Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 6

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have just been informed by Fitbit support that the Nokia 6 running Android 7.1.1 is not compatible with the latest version of their Android app when I reported a bug to them. The previous version worked perfectly and gave me notification.

Regards

Infinidim

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Hey @infinidim.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure that other users with the same Nokia phone will be grateful! 

It is important to mention that issues like this can be caused by optimization. The mobile device might have all of the needed hardware and basic software to work, but due to the specific variations it can have from other devices like the UI version, for example, it  can cause incompatibility issues.

Again, thanks for the heads up. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hey @infinidim.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure that other users with the same Nokia phone will be grateful! 

It is important to mention that issues like this can be caused by optimization. The mobile device might have all of the needed hardware and basic software to work, but due to the specific variations it can have from other devices like the UI version, for example, it  can cause incompatibility issues.

Again, thanks for the heads up. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Still need this to be fixed urgently by Fitbit as HMD / Nokia are very serious at being the 3rd largest supplier of mobile phone again - the CEO mention this in a search about a month ago.

Regards

Infinidim 

Best Answer

Hello @infinidim.

I absolutely see where you are coming from. Please know that we take all posts seriously and that we're always looking for ways to improve. 

If we get any news regarding compatibility with the Nokia 6 I will be sure to let everyone know.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Its the same on the Nokia 8.  Installed app.... no visual of steps and no confirmation of Phone syncing with app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner.

Thanks for the heads up. We appreciate all of the comments and are always looking for ways to improve.

Please let me know if you have any further questions! 

Best Answer

I have now talked to HMD Global Oy / Nokia in Finland about this issue with the Fitbit app and they believe that as they are taking Android 7.1.1 directly from Google and not changing any core attributes of the system like many other manufactures do - L.G,  Huawei, Samsung, Lenovo etc. - that the Fitbit app should work with no issues on the Nokia range of phone. 

I therefore request Fitbit to urgently investigate the issue ("notifications")  that is happening on the Nokia range 3,5 and 6 (also 8 when generally available) with some urgency. I have already raised a case with Fitbit support on this issue as well.

I have clarified in my own mind that the Charge HR as marketed by Fitbit in the UK "in the standard box with EAN code 810351022947 MPN code FB405PML-EU) clearly states that "call notifications" are available - it doesn't clarify which phones or versions of Android that they are available on! 

Notifications even works on Windows 10 Phone (Lumia 950) so why doesn't it work on standard Android 7.1.1 on a Nokia 6? 

Before the last Fitbit firmware upgrade to the Charge HR and Fitbit Android application update they worked perfectly on the Nokia 6.

When will "notifications" be fixed on the Nokia 6 and Fitbit Charge HR?

Regards

Infinidim 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@infinidim wrote:

I have now talked to HMD Global Oy / Nokia in Finland about this issue with the Fitbit app and they believe that as they are taking Android 7.1.1 directly from Google and not changing any core attributes of the system like many other manufactures do - L.G,  Huawei, Samsung, Lenovo etc. - that the Fitbit app should work with no issues on the Nokia range of phone. 

Infinidim

@infinidim, what Nokia is saying is wrong. Fitbit is not compatible with the other manefacturers you list. In general it's not compatible with any android phone made after early 2016, with the exclusion of Samsung (even if there are lots of problems with the S8, as you can read in this forum). As you can read in this community neither LG nor Huawei work *at all* with fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@luca85 wrote:

@infinidim wrote:

Infinidim

@infinidim, what Nokia is saying is wrong. Fitbit is not compatible with the other manefacturers you list. In general it's not compatible with any android phone made after early 2016, with the exclusion of Samsung (even if there are lots of problems with the S8, as you can read in this forum). As you can read in this community neither LG nor Huawei work *at all* with fitbit.

@luca85, I was clearly pointing out what Nokia had formally said to me when I discussed the issue of using the Fitbit app / Charge HR and "notification" using the Nokia 6 running under "pure" Android 7.1.1.

The comment was about the "changes" that certain manufactures make to Google Android before they implement it on their hardware and not whether or not the Fitbit app works without issue those manufactures.

I have looked very closely at the Fitbit compatibility website and find it quite "out of date" on what mobile devices work with which Fitbit devices. As I said in my earlier message, and I quote "Notifications even works on Windows 10 Phone (Lumia 950)" and this is nowhere visible on the compatibility list. 

All I am really interested in is that Fitbit commit to fixing issues that are in the Fitbit app and I have formally reported to them on the Nokia 6 ( and hopefully other Nokia devices - 3,5,8 and 9) running under Android 7.1.1 (with security patches). Given that the Android that HMD Global Oy / Nokia have implemented is "pure" Android then I don't believe it would be difficult for them to test and fix. I know that if Fitbit development have the "will to do it" ( I was involve with Microsoft / Fitbit on implementing the GATT server Bluetooth code so notifications would work on Windows 10 Phone) then this could get fixed very quickly. If they don't fix it then they are marketing products that don't meet the "Trade Descriptions Act" in the UK as well as the matching EU directive as well.

Moderator  @LanuzaFitbit would you like to comment on my last few posts please.

Regards

Infinidim

Best Answer

notifications work on my Moto G5s android 7.11, Fitbit version 2.57.3 (2193175) and my Surge

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

notifications work on my Moto G5s android 7.11, Fitbit version 2.57.3 (2193175) and my Surge

Thanks for the info @SunsetRunner

Regards

Infinidim

Best Answer
0 Votes

@luca85 wrote:

@infinidim wrote:

Infinidim

@luca85 : my Motorola Moto G5S is not in the list, but it works.

can you explain ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone.

I know that this situation, and the compatibility in general can be quite frustrating. I understand where all of you are coming from. 

@infinidim Thanks for your input, very informative. At this time we have no official answer or expectations we could offer. I can tell you that several compatibility requests have been passed on to the team and hopefully the huge demand for compatibility will result in something positive. I can assure you all that I understand how frustrating this must feel. 

Whenever we do have any news or updates I will be sure to post about it in here to let you all know. 

As for why some phones on the compatibility list work and some other don't, the thing is that the phones might have the needed hardware to work and so they might be able sync and work some features. However we are not able to fully guarantee that they will work.

Thanks for your understanding. If I can help you with anything, do not hesitate to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the replies, information etc.  I will be replacing my 'lost' Fitbit soon, so will rarely use the 'mobile track'.... it was just an interim solution. 

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hey everyone.

I know that this situation, and the compatibility in general can be quite frustrating. I understand where all of you are coming from. 

@infinidim Thanks for your input, very informative. At this time we have no official answer or expectations we could offer. I can tell you that several compatibility requests have been passed on to the team and hopefully the huge demand for compatibility will result in something positive. I can assure you all that I understand how frustrating this must feel. 

Whenever we do have any news or updates I will be sure to post about it in here to let you all know. 

As for why some phones on the compatibility list work and some other don't, the thing is that the phones might have the needed hardware to work and so they might be able sync and work some features. However we are not able to fully guarantee that they will work.

Thanks for your understanding. If I can help you with anything, do not hesitate to let me know.

I am really not at all happy with the approach that Fitbit have taken with this issue on the Nokia 6 and the Charge HR. They clearly state on the box that Android and Charge HR get notification. So when is it going to be fixed.

Regards

Infinidim 

Best Answer

Infinidim, I understand from you posts that you only have the issue of notifications not being shown on Nokia 6. If this is the case and the app is working otherwise then consider yourself lucky. I cannot use the app at all on my new Nokia 6, it simply doesn't work. I'm just getting the message "Fitbit keeps stopping. Close the app". I had a Windows phone before and the notifications didn't work. Was anxious to get a new Android device to be finally able to benefit from all functionalities with my Surge. Rather disappointed now.

Best Answer

@RR_Beavis wrote:

Infinidim, I understand from you posts that you only have the issue of notifications not being shown on Nokia 6. If this is the case and the app is working otherwise then consider yourself lucky. I cannot use the app at all on my new Nokia 6, it simply doesn't work. I'm just getting the message "Fitbit keeps stopping. Close the app". I had a Windows phone before and the notifications didn't work. Was anxious to get a new Android device to be finally able to benefit from all functionalities with my Surge. Rather disappointed now.

The issue was not they were not being shown on the Nokia 6 it's self but the notifications where not showing up on my Charge 2.

The app was working really great for a long while and I was getting notifications come through for "messages (Android app)" and "phone calls (Android app)" but they stopped working I think because of an issue either with the Charge 2 firmware or the Android Fitbit app update.

All of a sudden about a couple of weeks ago it all started working again. There hadn't been a firmware update or even an app update on the day that they started working. I hadn't reset the phone or done anything too it. Like normal the "Google Play Store" had been pushing out updates to the various apps I have installed and the only thing I can think is that one of the updates, maybe something like "Google Services" fixed a bug that was causing the issue.

I still can't get "Calendar" events but I know why that is, I use the Microsoft Outlook app for contacts, calendar and email and don't use any Google apps for these capabilities. It is either Microsoft not making the calendar events visible correctly so that the Fitbit app can see them re it's the Fitbit app not allowing any calendar events from any other app other than Google Calendar. I know for certainty that it is the Fitbit aap not allowing any calendar events from any other app other than Google Calendar because there is not way to change where the calendar events come from in the Fitbit app.

Like you I have come from a Windows 10 Mobile phone (Lumia 950 that ended up dying on me). I spent a lot of time messaging and working with Microsoft (I still had contacts still in Microsoft development, as I had worked on a couple of early versions of Windows, that allowed me to slightly influence the schedule for Windows 10 Phone development). to get the GATT server working on Windows 10 Mobile and before my Windows phone died on me I was getting notifications (phone calls, txt messages and calendar events), with the odd issue. It's really down to the project manager / moderator of the Windows Phone Fitbit forum - TristanR  and his team - that they got it working, he would not let it fail. 

I have not been impressed at all by the Android forum, what we seem to get here is, it's a problem and nothing happens. I know it's a bigger phone population but I would have thought that Fitbit would want to get the Fitbit app working perfectly for Android. I even direct messaged one of the moderators and he didn't even give me the curtesy of replying.

@with regards to your issue @RR_Beavis, I assume that you have "uninstalled and re-installed" the Fitbit app - before re-installing I always restart the phone to make sure that all the processes and data has been unlinked - just in case. Also make sure that you have got the latest patches on your phone that HMD / Nokia have shipped. As of today (7/10/2017) that is Sept 2017 patch level as I have found that just add the patches fixes some issues - there is no logical reason for it either other than you are re-linking Android internal modules together. 

The last ditch solution is basically to reset you phone to factory settings but I have never done this on any phone - and I have had mobile phones since they first were invented - until you have tried everything else.

If I think of any other ideas I will post them here

Regards

Infinidim 

Best Answer

Thanks, Infinidim!

I removed the Fitbit app, restarted the phone a couple of times and re-installed the app from Play store. I made sure no other apps were running before launching the Fitbit app. This time it workes a bit better but far from perfect. E.g., switching from Dashboard to Notifications or Challenges and back takes around one minute and during that time I get the notification about Fitbit app having stopped. Tapping "Wait" will eventually take me to the desired view but meanwhile the phone becomes non-responsive and in some cases there is no other way out than restarting the phone.

My Nokia 6 is just a couple of weeks old and I have the latest patch installed. I have not installed too many apps on it yet, in fact Fitbit was one of the first ones. Once I get a chance I will experiment with other Nokia 6- and Nokia 5-phones that some of my colleagues have got or are about to get, just to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my phone. All the other apps I have installed work fine though. Out of curiosity I tried the Fitbit app on my kids' Huawei P9 Lite (Android 7.0) and it works just fine on those.

Might be that this year Santa will have a choice of either a new phone or a new tracker. I like my Nokia 6 so it is more likely to be the latter 😉

Best Answer

@RR_Beavis wrote:

Thanks, Infinidim!

I removed the Fitbit app, restarted the phone a couple of times and re-installed the app from Play store. I made sure no other apps were running before launching the Fitbit app. This time it workes a bit better but far from perfect. E.g., switching from Dashboard to Notifications or Challenges and back takes around one minute and during that time I get the notification about Fitbit app having stopped. Tapping "Wait" will eventually take me to the desired view but meanwhile the phone becomes non-responsive and in some cases there is no other way out than restarting the phone.

My Nokia 6 is just a couple of weeks old and I have the latest patch installed. I have not installed too many apps on it yet, in fact Fitbit was one of the first ones. Once I get a chance I will experiment with other Nokia 6- and Nokia 5-phones that some of my colleagues have got or are about to get, just to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my phone. All the other apps I have installed work fine though. Out of curiosity I tried the Fitbit app on my kids' Huawei P9 Lite (Android 7.0) and it works just fine on those.

Might be that this year Santa will have a choice of either a new phone or a new tracker. I like my Nokia 6 so it is more likely to be the latter 😉

It does sound like you have an issue with Android 7.1.1 or a hardware issue here. My thoughts are it's Android. It might be worth factory resetting the phone, don't forget to back up everything though. That might fix it. If not given it's still in warrantee it might be worth trying to get them to replace it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lanuza,

Do you have any news on the compatibility with Nokia phones. I have a Nokia 5 and was about to buy a Charge2 but it wont be much good if it wont work with my phone.

If not I guess I will have to look at other makes.

Best Answer