Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit app will not run in background Android 9

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm running Android 9.0 on a Pixel (one) XL.

The app will not run in the background.  When I go to exercise->bike on my Inspire HR, it will only connect to my phone when the phone is unlocked and the app is running.  The second I lock the phone, the connection is lost.  So yes, Bluetooth + GPS are enabled etc etc...

All permissions are enabled for the Inspire, both within the app and within Android's settings.  When I go to battery usage/optimisation for the Fitbit app, "Background restriction" option is greyed out, with a comment below saying "Background usage can't be restricted".  Well it bloody well is restricted.  And rendering my £90 device virtually useless.  "Battery optimisation" is off.  "All Day Sync" and "Always connected" are enabled.

The only workaround I've found is to delete the app EVERY SINGLE TIME I CYCLE, re-download, re-sync, connect while phone is unlocked and app open.  Only then when I lock the phone will it work.  The next time I try, however, the app won't run in the background.  It's like Android hasn't sensed it yet ergo can't restrict it running in the background.

What's going on? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

It would appear that enabling notifications forces the phone to allow the app to run in the background at all times.

...k.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually @xeon48 notification services is an addition to the Fitbit app and needs to be running for notification and connected GPS to work.. Your actual Fitbit app does not need to be running. 

Also through the notification settings on the app it is possible to enable notification services without enabling the different apps to send them. 

Another cause for failure is in enabling power management to handle the Fitbit app, this will suspend the Fitbit app when moved to the background. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another cause for failure is in enabling power management to handle the Fitbit app, this will suspend the Fitbit app when moved to the background. 

Considering it is now fully functional after enabling notifications, I think it is safe to say I have given this application all the permissions it needs.

Actually @xeon48 notification services is an addition to the Fitbit app and needs to be running for notification and connected GPS to work.. Your actual Fitbit app does not need to be running. 

This is news to me.  This information cannot be found here nor here.  Nor in the manual, nor in the setup instructions.  Nor anywhere in the app, including notification settings.

If this is common knowledge, where is it written down?

Best Answer
0 Votes
  1. Sorry @xeon48 I don't see where I said that it was common knowledge.. I was coming from my and other users, as posted in various posts, experience. 

I do agree that this should be added to the help docs as something to check. 

Many users have also found that clearing cache is helpful for a sync issue on android. Customer support also asks users to do this, yet the help doc doesn't mention this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry @xeon48 I don't see where I said that it was common knowledge..

****If**** this is common knowledge, where is it written down? "

I do agree that this should be added to the help docs. 

It's absolutely ludicrous that this isn't the case.  This is core functionality, and there are no instructions on how to set it up.

Total joke.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you thought about looking in your user manual or the online manual as well as the help docs? So of which can be accesses through the help link at the bottom of every page or through the fitbit app. 

How do I set up my Fitbit device?
Set up and get started using your new device.
Why can't I set up my Fitbit device?
Make sure your phone, tablet, or computer meets all the requirements for getting started with your Fitbit device
How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device?
Receive call, text message, calendar, and other notifications on your Fitbit watch or tracker if you have a compatible phone.
My Fitbit device isn't receiving notifications from my phone
Try these troubleshooting steps if you're not receiving notifications.
What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?
Learn about how the Fitbit app interacts with the Android operating system

Sorry you are saying that it is common knowledge, not me. I read it on a post found in the Fitbit community. 
Best Answer
0 Votes