Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News for European users

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Apparently, thirdparty apps and watchfaces will be removed from Fitbits (which still supports them) by June 24 🤷 (hopefully, somebody jumped too far ahead with 1st April news).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewwilliams/2024/03/22/google-issues-warning-for-fitbit-users/

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@Triletics Thank you very much for the updated information.  We shall see how the Fitbit ecosystem will be developed from this point forward. As soon as I have more information, I will let you know. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

HI @Triletics - thanks for the posting - here is the corresponding 9to5google article and Fitbit help How do I install and manage apps on my Fitbit device?.

@Triletics- what is not known yet is how this is going to be executed.

What determines your European Economic Area status, and in which countries is it going to be effective?

Will it be based on where you are at any point in time, so for example an American on holiday in Europe will be equally affected, or what language you choose or where the watch was bought?

How the clocks and apps will be removed from the watch, or whether they will be removed from the Gallery only. If for example you are using an older Fitbit App version will you be able to keep them?

The ill will may mean that Europeans will simply ditch Google/Fitbit for a more reliable make of watch.

These are just simple issues that have not been defined yet.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ what is known, the apps will be removed from devices (probably upon sync after June deadline). This has something to do with new regulatory requirements in EEA and I believe will include all countries that are part of EEA because regulations are for the whole area. Most likely, it has something to so with Digital Markets Act introduced on March 7. Well, easier to leave marker than try to be compliant with regulations.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @Triletics - yes a sync might cause the clocks or apps to be removed, but may also cause the watch to stop working altogether, they may force a factory reset, or a new feature might be added to the Fitbit App to do something, not present in an older Fitbit App.

I found this link for countries which can be very problematic. For example depending on how it is done, if you live in Switzerland but work in Germany.

You can have clock faces in Switzerland but not in Germany, so will they all disappear once you register on a German network or will it be some other criteria?

I have just received a revised terms and conditions to take DMA into account from a small supplier and yet Google with all it's resources can't manage it for Fitbit but it's not an issue for Pixel Watch and the PlayStore?

Will users who create their own clocks or apps still be able to develop, use and share?

Mote: The Google help where the information first appeared doesn't say the clocks or apps will be removed from the watch but removing them from the Online Gallery may have this effect.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes