Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why the app needs access?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can someone explain to me why the Android Fitbit app needs access to my Location, SMS, Device ID & call information and access to my Contacts/Calendar information?

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

Android has made changes to permissions in Marshmallow, this will make it easier to choose which permissions that you want an app to have.

Normally a third party app, and maybe a rooted phone was needed for this feature.

Best Answer

I added my profile pic from my pc. 

When I saw fitbit needed access to my camera I had to delete the app.

fitbit does not 'need' my pictures.     

I still get what I need which is he HR. 

Best Answer
@ewallin if we leave the contact base out, how is the caller id going to work with the Charge, Charge HR, Blaze, Surge, and Alta?
Best Answer
BTW access to the camera doesn't give Fitbit access to your pictures. Not having access to the camera will make it hard to log meals by their bar code.
Fitbit asks for access so that it doesn't need to ask for permission anytime yippy request the app to do something.
The app does not randomly go into your phone, it does go into your phone in response your request.
Best Answer
The discussion about why the fitfit app needs to have access to camera,
contact database etc is irrelevant.

The real question is: Why is it compulsory in order to install the app.?

The answer is:
Fitbit does not have honourable intentions with this access. If they
had, it would have been an option you could choose or not choose.

I am especially worried about the access to the contact database.
Not only does it give fitbit company an access to your private contact
database, but they are actually using it, or maybe I should say misusing it.

I think the fitbit company is loosing customers big time because of this
policy.

Take care everybody
Best Answer
  1. The app is not compulsory to use, you are more then welcome to sync through the computer. You.can still copy and paste email addresses to invite people. Manually add food, you won't be able to scan bar codes of your favorite quick dinners, etc.

This is the users decision, but if three user wants to sync through a phone then the app will need to be installed, since it is the only interface between the tracker and tyre server.

I assume you already read the Privacy Policy, link also found below, and are able to back up your accusations with facts.

As for access to your contacts, this will only happen after the user chooses and initiates the command to search phone contacts for those known to have Fitbits. 

As for choice to what access, there is a program that does not need a rooted phone that can do this, and I've read that Android Marshmallow allows the user to choose.

I realy think you should be aware that having a cell phone with you, that also is turned on its more of a security risk than Fitbit can ever be. Google, apple, Microsoft, and your phone company know where you are every minute, even with location services turned off.  

http://gps.about.com/od/gpsproductoverview/fl/How-to-Find-Your-Location-History-By-Google-Maps-or-iP...

Best Answer

In Marshmallow, if an app wants access to something I've disallowed, it will pop up with a request to allow, and I have to approve it.

I've turned everthing off that's "social" related. No Camera (I use MyFitnessPal), no SMS, No Contacts.

The Fitbit app has NEVER requested access to Contacts or SMS (Camera because I accidently accessed that funciton - which I disallowed). Ever.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's correct @SunsetRunner as stated above, the Fitbit App will only access the camera sns, contacts, etc, only when the user requests the app to access these. If the user never asks the app to access them, the app will not take the initiative.  

Best Answer
How do I block fitbit from sharing that I own a fitbit to people in my contact list? Also, I want to remove fitbit's permission tp access my contacts, how do I do this?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Preventing the app from having access to your contacts wouldn't keep anyone from knowing that ypu have a Fitbit. This access is strickly so you app may know which of the emails in your contact list have firbits registered to them.

The only way to hide the fact that ypu have a fitbit is to make sure the email that is connected to is not the email your contacts use. 

Best Answer
Thanks Rich.
My email has been updated
Best Answer

Really sound argument here.  Just because you gave other apps permission for location means that you should be okay with a device that should not need it mandating location information.  

Don't pretend that it's benign that all of a sudden FitBit requires location to sync when no other bluetooth devices that I own require it.

I give google maps permission to my location because thats what it is for.  I do not see any value to me to share my location to FitBit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bloopdooop your comment has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, I'll answer it anyway

As explained in other threads, this is not caused by a change with Fitbit 

This is caused by a change in the Android operating system. 

If Fitbit made the change would you not think that they would change it for all versions of the Android OS, not just stop with marsnellow? But why limit it to just android? Fitbit could require it on iOS and windows phones? 

All Fitbit wants is the identity of the tracker so that the server knows what account to put the data into. The MAC address of the tracker is its identity. 

Marshmellow wants to no the location, why? I don't kniw, before it will pad the MAC address on to the app. 

It is the operating system that wants to know the location not Fitbit. The truth is that the OS doesn't pass the location on to Fitbit, just the identity of the tracker. 

BTW: when it comes to location services GPS has little to do with it. Your android is and Google have no problems locating your phone without GPS. In fact go to location services settings set it to power saving and GPS will never be used, your map might not like it. 

To be honest location services will only use the GPS when a cell signal or WiFi hotspot can not be located. 

Or you aware that Google knows every SSID and location of every hotspot in the United states. There even or apps and a website, you put the address in and it will show you the SSID of all known hotspots at this location. This info and cellular tower location is the main data location services uses. 

Now to understand why Fitbit uses the Mac address instead of the identity of the account the app is logged in to. We need to look at how Fitbit connect works.. It sends a signal out asking for every Fitbit to respond. Now it goes down the line and syncs every fitbit that answered. This is why my computer will sometimes sync my 4 fitbits, my next door neighbors Fitbit and the 3 fitbits in the house across the street. Many have found there tracker a are syncing through unknown computers while at work. 

Best Answer

Specifically,  why does the app require location to sync with the FitBit? Location is NOT necessary for a Bluetooth device to sync (the app gives this as the reason). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Android does allow you to selectively set permissions. Also, you may selectively set permissions per app. This functionality is located under settings, applications, application manager.

Best Answer

Specifically,  why does the app require location to sync with the FitBit? Location is NOT necessary for a Bluetooth device to sync (the app gives this as the reason). 

I'd like to disallow access to location and still use the device otherwise. I don't mind losing the functionality of mapping my walks or runs. I would still like to use the other features that don't depend on location. Is this possible?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KevinPete please go and read through the past posts, Fitbit does not require location, they do require the tracker's MAC address.. 

I'll let you go back and read a few of my past posts above as to why Google and android require location services it does not require location, there is a big difference. 

Best Answer

Thanks Rich. Taking your advice (and others) I tried again to load the Fitbit app on my Android S7. The install did not give me a long list of requested access. It did ask for location, which I denied. The app works fine without it. I've had my fitbit flex for a year and used it by syncing through my computer. I am looking forward to tracking food and water at the time they are consumed. Thank you for ALL the posts. Happy New Year 2017!

Best Answer
0 Votes

But if you only have a flex... Which does not have the track option why should us lower grade fitbit users have to have location. And drain battery?  It doesn't make sense.. 

Best Answer

I am returning my fit bit due to privacy concerns. While I understand that google play requires the user to accept its absurd requests.... fit bit does not make it easy to turn off these personal items.

Best Answer
0 Votes