Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App will not open

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After updating to Android 9 my Fitbit app will now not open at all.... how can I fix this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
16 REPLIES 16

try

In Android phone Settings *

Apps

Fitbit

Storage - clear cache [not data]

Force Fitbit shutdown

[though it doesn't seem to fully]

Log back in to the Fitbit app

*Quick Shortcut: Press and hold the Fitbit launch icon, then App info [on some phones]

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope 😑  thank you though 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Tammy.

Thanks, Of course you already restarted the phone and also reinstalled the Fitbit App.

Best Answer

Indeed, I've uninstalled, restarted, tried everything like 25 times over the past 2 weeks that is hasn't been working. I get the white screen and fitbit logo for like 3 seconds, then the app just shuts down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well done Tammy, you seem to have tried all the options, it may be a problem with the app on your phone.

Probably best to contact Fitbit Support directly. They may be able to help you resolve it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have contacted them and they couldn't help me either 😑 I'm just at a loss because it was working, then it just wasn't. Like all in the same day.......Im just confused

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes that does seem odd - Can you mention what phone.

You could try starting it with Bluetooth switched off, and/or wifi and/or mobile Internet off, it may lead you to which one is causing an issue or hopefully someone like @Rich_Laue or @JohnnyRow  or @SteveH will have an answer for you on here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a motorola G6. I will try all those suggestions when I get home from work. Thank you so much

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I have an app on my android phone that will not start. The steps I take are. 

Through the phones settings / Apps / App Name: in this case Fitbit

• Clear cache
  • Stop app ( swiping out of memory does not stop the background service or the Bluetooth driver)
  • Then I reboot phone to clear any app remnants that may have not been removed. 

If the above fails. 

• Remove app
  • Install fresh copy of app
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, did you get your app to open. Mines been down since the same day and I'm on a motog8.

Still not working and Fitbit has no Idea.

Best Answer

I had a similar problem on my android 10, where fitbit launched (and sometimes worked) and usually crashed

the solution I found was to open up the app properties and select internal shared storage (it defaulted to SD card)

for me this option was on the same menu that you can clear the app storage

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Yes I just found I could do that last night.

I uninstalled Fitbit which was on the SD card.

Then I transferred everything from the card to internal storage.

Reformatted SD card.

Installed Fitbit this time to internal storage.

And it worked for the first time in 11 weeks.

Maybe the techs at Fitbit are handing out awards to folks like us🤣😁🥇

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit app is not designed to run on an SD card. 

If my app doesn't open, I clear cash and through the phone settings, force stop the app. Swiping the app out of memory will not stop the app, it only stops the user interface. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

if the app is designed to only be on internal storage only it should detect the install location and notify the user on launch..

Fitbit chose to have it crash unexpectadly and unexplained.

It left us beta testers... sorry, paying customers to work it out for ourselves..

suppport were no asssistance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since Fitbit installs it's own Bluetooth drivers, that get embedded into the operating system, and the app needs to be running, even if never opened, both of these mean the the app will have issues on most phones of installed other SD card. 

To become a beta tester, the user will need to sign up, and get accepted. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please observe an app that can detect that it is installed on an sd card and advises the user of reduced funtionality

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobiletools.calendar

some phones default installs to the sd card with no interaction by the user.

in this scenario Fitbit simply crashes, giving the user no indication of why.

I get that it has to be on internal storage.. but when its not, the user needs to be advised as to why it is breaking.

The app does not advise.. neither do support.

Best Answer