Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add distance when logging Spinning

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I use the app to add my spinning exercises. Normally, when I'd select spinning, there would be a distance field that I could fill, but recently that has not appeared anymore. Tried Run and it appeared, just does not want to work for Spinning. Logged out&in again, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, nothing works. What's happening here? How do I get it to work properly again?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Hello @Danii_C and welcome to the Community.  I am an iPhone user, so I'm not sure why you had a distance field before.  I am responding because I believe you should be using the Spinning exercise shortcut on your Sense.  Your Sense bases your calorie burn on your heart rate.  When you log your spin class in the app, your calorie burn gets estimated using a large database of average calorie burn by activity.  This estimate, which shows the same calorie burn per minute for the whole exercise, replaces the data collected by your Sense.  Logging in the app is best for older devices that don't have heart rate monitors or exercise apps.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Danii_C Spinning never supported distance. I very curious where have you seen it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20220328-141508~2.png

These are some of my previous ones, but I have loads more where I was able to add distance to it. 

Best Answer

@Danii_C this is interesting, I have never seen the distance as a metric in Spinning (but tracked it using an exercise app, not logging it manually).

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only metric that I care about is the distance. I do virtual challenges that work on distance, and the app is linked to Fitbit, so it uploads distance calculating my steps and whatnot. I was actually really happy I could add the distance, because once per day it would upload all my distance for the virtual challenge. And then I stopped for a couple of weeks, and when I started again, that field stopped coming up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Never mind. Hope you get it sorted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The challenges I do aren't just for walking, as some routes are hundreds of miles long, others are thousands of miles long, and are meant to be done cycling. We're allowed to do them walking or running or cycling or swimming or pretty much any combinations of all of those. 

I have a Reebok GB40s that records, among calories, HR, time, watts, load, etc also distance, so I can get the milage I do my challenges. It was just an easy way for me to have all the distances uploaded on the challenge page all at once, once a day, so I'd not have to faff about each time I did a bit of cycling, as I usually take breaks from work to hop on the bike do a 10 minute run. 

The steps I take when I walk upload automatically once a day in the challenge, I wanted my biking to be the same, and it was convenient rather than do what I have to do now: add the exercise in the Fitbit app, then go in the challenge app and add the distance manually there as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

@Danii_C Thanks for the steps tried prior to posting, and the screenshot provided. Your feedback is also appreciated and it won't go unnoticed as it'll help us to work on our devices, and make Fitbit more useful for you. By the way, I've moved your posts to the Android App board as there are more chances to get related replies here.

About your inquiry, this is odd as the distance field should appear when manually logging Spinning on the Fitbit app. Because this isn't your case, do you recall since when this started to happen? May I know the model and OS version of your phone?

In the meantime, please give a try to the following:

1. On your phone's settings, tap Apps > Fitbit > Storage > Clear Cache.
  2. Go back one screen, tap Force Stop and reboot your phone.
  3. Open the Fitbit app and pull down on the screen to force a manual sync.
  4. On the Exercise tile, tap the + icon then Log.
  5. Search for an exercise type ad select Spinning.
  6. Enter the activity details, and tap Add.

@LZeeW and @t.parker Thanks for your insights and help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I looked at manually adding spinning on two different Android phones and there's just Date, Duration, Calories. No distance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my experience, Fitbit never allows you to edit/add distance, so I am curious about the screenshots. It either calculates distance from your steps (walking/running) or from GPS.

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer
0 Votes

@charleskn my understanding is that Distance is (or should be) there when you log manually so you can enter anything you want. If you track spinning using Exercise app there is no distance. Now however I see no distance field either in the Android app when trying to log the Spinning manually.

Best Answer

I have never been able to add a distance when manually logging Fitbit's pre-defined activities. However, for my custom created activities, I can add a distance, such as for my dog walking activity that I created. I would use this more to categorize the activity, but it does have the added bonus of being able to log a distance. Start from the Fitbit activities page @ https://www.fitbit.com/activities

charleskn_0-1648674841154.png 

Here is a better screenshot of the bottom of the activities page. On the left you would add an activity using one of Fitbit's pre-canned activites, and there is no way to enter distance. On the right are all the custom activities I created on the activity page, and where I grabbed the screenshot above.

charleskn_0-1648691313876.png

CharlesKn | Mid-Atlantic, USA
60+, strength and cardio
Charge 5, Android, Windows

Best Answer

Hi there, @charleskn and @TommyIzzo. It's good to see you here.

Thanks for your sharing your insights about this matter, and the screenshots provided. Before anything else, let me clarify that the issue mentioned by our member is related to the Android app and not the fitbit.com dashboard. That being said, I was able to add distance when manually logging Spinning on my phone, and because some of you don't see this field available, may I know if you've tried the steps suggested in my previous post? If you have, please provide me with the following so I can investigate on my end:

• Model and version of your phone.
  • On the Fitbit app, tap your profile picture > Help & Support and let me know the version.
  • If you were able to see distance before, do you recall since when this field disappeared?
Best Answer

Hello @LizzyFitbit ,

I just tried your troubleshooting procedure and got no success.

Screenshot_20220403-165849.png

Pixel 6

Fitbit app version 3.56.1

(I don't think I was ever able to add distance)

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Thanks for the detailed information and the screenshots provided.

@Danii_C@t.parker@TommyIzzo and @SunsetRunner  You've done a good job with the steps suggested in this thread and because this issue persists, I've requested a case on your behalf so our Support team can investigate and see what can be done to help you with this matter. Due to the current events affecting our operations there might be a delay in their reply. However, our team will work on your case and get back to you soon.

@charleskn If you're also having issues to enter your distance when manually logging Spinning, you can try getting in touch with our Support team to receive further assistance. They're available via chat and phone, just click here to get connected with them.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @LizzyFitbit ,

I just tried and this time the distance field appear while I'm definitely sure it didn't last time i tried. Maybe an app update fixed the bug?

Best Answer

Hi there, @Rufous44.

Thanks for keeping me posted, and your efforts while logging your activities. I'm glad the distance field appear this time and in case you need help with something else, don't hesitate to share it as I'm sure you'll receive help from the Community.

By the way, let me invite you to check the Health & Wellness board where you can share your story, make new friends and start your own topics. Happy stepping! 😎

Best Answer