Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 2 not connecting during setup

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got a new Fitbit Charge 2 to replace my old Charge 2 when it's battery gave back in 2019, but I have been unable to set it up with any phone I happen to own. My most recent phone, Moto G Power is great but the Fitbit still refuses to be recognized whenever I try and set up. Any recommendations on getting my Charge 2 to finally work?

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hello @fallenwarrior13 

Can you please look here to make sure the phone you are trying to set up your Charge 2 is compatible with the Fitbit App: https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/technology/compatible-devices. If I’m not mistaking it’s an Android 11 but it would be helpful to know if yours is at least an Android 10 or better. 

If your particular phone is indeed compatible maybe I can help. Are you trying to replace your old Charge 2 with the new Charge 2 by using your old Fitbit Account? I say old Fitbit account because you said your first Charge 2 died in 2019. Did you get another Fitbit between 2019 and the current Charge 2 you just got?? 

Basically I need to know if your going be using your old Fitbit account to set up this new Charge 2 or are you wanting to create an entirely new account for your new Charge 2? If you you your old account your old data will be there. If your set it up on a new account your old data will of course be gone. 

😉 Let me know some of the things I asked you about here so I know the approach I can use to help you. 

Best Answer

My phone is Android 11. I had received the new Fitbit shortly after the old one died but it has never connected to any of the devices I have had between early 2019 to now. I would like to continue to use my old Fitbit account that I first opened back in 2016, but understand if that may not be an option. I did delete the old Charge 2 from my account when the replacement arrived as I thought it would cause compatibility issues at the time. Any help you can recommend will be a major help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello again @fallenwarrior13 

Hopefully I can walk you through the setup process to get your new Charge 2 up and running. Let’s try to get it set up on your old Fitbit account. Make sure your new Charge 2 is charged. 

To set up your Charge 2 as a new device please follow these instructions carefully. Please don’t skip a step: 

1. I’m not sure how far you got in the setup process with your new Charge 2 before you were having issues so remove the new Charge 2 from the Bluetooth settings. (Tap unpair on your Android) I’m certain your old Charge 2 still isn’t connected but if for some crazy reason it is remove it. If your Charge 2 is not showing on your Bluetooth at all proceed to step 2 (Basically make sure no fitbits are connected)
  2. Turn off other nearby Bluetooth connections.
  3. Check if the Fitbit App is updated (very important) and your Android phone is up to date as well
  4. Log out of the Fitbit app and restart your phone.
  5. Restart your Charge 2: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186.htm
  6. Log back into your Fitbit app, tap your profile picture then scroll down and tap Set Up a Device.
  7. Select Charge 2 and follow the onscreen instructions. If your asked if you want to replace the Charge 2 say yes.

😉 I’m hoping this works out. Please come back and tell me how it went

Best Answer

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you. I have tried every step and it still refuses to connect. It doesn't even appear in the Bluetooth settings. I wonder if I may have been sent a lemon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m gathering, from reading all your post, that you’ve basically had this newer Charge 2 since early 2019. I’m wondering, since it sounds like you have attempted to setup up your newer Charge 2 so many times to different devices, that it might be helpful to factory reset your newer Charge 2 and then try to set it up again as a new device as I described in my earlier post. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to try. Your completely out of the 1 year warranty period so getting it replaced at this point wouldn’t be an option. 

If you want to try to factory reset your Charge 2 here’s how: 

1. Attach the Fitbit to its power source, and then start holding down its single button.

2. After two seconds, unplug the USB cable from its port, still holding the button.

3. Count eight seconds, release the button for one second, then press it down again.

4. The screen will flash ALT; release the button for one second, then hold it down again.

5. The Fitbit will vibrate; release it for a second, then hold the button again.

6. The screen will say ERROR; release it, then hold again.

7. Finally, the screen will read ERASE. Let go. Your tracker has been reset.

After you’ve done a factory reset then try and set your Charge 2 up again as a new device: 

(Before you begin make sure your Charge 2 is not connected and showing anywhere on your Android’s Bluetooth)

1. Check if the Fitbit App is updated and your Android phone is up to date as well
  2. Log out of the Fitbit app and restart your phone.
  3. Restart your Charge 2: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186.htm
  4. Log back into your Fitbit app, tap your profile picture then scroll down and tap Set Up a Device.
  5. Select Charge 2 and follow the onscreen instructions. If your asked if you want to replace the Charge 2 say yes.

Please come back and let me know how it went 

Best Answer

It's a Charge 2, not a Charge 5

Best Answer
0 Votes

I apologize @fallenwarrior13 

😉 Your correct that I used the term Charge 5 instead of Charge 2 in the beginning of my last post. The instructions are still the same. Definitely just a typo. Now corrected 

Best Answer

I will try the factory reset again, but idk if it'll work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Once you’ve done the factory reset don’t forget to set it up again as a new device using the instructions I provided earlier. 

Best Answer
0 Votes