Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid that Fitbit app uses phone's battery?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've seen several previous threads where this question was never actually answered, short of rooting the phone and using a third-party blocking app.

I don't want to turn off/hide the message that Fitbit is using battery, I want Fitbit to NOT USE BATTERY when I'm not actively in the app.

Everything I could find is already off/restricted - notifications, syncing, Wifi data usage.

Is there a way to NOT HAVE FITBIT RUN IN THE BACKGROUND or do I need to find another device/app?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@cyndilynnrose Welcome to the Community. Thanks for the research done prior to posting. 

I appreciate that you mentioned that you already turned off notifications, syncing and Wi-Fi data usage. 

You can turn off battery limitations by doing the following: 

1. Go to Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization.
  2. Change the view to All apps.
  3. Search for the Fitbit app and choose Not optimized.

You can continue learning about it by checking this article: What should I know about using the Fitbit app on my Android phone?

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you saying it should be optimized or not optimized? I'm fine with not optimized as long as it only sucks battery when I manually open the app. At any rate, I've toggled it both ways (it was optimized previously, now it's not) and it still shows background battery usage.

As far as the link, that is not helpful in the least and I wish y'all would quit listing it with every one of these "how do I turn the app off" posts. It certainly implies you CAN turn off background services, but provides zero assistance in doing so. I DO choose to not run the app in the background. Still can't make it turn off.

"If you choose not to run the Fitbit app in the background, you can still manually sync your Fitbit device by opening the Fitbit app. For more information, see How do Fitbit devices sync their data?"

Best Answer

@cyndilynnrose Thanks for getting back. Your feedback is appreciated, we're always working to improve our services provided. 

Yes, it should be Not Optimized. Please confirm that you've turned off background restrictions or limitations by doing the following: 

1. Go to Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app
  2. Tap Background restrictions or Background limits to turn off the setting.

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

On my phone, it gives the options of restricted, optimized, and unrestricted. Which should I choose to prevent the app from running in the background?

Thank you

Best Answer

Hi @Mountain_Ash - restricted should disable background but this is not necessarily a good solution if you want notifications on the watch.

If phone battery is your major preoccupation turning off Bluetooth and/or location virtually cripples the Fitbit App so it can't use much battery. The advantage is they can be turned on and off more easily, and save more battery than disabling background running of the app.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Thank you. I'll do that.

Best Answer

@Guy_ Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

@Mountain_Ash Thanks for the reply. As @Guy_ mentioned, "restricted" will prevent the app from running in the background. However, that has direct impact in other app functions, such as notifications. I would also suggest turning off locations services. That will prevent syncing on the Fitbit app and will save you battery, since GPS will be deactivated. That way you will get more out of the battery a day. Hope this helps!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Thanks.  I've deactivated both bluetooth and location whenever I'm not using the app. No battery drain on my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes