Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I install Fitbit app for Android 6?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I have a Samsung S5 running with Android 6. How can I find an app for my phone ?

Thank you

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

@RodrigoMFitbit  - thanks for the feedback but @Lilbiddy  has it correct.

If a user has any Fitbit watch and the old Fitbit App that works fine but has been instructed to remove the Fitbit App and find they can no longer reinstall it that immediately renders their Fitbit device useless.

There is no question of support (for new features) involved it is just denial of use.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

I use Android 12 so I'm far away from this problem

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @RodrigoMFitbit,

In this conversation, you are the second one to justify planned obsolescence as an inevitability, while indicating that you are not a developer.
I am a developer, but I don't need to be a developer to see that on the Android Play Store, there are still thousands of applications compatible with my old smartphone. The majority of them are still being updated. In December, I was able to reinstall all the apps I've been using for years, except one: The Fitbit application.
At Fitbit, so far, I get answers from non-IT people who explain that planned obsolescence is normal and usual. Goog effort!

At Fitbit, are there also IT people  who could explain why they can't do what almost every software company does?

At Fitbit, is there anyone to correct an error that generates great dissatisfaction among users?

It's been a month since I opened this topic. Maybe it's time to act!

With kind regards,

Christian

Best Answer

It may be that the older OS will not be able to support the new features. 

I've seen plenty of apps that do have a minimum OS version requirement. Android 6 was retired almost 6 years ago. 

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue Please read the whole thread. It has been stated several times that an updated version supporting all the newly added bells and whistles was not required. We just wanted the last (functional) one left available for users with an older phone. 

As I have repeatedly said the case in point I am using Android 9 with app version 3.53 and cannot get some data that is readily accessible on version 2.63 on my Kindle. Before you say anything, I know this isn't an authorised version yadda, yadda etc. ad infinitum, but the point is it works unlike the current one in my case. Also a lot of us probably have an older phone which we could at least use as a backup to synch information if something happens to our current one. Personally I prefer the display of the older version, especially as it doesn't have all the bits pushing premium wasting space all over it.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue  -  the point is not a question of support, but...

As @Lilbiddy  and others have remarked, if the watch, app and phone will work fine together, there is no reason to disallow installing it.

What worked before uninstalling the app should still work the same after reinstalling it.

Disallowing installing it serves only to deny use of the product and upset customers for no good reason.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

@Guy_ the point is, that with the fitbit version that runs on android 6, many fitbit functions do not work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue  the point is that the version that was running on Android 6 was working well enough for the people that were using it.

Why else would they complain when it was removed.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue, @Odyssey13@RodrigoMFitbit, as said @SunsetRunner (01-05-2022 18:17), the question is : Why Fitbit don't leave in the Play Store the last version supporting previous Android requirement?

Saying that the latest version is better than the old one is not a good answer, because you can leave the old version and offer the new one at the same time.

Answering that other companies do the same thing is not a good answer either, because the lack of performance of some does not excuse the lack of performance of others, especially when it is easy to meet the demands of one's customers.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

The app only supports trackers released 4+ years ago, but please remember we are, like you, only fitbit users and can only speculate

Best Answer

So the old app would suit my five year old charge 2 perfectly ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lilbiddy I'm quite sure. 

@Rich_Laue  yes, we are nornal users but I think @RodrigoFitbit and @KateFitbit (who at the time said the old version was not going to be removed from the Play Store) should be Fitbit employees and it's to them that we are speaking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner yes they are fitbit employees responsible for maintaining the web community, they have no say and litle understanding on the "why the development team" makes the decisions that they do. The majority of what happens in this community, happens because of the community of fitbit users. 

Best Answer

Hi everyone.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about this situation. As mentioned before, the Fitbit app was optimized to work on mobile devices based on the requirements of each model and OS, and future Fitbit app versions adapt to any change implemented in the iOS. This helps us to ensure that every feature will work correctly. Further details about what mobile devices are compatible with the Fitbit app can be found here.

I understand where you're coming from and I'm sorry for the inconvenience experienced. Your feedback is truly appreciated and please know we'll continue working to improve our devices, services, and the overall Fitbit experience.

I'm going to close this thread from further comments. In case you have any other question, I'd encourage you to create a new topic in the Help Forums to receive help from the Community. You can always check our Help Site where you'll find more information about our products, features, as well as troubleshooting steps.

See you around

Best Answer