Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR does not sync with Android app without phone being connected to internet

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

....is this the expected behaviour? If not, how do I fix? I also notice that sync is not starting automatically...again, is that normal?

neeneep

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

When you do a sync it takes the information from the fitbit and uploads it to the fitbit servers. So, you need Bluetooth to connect the fitbit to the phone and Internet access to connect the phone to the fitbit servers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Steve, Thank you for trying to help. Bluetooth is enabled on my phone. You describe exactly what I thought should happen but today when off Internet I tried to initiate a sync but got a message saying that there was no Internet connection and no sync occurred. Sync occurred when I returned to a connection, but not automatically 😕

Any ideas on either issue? 

Thank you for trying to help

neeneep

Best Answer
0 Votes

ok, so we understand why it didn't work off internet.

Are you wanting it to sync when you get back online without you doing anything? If so, you may want to use the "all day sync" in the app settings. This will periodically sync your fitbit (providing you have bluetooth and internet connections). It won't trigger a sync the moment you reconnect but will sync at some point. The downside is that it will drain your battery quicker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Steve, not sure I do understand why it isn't syncing off internet, I do have the all day sync enabled, but in any case, I was trying to initiate a sync manually and that is when I got the 'no internet' message.

I am currently off internet as I am abroad with mobile data roaming turned off and only on WiFi when I am in my hotel etc. So, would hope to sync with my phone even when not on WiFi or mobile data, via Bluetooth. Isn't that what is supposed to happen?

In the more general case, when I am on WiFi or on the mobile network in the UK, syncs rarely seem to start automatically. With my old Charge HR my phone widget and the dashboard always seemed to match my Fitbit display in terms of steps, with my new Alta HR they rarely do, and often do not match each other! I have tried removing and reinstalling the app, but that doesn't seem to have improved things. Am I being too picky or just been lucky in the past?

I am really grateful for you taking the time to respond.

neeneep

Best Answer
0 Votes

It will only sync if you have Internet access. The data you see on your phone app is not stored on the phone, it is displaying what's stored on the fitbit servers on the Internet. When you sync it updates the data on those servers.

I know it seems like you are syncing to your phone but you are really syncing to the Internet.  So, no Internet,  no sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, really confused now.....if what you say is right, then what is Bluetooth used for? I completely understand that the SERVER version won't be updated, but I thought that the phone and Fitbit communicated via Bluetooth,  and the phone updated the server via internet. Am I missing something?

neeneep

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's correct. You need Bluetooth to connect your fitbit to the phone and you need Internet access to connect your phone to the servers. Your phone acts as a kind of bridge between the fitbit and the servers.

Best Answer
0 Votes