Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please update your application to continue

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as other Android folks ... I've got a Galaxy (SGH-T399, Android 4.2.2), latest Fitbit app (2.15.1) ... and it just won't let me set up my hand-me-down Alta.  I click Add A Device, select Alta, click "Set up your Alta", and immediately I get the "Please update your application to continue".

screenshot.png

Tried uninstalling / reinstalling the Fitbit app, no improvement.

I don't even think that the app is talking to the Alta ... looks like a straight-up bug in the app.

Any clues out there?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@ashleytt @Eforce Welcome to our Community!

@Eforce @ashleytt @aaronatcisco I was checking some of your devices (Galaxy Light and Mega) and I could see that they are running an old Android version (4.2.2). The newer apps are compatible with Android 4.3 and above and this is why the newer trackers like the Fitbit Alta can't be paired with your phones (only previous trackers like the Fitbit Charge or Fitbit One). You will need to have a newer compatible mobile device in order to run the latest app and sync your tracker (obviously it is up to you if you wish to change phones I am only stating that a newer one is required to sync newer trackers).

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

An update: I was able to sync the Alta with the Fitbit Connect app running on a dongle-equipped WIn7 PC.  However, after that, the Alta still would not sync with the Fitbit app on my Galaxy Light - nor would it again sync with Fitbit Connect.

(I know that this Alta works fine, as it was syncing fine with my wife's iPhone 5c till yesterday when I commandeered it, and I also know that the Galaxy Light works well, as it was syncing with my Fitbit One till a week ago, when I lost the Fitbit.)

Best Answer

Same problem here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello friends, @aaronatcisco@Juliona! Are you still not able to sync with your Galaxy Light? This is weird, because it is a compatible device. You can try to update the App, reboot your phone and try to set it up as a new device, just like you did the first time, it should be working now. Once you do could you send me a screenshot of the App version? You can verify this on the PlayStore. This way I can further investigate with my team. 

Keep me posted! Cat Very Happy

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I am having the exact problem.  I have rebooted and reinstalled the app, but I am still getting the same message "please update your application to continue".  What do I do?

Best Answer
Yup same thing here. I was sent a alta as a replacement for my charge. It keeps telling me to update my app which it is. I have deleted the app. Restarted my phone. Everything I can think of
Best Answer

I have tried everything suggested and it is still not working.  I asked fitbit for help some days now and they have not yet responded.

Best Answer

I gave up trying to get the Alta to work, and bought a new One (I don't like wearing anything on my wrist anyway.)  The new One syncs just fine to my Fitbit app.

Bottom line is that there seems to be some kind of bug in the Alta and/or in the Android Fitbit app which prevent them from playing nice with each other.

Best Answer

Thanks Solange, here's a screenshot of my Fitbit app:

Screenshot_2016-09-07-14-31-38[1].png

Best Answer

@ashleytt @Eforce Welcome to our Community!

@Eforce @ashleytt @aaronatcisco I was checking some of your devices (Galaxy Light and Mega) and I could see that they are running an old Android version (4.2.2). The newer apps are compatible with Android 4.3 and above and this is why the newer trackers like the Fitbit Alta can't be paired with your phones (only previous trackers like the Fitbit Charge or Fitbit One). You will need to have a newer compatible mobile device in order to run the latest app and sync your tracker (obviously it is up to you if you wish to change phones I am only stating that a newer one is required to sync newer trackers).

Let me know how it goes!

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
Actually I just set it up on my husband's phone and then it now shows up on my app on my phone. So it does work on my galaxy mega
Best Answer

Thanks Alvaro, makes sense.  (Although, if the Fitbit app isn't supported in Android 4.2.2, maybe it shouldn't allow itself to install?  Although, on the other hand, the app works just fine with my One.)

I guess I am overdue to upgrade my phone (either that, or root it!)

Cheers,

Aaron

Best Answer

That's a real shame. My phone works well and it's wasteful to ditch it for something like this. Will there be an update/patch? I can't get my  new Alta to connect to my phone (Android 4.1.xx) or my Windows 7 computer. What am I supposed to do? Pretty frustrated here.

Best Answer

Hi everyone. I would like to contribute with some additional information.

@Eforce Great to hear that you can sync your tracker on your phone. Remember that since your phone doesn't have the most recent version of the app you don't see the option to setup the Alta but it is good to know that you can actually sync your tracker after it was setup via another device.

@aaronatcisco The app is no longer updated for devices prior to Android 4.3 but the last compatible version is still available for these devices, this is why you can download version 2.15.1 (while the latest version is 2.34). This is so you can still view your information and log food or activities via the app as this is great for people that like to immediately log the food they ate or to simply have this option. Also this is why you can sync your Fitbit One. BTW Cyanogen is apparently available for your Galaxy Light, although I can't guarantee the app will work with a custom rom I just wanted to mention it if you wanted to read more about it.

@ladyfarrier The app version is only restricted on older phones. You should be able to setup your Alta on your Windows 7 computer. What type of problem are you encountering with your tracker on Windows 7? Remember that you can use an old Dongle to setup your device and you will need to have the latest version of Fitbit Connect installed. 

Keep me posted!

Best Answer

I'm sorry, this doesn't seem to be an acceptable solution.   Just got an Alta as an early Xmas gift, and my phone works just fine, I sure do not want to spend hundreds of dollars to replace it.   Would you please make this backwards compatible to the older phones?   I've got a Samsung Galaxy Light, and it works very well with my older fitbit.  

Best Answer

I doubt there are enough of those older devices still in use to make it practical to make today's apps backward compatible to them, @Pengana.  I had to replace my old phone with a newer one when the accounting software I use required a newer version of the Android OS - I couldn't expect the accounting software company to re-write their software to accomodate me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

IAfter checking a  bit,  you are able to sync your alt with a galaxy light after you setup the device on a windows fitbit client.   Some of the features are not functional,  namely the email/msging synch.  So the response is a bit misleading, I was under the impresssion I would not get to synch  my new device via my older phone.

I don't expect backward compatibility to be as feature rich, but yes, I do expect the developers to take into account older phones.  It would seem like it would be easy to give older phones the pre-existing features without a lot of developer time.   (and apparently so, as this functionality works..)  When the alternative is to require your user base to spend significant $$ on a new phone, I believe the onus is on the product not the consumer.

Best Answer

Hello, @USAF-Larry@PenganaMan Very Happy It is nice to see you. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I agree with both of you, we are always working to give you the best services and products, that is why we improve based on what you say. We aim to have as much compatible devices as possible,  however we are working on it day by day.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. 

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Spent two hours today trying to setup the woeful Fitbit Alta device. Zero instructions in the box. Took ages to get anything to display on the screen. You have to troubleshoot your way through everything using forums like this and eventually I found the press the USB connection button 3 times in 8 seconds trick to get it started. Could not get it to complete setup as apparently it is not compatible with my otherwise fully functional ASUS PadFone which I will not be updating to accommodate this thing. This device appears to be useless unless you have a very select make and totally up to date smartphone. As it was not possible to open the box without ripping it, I cannot return it to the vendor so my wife has wasted over 100 Euro on her Christmas present. All in all, appalling customer service. Buyer, be aware.

Best Answer

What a waste of time.  I have a perfectly good Galaxy Light SGH-T399 running Android 4.2.2.  Spent hours installing, re-installing Fitbit app and trying to sync up with Blaze   So the Fitbit app installs without error, does NOT indicate an incompatability during the install, but it DOES have an incompatability with Android 4.2.2 AND since it's a Blaze it will never work with a T399 because older versions of Fitbit app don't cover the Blaze so a complete waste of time and money.  Irresponsible for Fitbit to not flag the incompatability in setup requirements in the play store, and no compatability info provided on the packaging.  I am NOT going to spend hundreds of dollars upgrading a perfectly good phone to use with a fitbit.  And the Blaze didn't come with a wireless dongle so can't set it up from my Win 7 PC either unless I buy a dongle apparently and I don't even want to know what those cost.  The stupidity here is breathtaking.

Best Answer