Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit App crashes while using with Google Maps and causes map issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When using Google maps to navigate I am frequently getting a "Fitbit application has stopped working, restart / report" message. I also now frequently see maps reporting "searching for GPS". Most of the time this is successfully found but sometimes it is not, maps freezes, often with another fitbit has stopped working message, and I have to (stop safely and) restart the navigation. Never had this happen until fitbit was installed and I don't think it's coincidental when the fitbit app is behaving so badly generally. Would be happy to just turn the app off for the duration of the drive but it's a persistent little so and so.

OP edited to clarify subject (not "maps issues", fitbit causes maps issues!)

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @SusanHD.

Thanks for bringing this up and explaining the situation. I'd like to take a closer look at the situation.

My recommendation in this case would be that you check where the app is installed:

1. Go into the phone's settings and then into the the application settings.
  2. There, tap on the Fitbit app.
  3. Tap on the option to move the app from an external device to the phone's storage, or vice-versa. 
  4. After the app is moved, restart your phone.

After that it should work correctly without closing like that. It is possible that the location the app is installed in is causing it to stop working at that particular instance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. I've done as described, I haven't had a chance to test running maps, but the result of moving fitbit to sd card means now the app can't be updated by the play store. Is there a way to update on the card?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SusanHD.

Thanks for bringing this up and following the steps I recommended.

You should be able to update the app by moving it back to the internal memory or simply by uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it again.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any further questions I can assist you with. 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue. I don't have an option to move my apps install location because I don't have an external card.

Every time I go in a road trip with Google maps navigation running, the Fitbit app continuously pops up a crash notification.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Putting the app on the card didn't help anyway so don't worry about not being able to do it. The idea of moving it back and forward every time it needs updating is hopeless and my next phone won't have a card either. I do have a couple of apps on the memory card but they are ones which I actively don't want to update. I don't want to sit moving fitbit to update just because it is crashing. This is the worst thing about this app, on a 2 hour journey the other day I had to press restart about 5 times. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue. Everytime I have google maps running the fitbit app crashes and blocks my view with the crash popup notification. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did manage to catch it at the point where there was an option to send a crash report. Obviously impossible if you're using the maps and driving because the opportunity doesn't stay on screen long but it happened right at the end of a journey so I generated the crash report and had a look. There was something in it about lack of memory or memory overload. Sorry can't remember exactly. As it was the phone storage was also getting full and the battery was dying so I was up for a new phone anyway. I went big with a OnePlus 7 pro and haven't had a single map / Fitbit crash since. So sadly it seems the answer was to buy a new phone. I don't know if this is down to the memory being bigger or the phone os having better ability to stop apps running in the background, but for example I no longer have the Fitbit icon in the top bar most of the time. Of course the answer should be to be able to turn off the Fitbit app if you need to, not buy newer phone!!

Best Answer

FYI this has recently started happening to me in a Motorola Moto G5s Plus. Fitbit version is 3.1.1 and Google Maps is 10.30.2. Phone is running Android 8.1.0 with August security patches. Fitbit will crash over and over whenever I'm using maps. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Fitbit but that doesn't help.

Best Answer