Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enforce on High Accuracy Location

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All,

I understand Location is needed to improve the sync progress between the device with the app. I am fine with that in fact I left my location turned on because of fitbit app, but with Battery Saving on Location mode. It working fine so far until recent update of fitbit app. I do not know why it detect the location mode and enforce on using High Accuracy to allow the tracker to be sync. 

As previous announcement post has mentioned that this app does not collect my location information, Location is required to be ON is to improve the sync progress, but what I concern is I do not want my location mode to be high accuracy as this will somehow cause some battery drain on my phone. Enable your location on with high accuracy mode all the time somehow is dangerous because you wouldn't know the applications you have granted location permission what will they do with the information. 

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Hello @nxjeff, it's nice to have you aboard the Fitbit Community. Indeed you are right about the concern in some cases with unknown apps the data they are recording. In the case of the Fitbit app as you have mentioned the Location permission is required in Android v6.0+ in order to perform BLE scans.

This implementation was not our initiative, since Google added this requirement due to concerns that BLE beacons could be used to infer user location via Bluetooth alone. Although the battery will be affected by having in high accuracy mode your locations services, although this will only happen when you are using the GPS feature of your phone.

Rest assure Fitbit does not record your location when you are not in an active GPS exercise session.  We only use this permission to perform BLE scans in order to sync with your tracker.

Let me know if you have more questions, All your feedback is well received.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer