Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app falsely says there is no internet access

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In network environments where ads and tracking are being filtered, the fitbit app is unable to function normally, and falsely reports that there is no internet access.

An easy test is try to change the watch face or install an app on the watch while behind a pi-hole dns server or within some corporate networks.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi LizzyFitbit

• the problem is exhibited on two Android 10 phones (Galaxy S9+, Galaxy Note9), with Fitbit app version 3.48
  • two watches, both Charge 5
  • the problem occurred right out of the box
  • the problem only occurs when these two hostnames are not resolvable*:
  • the app does not need to connect to those hosts to deliver the content, which is at a third address:
    • gallery-assets.fitbit.com

* Some more technical explanation:

1. what does resolvable mean? When an application uses a name like www.fitbit.com to connect to a service, this name is resolved to an address. The resolution of names to addresses is a key service in a network environment.
  2. what are these hostnames? These hostnames are used by application developers to track users' behavior and improve their application. This practice is commonplace on mobile devices. You may be aware of situations where you were asked 
  3. The reason why these two hostnames are not resolvable is that they have been blocked by the network for privacy and security reasons. This is very common practice.
  4. Many other applications use these telemetry and tracking services, but the difference here is that the FitBit developers did not account for situations where the app could not connect to them, and continue to function normally. Literally dozens of other major applications on our phones tablets and computers function without access to their tracking & telemetry hostnames. For this reason I would characterize the problem as a defect.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I did some more testing and found that the offending DNS query is cdn.optimizely.com.

The error message is "oops, looks like there is no internet connection". This error message is not accurate.

Best Answer

I have the same problem with my router which has ad filtering turned on. It is ridiculous.

Even on mobile data, i am seeing the same problem. Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Best Answer

Enzoaneas, please test again because this should not affect you on mobile data. Disconnect wifi completely and refresh.

The only way you would have the same condition on both wifi and mobile data would be if you have a local ad filter installed on your android device.

I was able to isolate it by logging the network traffic and it was clearly caused by the two DNS queries I listed. My current workaround is to disable wifi and I immediately have access to those pages. Also Note 9 on Android 10.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner and @Enzoaeneas. Welcome to the Community Forums.

@SunsetRunner I've moved your posts to the Android App board since this seems to be more an issue rather than a feature suggestion. Thanks to you and @Enzoaeneas for the detailed information, as well as your efforts while working on this matter. To look into this, please provide me with the following information:

• By any chance, does the same happen when using a different network?
  • Do you recall since when this started to happen?
  • What is the Android version of your phone?
  • Is the Fitbit app also updated on your phone?
Best Answer

Hi LizzyFitbit

• the problem is exhibited on two Android 10 phones (Galaxy S9+, Galaxy Note9), with Fitbit app version 3.48
  • two watches, both Charge 5
  • the problem occurred right out of the box
  • the problem only occurs when these two hostnames are not resolvable*:
  • the app does not need to connect to those hosts to deliver the content, which is at a third address:
    • gallery-assets.fitbit.com

* Some more technical explanation:

1. what does resolvable mean? When an application uses a name like www.fitbit.com to connect to a service, this name is resolved to an address. The resolution of names to addresses is a key service in a network environment.
  2. what are these hostnames? These hostnames are used by application developers to track users' behavior and improve their application. This practice is commonplace on mobile devices. You may be aware of situations where you were asked 
  3. The reason why these two hostnames are not resolvable is that they have been blocked by the network for privacy and security reasons. This is very common practice.
  4. Many other applications use these telemetry and tracking services, but the difference here is that the FitBit developers did not account for situations where the app could not connect to them, and continue to function normally. Literally dozens of other major applications on our phones tablets and computers function without access to their tracking & telemetry hostnames. For this reason I would characterize the problem as a defect.
Best Answer

Hi there, @SunsetRunner.

Thanks for getting back with more details and for your research. Because your phones meet the requirements, I confirmed they're compatible with the Fitbit app. I understand where you're coming from about going through this situation and my best advice is to get in touch with our Support team so they can take a look into this matter and investigate on their end. Click here to get connected with them via chat or phone. I'm sure they'll provide you with assistance, so please make sure to share all these details with them.

Best Answer

I'm not sure why it would be productive to contact support, since we know what root cause is and how to work around it.

The solution isn't satisfactory because the implication is that we can't use fitbit app without agreeing to tracking.

Best Answer

I agree. This is a serious breach of privacy considering the app itself is capable of collecting all of the needed metrics with regards to usage. Why would it need to be aggregated with websites that I visit or other data?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't unpacked any of the telemetry, but the typical purpose of this isn't necessarily a privacy invasion.

From a strictly software operability standpoint, if the telemetry servers are down, the app should still work. That's the substance of my bug report.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having this same issue. The Fitbit app doesn't work on my home or work WiFi networks. My home network uses PiHole and Cloudflare to block spam, tracking, spyware, etc. My work network does similar filtering. I live in the country in a metal building. No cell service in my home so disconnecting from WiFi isn't an option for me. I have a similar situation at work. Our offices are in a metal building that blocks cell service, so WiFi is my only option there as well. So right now I have to leave my home or work to be able to use the Fitbit app This is a huge problem and it looks like it's been going on for quite a while. Are there any updates on if the Fitbit developers are going to fix this? If not I'll be getting rid of mine and going with another device that doesn't have this issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes