Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMI dropped to zero

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I don't normally keep track of my BMI, which is why I didn't catch this until just now. For whatever reason, my BMI dropped to zero, apparently last week. I don't know what caused this, or how to fix it. My weight is correct, and I haven't changed any other settings. Screenshots:

Screenshot_2016-07-27-05-08-04.pngScreenshot_2016-07-27-05-08-14.pngScreenshot_2016-07-27-05-08-37.png

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Nice bug catching @BlackRoseHeart

Have moved this thread from the Flex to the Android App section to increase the chance of getting a solution.

Your post will get more attention here.

-

When desired feel free to log out from the Fitbit App & login again, optionally try clearing the cache of the fitbit app in the phone settings:

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-201-how-and-when-clear-app-cache-or-data

* Credit to androidcentral

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. It's still the same, BMI at zero. Annoying, but not a necessary function for me. I'm sure it is for someone, though, and hopefully they can get it fixed soon.

The first thing I did was log out and back in again. Then I cleared my cache. Then I uninsatlled and reinstalled. Still zero.

Best Answer

Feel free to check if your height.. is still correct in the 'edit profile' settings on fitbit.com:

https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just checked, and my height, stride length, everything is still set the way it's supposed to be. BMI still at zero.

Best Answer

When desired, the Fitbit Support Team can be contacted:

India | United Kingdom | United States

Mention what you've already tried to speed things up.

Wishing a beautiful day

kitty

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @BlackRoseHeart and @SunsetRunner! its's great to have you here. I would like to further investigate the issue you are mentioning, Please confirm that the BMI in the app is still showing as 0 since the latest release of the Android app version 2.31. Also please confirm if the BMI reading is the same for the date range you selected here: https://www.fitbit.com/weight. If it still showing 0 or any discrepancy, please provide me a screenshot so I can continue investigating this issue. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer

Thank you @AngelaMa

Yes, things are still out of whack on my app. I am running version 2.31, and yet the BMI is still showing ZERO. I have taken 4 screenshots of the app, showing 1 week, 1 month, 3 months and 1 year.

BMI 1 weekBMI 1 monthBMI 3 monthBMI 1 year

I've also taken a screenshot of my weight and body fat at 3 months, so you can see that both are showing  correctly. And a screenshot of my personal info showing that entered correctly.

Weight 3 monthsbody fat 3 monthsPersonal info

And finally, a screenshot showing that the BMI on the website is correct, oddly enough.

BMI website

Let me know if there's anything else you might need. I don't check my email every day, so it might be a few days before I respond. But thank you so much for looking into this problem!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AngelaMa

Things are getting more bizarre here. I always enter my weight and body fat into the Fitbit app on Wednesdays. When the Fitbit app syncs with the MyFitnessPal app, my weight is automatically entered into the MyFitnessPal app (I love not having to enter things in both places!).

After my last post, I went into the MyFitnessPal app, and noticed that my weight hadn't automatically synced from Fitbit, so I entered my weight manually into the MFP app. Then I looked at the Fitbit app, and saw that the apps had synced, and there was an extra entry for today (Thursday) in the Fitbit app, but it was missing the Body Fat percentage (MFP doesn't have a field for Body Fat).

That's when I noticed the BMI on the Fitbit app was changed! So I'm guessing there is some sort of weirdness going on between the syncing of the 2 apps.

Screenshots:

weight after syncing with MyFitnessPalBMI after syncing with MyFitnessPal

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BlackRoseHeart Thanks for providing screenshots of the pages that show your weight data. I noticed on the screenshots for some days and you don't have BMI because there are no weight entries. Once you log your weight, it automatically calculates your BMI.

Regarding your concern about MFP, this third party doesn't sync weight with Fitbit, only food and exercises. So it won't compensate the BMI information. It has to be directly on your Fitbit account (Weight section).

Let me know if more questions arise! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry @JuanJoFitbit, it doesn't appear that you've understood my problem here. I've explained everything in full detail. I will wait for a response from @AngelaMa, who does seem to have an understanding of what is going on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @BlackRoseHeart! I was reviewing @JuanJoFitbit reply and I took the time to test what he was mentioning about the BMI and if you don't log the weight directly on your Fitbit dashboard it will not display the BMI. For example if you are using MFP to log your weight it won't sync to Fitbit so it won't show the BMI. I tried to replicate this on my account and this is what I got, the days that I log weight the BMI changes, and it will remain the same until you log another weight, please take a look at this screenshot: 

BMI.PNG

It will show the BMI only for the days you manually entered the weight on your Fitbit Dashboard. 

Hope this helps! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer

Fab Angela Cat Happy

Fly

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ugh! Clearly someone isn't reading the actual words I wrote.

Please go back to see where I wrote that I enter my weight into the Fitbit app every Wednesday. I've always done that. That is NOT what is causing the problem.

The ONE time I entered my weight into the MFP app (because it didn't sync from Fitbit as it normally does), it synced TO the Fitbit and miraculously my BMI went back up from zero.

Please please please read my actual words that I took the time to type out in the most understandable way possible. I don't know how to make it any more clear than I already have.

Best Answer

@AngelaMa and @JuanJoFitbit

I'm going to try explaining this again.

In October 2015, I bought my Fitbit. I enter my weight weekly, on Wednesdays, into the Fitbit app. I enter both my weight and my body fat % (as calculated by the Body Fat Navy Calculator since Fitbit doesn't automatically calculate body fat %).

My BMI was always calculated by Fitbit. I didn't do anything but enter my weight, and it calculated my BMI on its own. I rarely ever looked at my BMI because to me it's not important. So I didn't notice right away that it had stopped calculating my BMI.

In June or July of 2016, Fitbit stopped calculating my BMI, and it dropped to zero. That is when I made my first post here in the forums about it. Here is a screenshot to show you the past year.

Past year of BMI

After I posted about the problem, it was moved to a different part of the forum, and for the next 2 weeks, we tried troubleshooting the problem. Nothing solved it. On August 18, 2016 I made a random, unexpected discovery.

I have ALWAYS entered my weight into the Fitbit app, and it has ALWAYS synced TO the MyFitnessPal app without a problem. I never even thought to check the MFP app to make sure things were still syncing properly. But apparently, they weren't syncing properly. So I entered my weight manually into the MFP app.

When I went back into the Fitbit app immediately after entering my weight manually in the MFP app, I saw that my weight had synced FROM the MFP app TO the Fitbit app (without the body fat%). That's when I also noticed that the BMI jumped up from zero back up to normal (40.9). Here's another screenshot to show you what I'm talking about.

BMI after syncing with MyFitnessPal

I once again posted a comment explaining all the steps I'd taken, and included screenshots. And for some reason, neither of you seemed to understand what I'd so carefully typed out.

Let me state this again. I enter my weight into the Fitbit app every Wednesday, and I have done this since October 2015.

In the next screenshot, I'll try again to show you, with pictures, words and arrows, what is happening. Every weight entry prior to August 18 was entered in the Fitbit app.

On August 18th, I entered my weight into the MFP app, and it synced TO the Fitbit app. On August 18th, my BMI went from zero to 40.9.

On August 24th, I entered my weight into the Fitbit app, and my BMI dropped back down to zero again. 

On August 25th, I realized the Fitbit app did not sync TO the MFP app again, so I manually entered my weight into the MFP app. Once again, the MFP app synced TO the Fitbit app, and my BMI once again jumped up to normal 40.8.

Today, August 26th, I entered my weight into the Fitbit app, and my BMI dropped to ZERO again.

entereing my weight in fitbit app

proof of BMI problem in fitbit app

So it's very clear to see. If I enter my weight in the Fitbit app, my BMI is calculated at zero.

If I enter my weight into the MFP app and it syncs TO the Fitbit app, it properly calculates my BMI.

There is very clearly a problem here. Something is not functioning properly, and this should probably be escalated to an actual technician so the problem can be fixed.

Since I can't explain it any more clearly than this, and since I've taken a lot of time and effort to show you what is happening, for something that I really don't even care about, this will be my last comment. If it gets fixed, great. If not, I don't care. But I'm sure someone out there would like to have this problem fixed, because I doubt it's happening just to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your participation in the forums @BlackRoseHeart and thank you @SunsetRunner @AngelaMa and @JuanJoFitbit for helping out in this thread. 

I am very thankful for all of the information you've provided so far; I wanted to let you know that I'm also a MyFitnessPal user (way before I was a moderator!); so I've had a chance to move around and try it out for a couple years so far. 

In this case; there's a problem we've noticed that happens with the MyFitnessPal -> Fitbit integration; it's more commonly seen in caloric discrepancies, duplicate workouts or multiple food logs. Nevertheless;body fat logging is the first time I've seen it!

What happens is that these 2 platforms share so much information; that they tend to either duplicate (like in workouts); add up (like in calorie burn) or nulify eachother whenever similar data appears through the other platform.

By logging your weight through the quick log button on MyFitnessPal's App; you are cancelling out your BF% stat already logged through Fitbit and it will count it as a brand new log, only adding weight. If you wish to log in your Body Fat through MyFitnessPal; you'll need to tap on 'Progress', then tap on Weight and then tap on 'Fitbit Body Fat %'

Here are a couple screenshots that may help Smiley Happy

Screenshot_2016-08-29-09-56-05.jpegScreenshot_2016-08-29-09-56-52.jpeg

Hope this answers your question! Take care! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

@HelenaFitbit thanks for your reply. It seems you do have much more of an understanding of what's going on, except the problem isn't the Body Fat %, it's the BMI.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your response @BlackRoseHeart; the BMI number you get is a result of the addition of your last logged weight, current height and body fat percentage you get after doing a bioimpedence test. 

As a result; clearing out your body fat % will clear out your BMI since this is a calculation done by Fitbit; not MyFitnessPal. You can also add your BMI number on your MFP account using the same method. Smiley Wink

Let me know if you have any questions! See you around. Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Ugh. Forget it. Just when I think someone has a good grasp of what is happening, they say something that shows me they don't.

I'll just keep entering my weight into my Fitbit app, and the BMI will stay at zero. I don't care. But I sure do hope someone eventually reads and understands what I've typed, so the problem can eventually get fixed.

Perhaps it's time to escalate this to an actual technician ... someone who can actually fix the problem.

I'm done, won't comment on this again.

Best Answer

I've got exactly the same problem...and was hoping someone would be able to help...

Best Answer