Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel Watch 2 GPS data missing

Just took my Pixel Watch 2 LTE for its first parkrun today and recorded on it on Fitbit exercise. I don't have data on the watch but it was connected to my phone by Bluetooth. It only tracked just over the first KM of the run before the GPS cuts out. Final distance is correct (estimating from stride length?) but there is no map tracking beyond that point. Any solutions?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
271 REPLIES 271

This probably means that there is some sort of issue when carrying the phone and watch at the same time. Reading through the whole thread, that is probably what's causing it.

I mostly take my phone as I like listening to audiobooks, so it usually goes with me on my backpack.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No i never take my phone on a run, watch only and its never tracked a run properly yet

Best Answer

Well that's annoying. Thought we were onto something!

Best Answer
0 Votes

sorry lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see that Google just released a new update to the Pixel 2 LTE but they haven't provided any details on the bug fixes that were included so it would be great to hear if this has resolved the issue or if it's ongoing with the latest release.

Best Answer

cant see it, or surely they would have released a fix for the none LTE version such as mine

Best Answer

I had a thought about this scenario, not taking the phone on your run. Do you start tracking your activity watch within range of your phone? My thought is maybe it's still connected to the phone or still THINKS it's connected to the phone and tries to use the phones GPS and then just fails miserably because the phone is completely disconnected. The whole Ghostracer thing might still be a good test if you're inclined.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looking at my map, I started my run on the watch about half a block away from my home where my phone was located and the initial GPS functionality worked for the first KM where I would have been well outside the connection range so I'm not sure this was my scenario.

Best Answer

No I turned off Bluetooth on phone a good 5 mins before I went for run with watch 

Best Answer

Just got back from a 3 KM, my first since installing the update for the LTE version and it tracked my run properly. I've only been on 4 runs with the watch, but this is the first time it's tracked properly. Coincidence?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Downloaded Ghostracer. Used it with my watch alone (did not take my phone) and it recorded my run perfectly. Pretty much confirms a software issue with the FitBit app tracking on the watch. Hopefully, if that update did fix things for the LTE version, it trickles down to the non-LTE versions soon.

Another run with Ghostracer - another successful track.

Best Answer

I had GPS drop on a walk today with the update on the LTE version, so unfortunately I don't think the update resolved this. I had terrible battery drain after as well, which is only resolved by a restart.

Best Answer

Thanks for covering so many options to fix! Have you tried turning off Bluetooth on your phone before running? Heard that recommended too.

I have the same issues as everyone has described. I had this on my Pixel Watch 1 as well. It's happened every time with my PW2 however. I've tried Wear GPS Fix, no avail.

You can turn off the prompt from the watch settings for cycling in the exercise app.

Best Answer

I've been having some luck by going to fitbit exercise and letting the app get a gps lock ("GPS connected") before starting the actual exercise. All my walks/runs are now fully GPS tracked.

Probably not a solution for everyone and a cumbersome at it, but I don't mind the extra 5/10 secs until a lock occurs.

Best Answer

Unfortunately doesn't work for me, and I can see others have tried this. I always wait.

I have tried so far:

- Wear GPS Fix. I still have the issue and just end up waiting around longer in the cold.

- Running a different route.

- Switching Bluetooth off. This is a ridiculous fix. Didn't work.

- running with and without phone

- restarting watch

  

1000103706.png

1000103710.png

1000103709.png

1000103705.png

I have reached out to support on Fitbit and they have reached out to me to say higher ups are investigating.

It seems to be consistently after a certain period of time, when I ran the same route direction you can see it cut out at a similar point. When running the opposite way, same thing after similar time frame. On two other routes I did not have the issue weirdly. Pixel 1 tracked fine on the longer route most of the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this problem as well. My first couple of runs/walks the GPS tracked great. Then it broke halfway through a walk and stopped working entirely. I've recently updated the location settings on the watch to allow fitbit to use my location "all the time" instead of "only while using the app". Since I've made this change, the tracking hasn't failed. I did temporarily switch it back this morning before a walk and the GPS refused to connect. Once I went back to "all the time", there were no issues. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone. Thanks for your posts and explanation about this situation with the Pixel Watch 2 GPS tracking. 

I am glad to read it has been working for some now. I apprecaite you all taking the time to test out the different suggestions we find on this thread. For those of you who are already in contact with support, I suggest you keep in touch with them. I will keep on monitoring this thread and as soon as I find out more about this, I will let you know. I really appreciate your patience and cooperation regarding this matter. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Fitbit on my watch has had 'all the time' location access on my watch throughout. Unfortunately, this does not seem to solve it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have run with the GPS on through the Strava app on the Pixel Watch 2 for 3 times, did not have any GPS issue. It seems to occur only with Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, but this issue was well reported on Pixel Watch 1 as well. Will anything be done now more than a year on?

https://support.google.com/googlepixelwatch/thread/213999394/gps-cutting-out-mid-run-on-pixel-watch?...

Best Answer
0 Votes