Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit tracking my hand movements

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello my name is Sara. I’m new to Fitbit. Just bought mine tonight. While laying down I noticed it is tracking my arm movements not my steps. How do I fix that?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Welcome to the Community, @SunsetRunner.

I am sorry for the delay in respond. I just wanted to let you know that I have moved your post from the Lifestyle Discussion Forums board to the Android App board, since I think that here you will be able to see more information about our devices.

Regarding the issue you are experiencing with your steps, Fitbit devices have a finely-tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.

When working at a desk, cooking, or performing other activities with arm movements, a device on your wrist may add some steps. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement, such as working or cooking, you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps.

For most customers, the number of extra steps added by arm-based movement isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. For more information, you can check the help article: How does my Fitbit device count steps?.

I will catch you later. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes