – and message says ‘finishing up’ but then after a while it flags an error saying failed to complete.
  • If I try to do a manual sync it says it needs to be setup again
  • Sometimes it says Alta needs to be updated – but the update fails every time (using iPhones or Windows)
  • We have a good internet connection – 200 Mbit/s down and 10 Mbit/s up
  • It is as if the Alta is somehow blacklisted or unable to be added to an account from the Fitbit database
  • It came to us from the Fitbit agents, ModusLink in Holland. In a plastic wrapper, not retail box.  Is it some sort of refurbished unit that is a customer return?

Any ideas anyone?

Best Answer

I just tried the older Fitbit Connect app - that doesn't work either

• It finds the tracker, and has me enter the four digit number off the Alta display
  • It then shows 'connecting to Fitbit'
  • Ends with 'An error occurred while pairing!  --- please try again (so no joy whatsoever)

Now waiting for the support desk to get back to me with something meaningful.

Best Answer

So we tried again and again tonight.  Reinstalled app on iPhone, reset everything over and over.  Bluetooth got connected (sometimes by turning on all day sync or notifications and selecting pair) - still won't setup

tried another new account. Same.

WE ARE FED UP.  SUPPORT IS POOR AND SLOW.  WE HAVE ASKED FOR REPLACEMENT NOW.  WOULD PREFER REFUND OR COMPENSATION.

WE WILL NEVER BUY A FITBIT PRODUCT AGAIN.  THE RELIABILITY AND SUPPORT ARE AWFUL!

Best Answer

Amen to that, and we'll never buy another Fitbit either.  We've had the same problem and it fails to sync time and time again with absolutely no fix in sight.  

Best Answer

That latest suggestion is that the devices tried possibly don't meet the requirements - dammed silly as they certainly do. It's blame the customer or another company such as Microsoft, Dell or Apple now it seems, rather than accept any liability...

Best Answer
This morning they said the replacement must be faulty so they wanted it back and would ship me another.

This afternoon they have changed their mind and claim it’s out of warranty so they want me to buy another model instead!

You simply couldn’t make it up!
Best Answer

Hi @g0akc and @SunsetRunner. I'm glad to hear from you. I'm sorry for the delay in my response.

@g0akc, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about your Alta, as well for all the troubleshooting steps that you've tried. I do apologize for this inconvenience, as well for the experience that you've had with our Support Team. I totally see your point of view about this and be sure that your comments will not go unnoticed. I've got in touch with our team and I was informed that they sent you an email with more details about this situation. Could you please confirm whether you received their last response?

@SunsetRunner, thanks for your comments and I'm sorry for the syncing issues experienced with your Alta. I've been informed that you already have a case created with the Support team and they're providing you assistance with this.

I'll be around if you need anything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a similar problem and it is VERY frustrating! After the battery completely died a couple days ago, I fully recharged my Alta and attempted to sync it with the app. I could not get a sync to complete, so I removed the device from my account to add it back. BIG MISTAKE. Now I can't get the Alta and my phone to pair again. I've tried everything. I can't even get the Alta to restart! I tried pushing the button 3 times and nothing happens. Its fully charged and tracking my steps, but won't sync or pair with any device anymore. Makes me really sad! I've had this baby for 3 years and only ever had to replace the band. Just can't afford an upgrade at the moment. 😞 

OP - hope you get your issue resolved. At least I feel a little better knowing its not just me. 

Best Answer

I am having this exact same issue, I use to have it sync all the time but was killing my phone battery so I would sync once a week about a month n a half ago it wouldnt sync. So I tried the reset the device, nothing, trying the force stop app, nothing. Tried removing it from my bluetooth big mistake. I cannot for the life of me get it paired again. I've tried resetting the device when it finally decides to go still nothing... I have tried everything that I can think of or what has been suggested, maybe a bug in the update if other people are having the same issue... I want answers. Its tracking my steps and I can see it all on the device but it takes me 30 to 60 minutes plus fiddling with it trying to get it to sync. 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Hi @jlynnwalter82 and @Kortnee100 . Welcome to the Community Forums!

@jlynnwalter82, thanks for the troubleshooting steps that you've tried. I see where are you coming from and I'm sorry about the experience that you've had. Since your post doesn't mention what other steps you've tried, I'd recommend to try the following:

1. Remove the Alta from the Bluetooth settings in your phone.
  2. Turn off the Bluetooth from any device.
  3. Force quit the Fitbit app and reboot your phone.
  4. Turn on the Bluetooth only in your phone and open the Fitbit app.
  5. Tap on the Account icon and then on the option to setup a device.
  6. Follow the onscreen instructions.

@Kortnee100, thanks for letting me know about your Alta not syncing all the time, as well for the steps that you've tried. I understand your position as your device's purpose is to bring motivation, but be sure that I'll help you out with this situation. To further investigate, may I know your phone's model and the OS version. Also, do you receive an error message when trying to sync?

In the meantime, I'd recommend to setup your Alta as a new device making sure there aren't other Bluetooth devices nearby.

Let me know how it goes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My wife's Alta got replaced, again.  This time an Alta HR was supplied (with our agreement) due to Fitbit logistics issues.

I was able to pair the Alta HR with a spare iPhone (my old one which has been replaced and reset) using my wife's credentials.  However, when my wife got home, and we went to pair with her iPhone we had all sorts of problems.  I tried resetting everything, Bluetooth on and off, iPhones reset, Alta HR reset, you name it - it only seemed to work when I used TWO iPhones - registered it again on the spare iPhone and then eventually got the Bluetooth to pair on her phone by turning notifications on and off.

The pairing process is so flaky!

I'm still not clear whether the original replacement was faulty or not - but at least she has a working Fitbit, for now..... 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @g0akc, welcome back. I'm sorry for my delayed response.

It's great to know that your wife got a replacement, and I;m sorry that you had issues when syncing it. This sounds strange, and thanks for the troubleshooting steps that you've tried. If this happens again, I'd recommend to remove the device from the Bluetooth settings, go to the Fitbit app > Account icon > Alta HR's image > Notifications and pair it one more time so it can stay connected via Bluetooth. Also, make sure to have the Fitbit app updated and the Bluetooth off in any other device nearby.

Catch you later. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having similar problem.  My sleep logs disappeared and could not add back to dashboard.   Tried removing device and reinstalling.  Big mistake.  Can not get Fitbit to pair with iPhone.  Says device not found.  

Best Answer
0 Votes