Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MobileRun missing data after pausing - Android 2.43+

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/26/17

Hello, everyone! I wanted to make it known that I haven't forgotten about this issue with MobileRun. Our team is aware of this ongoing problem, however, I don't have a timeline for when there will be a fix available. I understand many of you are frustrated with this feature, and I hope to give you all more information soon. Thanks for your continued patience! 

Just to be clear, this thread is for the MobileRun issue for when you initiate a Run/Walk, if you 'Pause' your activity and then 'Resume' after you finish, you will not see your map or some of your exercise data. Alternatively, this does not happen if you 'Pause' and 'Finish' your Run/Walk right away. 

Fitbit Update: 7/20/17

Thanks everyone for providing the information requested about this MobileRun issue. It appears since the Android app version 2.43, users who initiate a MobileRun on their devices and later pause it at some point will not have all the data saved when syncing afterward. This data can include the map and distance data. 

I really appreciate your cooperation and patience while our team works towards a resolution. I know many of you have been active on this thread and I want to make sure you know all your input has been very helpful in determining the factors. I will continue to update this thread when there is more information available. Thanks again for your help! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
876 REPLIES 876

@RobertoME - Perhaps as a moderator you may have more knowledge of how to escalate this matter so it receives a higher priority than it does so far.  As has been posted before, it is now 1.5 years since this problem arose (use of the 'pause' button wipes out the tracked run) and there have been over 800 posts about it.

It would be nice if a senior manager could post a reply detailing why it is taking so long to fix.  Asking us to be patient is wearing thin.  You are right, we are beyond frustrated.

Best Answer

Thanks for bringing this up, and for mentioning the issue with pausing an activity!

I've been losing most of my longer activities and came here to search why this happened, and your question explains it, I suppose - I have only lost them when I've used pause! I would not have made the connection myself, and even though I am a longtime Fitbit user I have not used this Exercise portion of the app much. Thanks again!

I hope this exercise glitch gets fixed soon, but at least now I know why it kept failing. While we're at it - hey Fitbit, any chance that "Biking" could be added as an activity besides Run, Walk, and Hike? Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Best Answer

Just tested 2.70, the problem is still there.

Please pin this discussion thread.  If the "silent mode notifications" discussion is important enough to be pinned, this one certainly is too.

Best Answer

Hi there @BamIAm@Talacrush and @fawlty. My apologies for the late response and for all the troubles this issue is causing. Thank you for your questions and I totally understand the frustration against this bug.

@Talacrush regarding your concern, rest assure I'm giving follow up since this issue has been escalated already and is under investigation. I know, I have said this before, however with some bugs it might take longer that is planned; let me reassure all your comments are not going unnoticed.

The only workaround at the moment while we have a fix, is to avoid the pause button if the issue is affecting your MobileRun exercises. Note that despite the amount of users are reporting this issue, this is limited only to a group of users as not all are having the same experience.

I'm in the wait to hear more updates. As soon I got them, I will visiting this thread.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is absolutely outrageous. I switched from Polar to Fitbit for social reasons -- all my friends were using Fitbit, and we liked having stepping competitions -- but I see no reason to not switch back to Polar if Fitbit can't do something as simple as properly track a run with pauses.

Best Answer

There are 3 topics about this same subject:

MobileRun missing data after pausing - Android 2.43+ (810 posts)

Fitbit app won't save mapped walks (9 posts)

Map disappears after using pause/resume on app (15 posts)

The fault was first reported on 12 Feb 2017.

It appeared since Android app version 2.43, users who initiate a MobileRun on their devices and later Pause it at some point will lose everything on that run/walk prior to the Pause being initiated

I would suggest using this MobileRun missing data after pausing - Android 2.43 thread from now on to keep this thread alive and informative.

I appreciate the moderators’ messages of sympathy and assurance the bug is being worked on but, not for the first time, I would suggest putting some serious focused effort into solving this.  We’re now on version 2.7 and it’s over a year later.  Reading some of the posts on this, it has become more than a minor inconvenience and people are turning away from Fitbit.

Best Answer

@Talacrush the thread you suggest posting to is the thread your posting in???? 

One reason for the three threads is simply because the search function is not used by most posters. 

We also have similer threads on the hardware boards. 

I do agree that this is the main thread, look at the top post. 

Best Answer

This thread needs to be "pinned" until it is resolved.

Going to give the Strava app another whirl on my evening walk.  Fitbit's lack of attention to this long-standing bug, along with the hit or miss nature of their compatibility with current Android phones, has me looking at other alternatives.

Best Answer

I'm guessing it's limited to the group of users who use the exercise tracking. 😉

There's no way that this isn't happening for everyone who uses that function.

Best Answer

I'll try today, but in the past there have been problems that occured only when the the phone had a specific unrelated app installed . 

Best Answer
0 Votes

2.71 doesn't fix the problem.

I consider the inflated price I pay for your trackers to be a healthy subsidy for the app and web components. This long-standing, major software bug should be an embarrassment for you. 

Best Answer

I've fixed my problem - just ordered a Garmin ☺

I'm a member of a Facebook running group that has 16,000+ members and whenever anyone asks for a recommendation for fitness tracker 98% say Garmin, 1% say Tom Tom, Suunto or Jawbone. The remaining 1% say fitbit. I've jumped on the Garmin bandwagon.  Still keeping the fitbit aria scales so not completely gone yet. 

Best Answer

Rolled all the way back to 2.42.  Seems to be working so far with my Versa, no access to clock faces or apps though.  MobileRun working properly is more important to me than those anyway.

Best Answer

2.42 is not a good fit for the Versa for various reasons. 

Lots of complaints with Versa's "connected GPS" would go away if you'd just fix MobileRun to use as a reliable alternative.

Best Answer
Should we all choose a day, and then tweet Fitbit about this issue? They
appear to be completely ignoring this issue on the forum, so we need to
raise awareness.
Ionic, Blaze, Charge HR, Flex. Android 7.0 (Samsung Galaxy S8)
Best Answer

Just to add another user - I couldn't figure out why my runs weren't saving. I stop at mile 1 to strech and then reset run. Last 3 runs didn't save. I am using the app to track because my watch is at a buddy's across the country. 

Pretty annoying to see this issue from over a year ago  

Best Answer

@Wills4567, this is my biggest peeve with Fitbit, second only to the unhelpful responses from their moderators regarding the issue.

Finally figured out how to get my Versa to stay connected to my phone's GPS (mostly) but it would still be nice to have MobileRun as a reliable backup.  This feature being "broken" so long makes them look incompetent.

Best Answer

@fawlty, loaded it up on an older Samsung phone I have (Galaxy S5) that's on their approved list.  Got exactly the same results as with my newer phone, Moto X Pure.  My newer phone works fine with version 2.42.

I'd bet good money that this issue applies to ALL their Android users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bought a used iPhone 6s, tried MobileRun out on it.  It works perfectly, pause button and all.

This issue is specific to the Android app.  You'd think that Fitbit would cater to that user market since it means that the Apple Watch is not a competitor.

Now that I have an iPhone, the Apple Watch is a temptation. 

Best Answer

The main thread on this subject is in the x forum for a reason. 

Yes Fitbit is aware of it being an android issue but still hasnt pinned down the cause .Until the cause is found the solution will not be found. 

See the post above .

Best Answer
0 Votes