Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Beta 3.56.1 - "Nearby Permission Needed" but no such permission in settings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After update today to Fitbit Android Beta app 3.56.1 when I open the App it says that Nearby Permission is needed.  Takes me to setting but in Android setting I have no Nearby Permission.  I have given Fitbit All permissions but still get the error message in the app.

Android 12, Fitbit Sense, Beta App 3.56.1, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78

Same here, no Synchronisation possible anymore. Hopefully a update will available soon otherwise I have to go back to stable version.

Thx

Best Answer

Sooo frustrating! Since the latest update it's happening here too, also in the beta. Samsung 20. I am unable to sync my Sense with my phone as well. 

Screenshot_20220325-203555_Fitbit.jpg

Okay. I uninstalled the beta and the location issue is fixed! 

RodrigoMFitbit_0-1648308649827.jpeg

Best Answer

Did you uninstall and then reinstall or did you just drop out of the beta? 

Best Answer

Yes but not with ease! It took awhile for it to remove me from beta and even though it showed I was, when I'd download it again, inside the app it still showed me as beta. 

What I finally figured out is there was a copy of the fitbit app inside the secure folder,  why I do not know. So I managed to completely remove all fitbit related files, restart everything again and it's all working as it should! 

I hope this helps you and others who may have this happen. 

Best Answer

Woke up to this problem. I hope it's resolved soon!!

Best Answer

Oh man, I am fairly good with tech stuff but this is beyond me. I hope they come up with a fix soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everybody. Thanks for reaching out regarding this new permission needed. Thank you so much for the screenshots. Please note that the Beta Version of the app is in current work and it means the app is on a testing phase before it is actually released to public. Since it is not official released, there are no troubleshooting steps for this particular scenario. I would try to delete the app and install it again. I believe this soon will be taken care of, based on the nature of the Beta test. I appreciate your patience and tips regarding this situation. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

So where do people go now to report problems with the beta?  Since Google Groups went away there is no way to report problems.  Kind of hard to provide feedback on a beta product when there is no place to do it and the response is "I'm sure it will be fixed soon".  How do the developer know there is a problem? 

Best Answer

@R_G_B Thank you for your concern. I have actually forwarded the information. However, the BETA program is another department and I imagined that you as beta users have received instructions for such scenarios. Additionally I believe beta test content should not be shared at all outside the beta community. Once I learn more about this, I will inform you. Thanks for your patience. 

Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

For what it's worth I think we should definitely be able to give our feedback here and have it forwarded to the right team.

However if you are registered for the Beta in Google Play, you can just leave an App Review for it. App reviews on Beta apps are only visible for the developer inside Google Play and are a direct option to leave feedback on any issues with Beta releases.

Assuming the development team tracks feedback that way.

Best Answer
That's not true. If there is a special BETA test you're right, but there is
a complete different platform to do. In this case everybody could opt in
for beta of Fitbit app within play store.
And there is really no way to report any bugs to beta team anymore.

Regards Andreas
Best Answer

I need to be able to fix this today. I am in a step bet and if I can't sinc today I am out. Please help!!  Uninstalling hasn't helped. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work with maintaining app releases on these platforms so I am pretty sure I know what I'm talking about...

But here you go, this is the review/feedback menu in Google Play when you sign up for a Beta release track:

Screenshot_20220326-181009.png

iMarkup_20220326_181605.png

That feedback is directly visible for the developers maintaining the beta releases in their Google dev portal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Posted there for Developer.

I still think they need to have some sort of place for us post when there are issues though so that all beta users can see it and report the same problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Opt out of beta, war cache of play store and reinstall stable version of
Fitbit. Everything works fine.
Best Answer

Go to the app in Google play and scroll down until you see the option to leave the beta. Uninstall the app, and give it a few minutes or so, then you should see the regular Fitbit app to install. It took about 5 minutes for the beta to clear. 

Best Answer

Yeah, finally opted out of the beta (very easy for me... left beta, waited for the indication saying that I still had a beta version installed, uninstall, reinstall, all fixed). I was going to wait for it to get fixed, but I'm guessing that's not happening over the weekend and didn't want to lose any data from my watch.

Really do want to know when it's fixed though, because if this but is any indication, it seems like Fitbit is going to start using Nearby for connections... I'm really curious about what that will mean for how the app works with our Fitbit devices.

Best Answer

Additionally, when I go into android privacy settings, I DO see nearby sync permissions but the fitbit app is NOT in the list so I can grant it.

I have force stopped, deleted and reinstalled and the issue still occurs. 

Best Answer

opting out of Beta as I also have this problem. I spent a couple of decades in coding and QA and to let something like this through to Beta is pretty bad.

Best Answer