Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why the app needs access?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can someone explain to me why the Android Fitbit app needs access to my Location, SMS, Device ID & call information and access to my Contacts/Calendar information?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner - I'd be happy to explain more about Android app permissions. As part of Google Play, users are required to accept all permissions for any app that they would like to install prior to installation. Here are the permissions for the Fitbit's Android app and how we use them: 

- Identity: We use this to push Google Cloud messages to the app. For example, Fitbit notifications like low battery, step goal, etc.

- Contacts/Calendar: We use this to search for fellow Fitbit users within your contact list. Calendar is listed with contacts in the Play store but we do not use your calendar.

- Location: This is used to track runs/walks/hikes using your phone’s GPS for the MobileRun feature.

- Photos/Media/Files: In order for you to add a profile photo via the app, we need to access to your photos. Media and files are grouped in with photos, but we do not use those.

- Bluetooth connection information: This is used to sync your tracker.

- Telephony: This is used to send call notifications to the new Fitbit tracker models (Charge/Charge HR/Surge).

- SMS: This is used to send SMS notifications to the new Fitbit tracker models (Surge).

You don't have to enter any personal information or allow access should you not want to. Disabling access, however, may take away from the full user experience. Disabling access to your files, location, contacts, etc. would affect your sharing experience and gaps in personal information (age, height, weight, and gender) may affect your activity results. 

Per the terms of our privacy policy, we don't sell any data that could identify you. Additionally, Fitbit will only share data about you when it is necessary to provide our services, when the data is de-identified and aggregated, or when you direct us to share it. For more information about our terms and conditions of use, please click here

You don't have to allow access should you not want to. If you change your mind in the future, the option is always there.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be glad to answer them. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorAmrita | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Tips for your next healthy meal? Get cooking!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

The app supports caller ID for the Charge, Force, Charhe HR and the Surge so it needs access to your contacts list. The Surge will also have SMS notifications. It also will have a GPS for tracking walks/runs so it needs location access as does the MobileRun feature.

Best Answer

It would be nice if this were activated within the app, rather than as a general feature for everyone.  These are incredibly invasive privacy options.  My flex doesn't have these features and I have no desire to share that information with FitBit.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

Android does not allow you to selectively enable and disable app permissions like iOS. (I wish it did!) So developers have to include all permissions that might be needed. Otherwise, they would have to create multiple versions of the same app.

Regardless of what tracker you have, everyone has the ability of finding Fitbit users with the app and inviting them to be friends if they are in your contact list and use the same email address for their Fitbit accounts. So, the app needs that permission to your contact list.  Can shady app developers require permissions that there is absolutely no need for and are simply to get at your data? Of course, but most in the Android Play Store do not and when you come across them you should report them to Gogle. I have seen apps removed for that very reason.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner - I'd be happy to explain more about Android app permissions. As part of Google Play, users are required to accept all permissions for any app that they would like to install prior to installation. Here are the permissions for the Fitbit's Android app and how we use them: 

- Identity: We use this to push Google Cloud messages to the app. For example, Fitbit notifications like low battery, step goal, etc.

- Contacts/Calendar: We use this to search for fellow Fitbit users within your contact list. Calendar is listed with contacts in the Play store but we do not use your calendar.

- Location: This is used to track runs/walks/hikes using your phone’s GPS for the MobileRun feature.

- Photos/Media/Files: In order for you to add a profile photo via the app, we need to access to your photos. Media and files are grouped in with photos, but we do not use those.

- Bluetooth connection information: This is used to sync your tracker.

- Telephony: This is used to send call notifications to the new Fitbit tracker models (Charge/Charge HR/Surge).

- SMS: This is used to send SMS notifications to the new Fitbit tracker models (Surge).

You don't have to enter any personal information or allow access should you not want to. Disabling access, however, may take away from the full user experience. Disabling access to your files, location, contacts, etc. would affect your sharing experience and gaps in personal information (age, height, weight, and gender) may affect your activity results. 

Per the terms of our privacy policy, we don't sell any data that could identify you. Additionally, Fitbit will only share data about you when it is necessary to provide our services, when the data is de-identified and aggregated, or when you direct us to share it. For more information about our terms and conditions of use, please click here

You don't have to allow access should you not want to. If you change your mind in the future, the option is always there.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be glad to answer them. 

Fitbit Community ModeratorAmrita | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Tips for your next healthy meal? Get cooking!

Best Answer

I just got a Charge. If I turn off Location Access will it extend battery life? I don't care about GPS mapping where I've been. Other suggestions on preserving battery life? Mine was drained in less than 24 hours after taking it out of the box.

Best Answer
The GPS and location are in your phone and will have no affect on the Charge battery life. The amount of times you sync will affect it though. Do you have background or all day sync rumbled? If so disable it.
Best Answer

Does it access your phone's contact list if your account blocks access to friends or is there a setting I need to change on the Android?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a Fitbit HR not realizing Fitbit was going to access my contacts.  Is there a way to stop Fitbit from doing that, or should I just return the Fitbit?  If I wanted to contact my friends, co-workers or church members who are Fitbit users, I would ask them if they are Fitbit users.  I don't need/want to do this, nor do I want Fitbit to tell my contacts that I bought one.  

I have been using my Fitbit for two weeks (without app) and I need to know how to disable this "feature" ASAP before the time limit to return the Fitbit (30 days) expires.  Without the app the phone/Bluetooth doess not work, so if I can't make the app work I need to return the Fitbit.

Best Answer

Fitbit isn't contacting anyone unless you contact someone through Fitbit. There's nothing to disable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Michelle_M @tastybrew please read Amrita's content above.

Best Answer

I did read it.  I assume that since she is a Moderator, she works for Fitbit.  She said "We use this to search for fellow Fitbit users".  I have issues with Fitbit using my contacts for anything.

Best Answer

I'm afarid Fitibit is loosing a lot of customers because it is compulsary to share the contact database on your android telephone.

Think of that: I have several hundred contacts in my database for various business contacts.

Would I want Fitbit to send them all an e-mail and ask them to join me on Fitbit?

You must be out of your mind.

There is so much the Fitbit system can do. But it's a pitty they have decided to limit their potential by making such a stupid requirement for installing the app on the telephone. 10 years ago you could lure people like that. But not any more.

Fitbit people: Wake up. People are getting smarter and you are falling behind.

Best Answer

Thank you for asking, Fitbit does not share any of your data.
it requests access to your contacts for the convenience of adding froends. In the app go to your friends list, press the '+' to add friends, you will see the option to search your phone contacts. This will be the only time the app looks at your contacts, if you don't want fitbit to look at your contacts then dont ask fitbit to search them.
What the app does is look at the email addresses for any known to have fitbits, then displays their fitbit name.

Best Answer
Hi. I am also concerned and do not understand why Fitbit for Android requires access to the following: (1) Identity; (2) Contacts; (3) Location; (4) SMS; (5/6/7) Photos/Media/Files; (8) Camera; (9) Bluetooth connection information; and (10) Device ID & call information. At this time, I will choose to NOT use this app because Fitbit has not convinced me that their service is worth the invasion of my privacy. Please convince me.
Best Answer

Don't use the app then. I'd be curious to know what other apps you have on your device(s) and what permissions you gave them. What about all of the permission that you gave Google by having an Android device?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@geckogal wrote:
Hi. I am also concerned and do not understand why Fitbit for Android requires access to the following
: (1) Identity - so it knows who you are. 
; (2) Contacts; - so it can done friends that have fitbits,  ands for the caller id on the newer trackers
(3) Location - for the gps tracking with the app 
; (4) SMS - to send text messages to the Surge
; (5/6/7) Photos/Media/Files; - for the shareing function of yule rums in the app
(8) Camera; Sam's thing
(9) Bluetooth connection information; so the app cab sync type fitbit. 
(10) Device ID & call information. Almost every app needs this. 
At this time, I will choose to NOT use this app because Fitbit has not convinced me that their service is worth the invasion of my privacy.

Best Answer
Hi TastyBrew. You're right. I don't have as many apps as some of my friends. I do look at the app requested access. 
Best Answer

Why does my fitbit surge need acess to my camera and microphone in the android app?

Best Answer

The mic comes along with the camra, the camera is for the sharing function of the events. This share users a picture or photo you take with your camera. They ask for permission upfront so that layer when typy press share they don't have to ask

They only connect to photos or camera when you  ask the app to share an event. 

It only connrcts to contacts when you ask th ed app to.

Bluetooth pairing is only needed for when you want to pair your Fitbit to your phone. 

If your gwtting the picture you'll notice that Fitbit asks for permission for when you ask the app to do something. The app does not look at these just for the sake of it.

Best Answer