Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please update your application to continue

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as other Android folks ... I've got a Galaxy (SGH-T399, Android 4.2.2), latest Fitbit app (2.15.1) ... and it just won't let me set up my hand-me-down Alta.  I click Add A Device, select Alta, click "Set up your Alta", and immediately I get the "Please update your application to continue".

screenshot.png

Tried uninstalling / reinstalling the Fitbit app, no improvement.

I don't even think that the app is talking to the Alta ... looks like a straight-up bug in the app.

Any clues out there?

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

@Menchar

Agree with you 100%. And thank you for explaining what the USB dongle was for as Fitbit tell you nothing of it.The lack of information by Fitbit is total. Nothing anywhere in the package or online to explain it is not a standalone device but relies totally on a very narrow range of smartphones and operating system versions to do anything at all.

Best Answer

We have the same problem here.

I gave my wife a new Charge-2

We created an account for her on fitbit website

We installed the android App on her phone (A Samsung not listed as incompatible)

We ran the app and selected the device

Message pops up - "Please update your app to connect to this device"

We uninstalled the app and tried again - same result

What is going on?

Best Answer

Yup.  The USB/Bluetooth dongle costs $20.00 plus shipping.  IF you have a Win 7 PC and IF you have a USB port you can dedicate to the dongle you might be able to set the thing up that way.  But one of the primary attractions of the fitbit is the ability to use it with your smartphone.  No way to know the limitations up front with the Fitbit, if you were a concerned buyer and you checked for compatability on this website, it shows the Samsung Galaxy Light as being completely compatible!!!

Fitbit customer service sucks from what others are saying on this forum, I don't see any option but to return the fitbit, which can be problematic.

This is possibly a consumer affairs issue here in California / US, it approaches deceptive advertising IMHO.  I'll wait to see if I can return it before getting any more upset.

Best Answer

A USB dongle did come in the box with my Alta but with no explanation anywhere as to what it was or what it did until I saw Menchar's post here. And having to use a non-mobile device such as PC or laptop compromises the Fitbit device functionality.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Toattall unacceptable solution to the problem, buy a new phone to update a free app.  Just take your fit bake a get a refund is the correct solution.

Best Answer

this is the 2nd Fitbit I've purchased and the 2nd time I've had an unbelievably frustrating time setting them up on devices due to OS compatibility issues (first a Kindle Fire and now Android 4.2.2 on Galaxy Tab 2).  Is there a backwards compatible app available for older versions of Android?  I'm at the point where I'm going to take the thing back and never utter the word Fitbit again in my life.  : |  

Best Answer

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III, and I can't get my new Charge 2 to work with it. I get the update application as well. I would just continue to use my old fitbit until I can afford to get a new phone, but the band has come off because of the absolutely horrible design and I don't know how to get it to stay on my wrist. I expect Fitbit won't be around much longer anyway, as other companies have designs that work better and are less of a headache to use. I mainly use my home computer for my fitbit tracking, not my phone, but this has made me completely dependent on my phone to use it. HATE THAT. Wish I never spent the money on this new one. I should have checked out other brands, but since Fitbit was the first one I tried, I was trying to stay loyal but they're making it really hard to do so. 

Best Answer

I just bought an Alta HR and saw no where in the Fitbit website info that my Galaxy 5 was an "old phone" and would not work.   That should be info clearly stated so one can save themselves a lot of frustration.  I have returned the Fitbit and am very disappointed in the company overall. It took Fitbit HELP 2 days to respond to me.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree!   No instructions.   Fitbit Help takes days to get back to you and they are releasing products that don't work on older devices but not putting that info in their sales literature then Help tells you to just buy a new phone.   I have a Galaxy 5.  Not that old!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I couldn't agree more and had pretty much the same experience with no help from the Fitbit Help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Galaxy 5 and the Alta HR won't work with it.   Horrible customer service from Fitbit.   Returned and hope to see a refund.   They told me to buy a new phone! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having the same problem with my phone running 8.0 I went into app settings and forced stop and Alta connected immediately. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III.  It works perfectly fine and I will not be updating my phone. The phone uses Android Version 4.1.2.  I have downloaded FITBIT version 2.15.1.  I purchased a Charge 2.  I keep getting "Please update your application to continue". I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no success.  Unless someone has a solution, I am going to be returning this device,  Fortunately the box is well intact.  Frustrated!

Best Answer

I just one to add one more note.  FITBIT said that my phone was compatible with the Charge 2 before I ordered it.

Best Answer

I’m in the exact same boat like the rest of the folks here. Bought a Fitbit Charge 2 as a x-mas present only to find out that it as well is not able to connect with a 4.2.2 android running on Samsung GT-I9195. There is no newer android update for that Samsung phone, but the phone itself is perfectly fine and receiving regular updates for all other commonly used apps. With a great sorrow - I’ll be forced to return the Fitbit charge 2 device and look for a competitive product instead. 😞

Best Answer

I am getting this message "Please update your application to continue" when I try to install my Fitbit. I have a Samsung Note GT-N5120 and a Fitbit Charge 2.   I have also had problems on my Dell Inspiron running Window 10.

Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

Although I have Fitbit Ionic and Samsung S8+, I am getting the message "Please update your application to continue" when I am trying to update Tracker software. There is a red ribbon on my FitBit app asking me to "Update Tracker software" When I click on the red ribbon I get this message.

What shall I do? Please help.

Best Answer

@krkkYou will need to go into your Google Play store because the Android App is now up to V2.68 which was only released yesterday. You may only be offered 2.67.2.

@krkkwrote:

Although I have Fitbit Ionic and Samsung S8+, I am getting the message "Please update your application to continue" when I am trying to update Tracker software. There is a red ribbon on my FitBit app asking me to "Update Tracker software" When I click on the red ribbon I get this message.

What shall I do? Please help.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same setup as you and have been trying for 2 days to update with no success. I do see an update suddenly pending for my Fitbit app, though, so trying that. I'll update if it succeeds.

And that did it! Just make sure your app is updated before you try your tracker. My phone usually updates at midnight, so I didn't think to look for anything that still needed one.

Fitbit Sense| Fitbit Alta | retired Garmin | retired Fitbit Ionic | Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus
Best Answer

Thanks, it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes