Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with editing sleep time - sleep stages changed

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

If I wake up and find that my Fitbit has incorrectly guessed my sleep times, I edit them to what they should be.  This changes when it puts in the sleep stages during parts of my sleep that weren't affected by the edit (e.g. stages in the middle of the night when I edited the start time by half an hour).  It's been going on ever since I bought my Charge 2 in January, and I think with my Charge HR before that.  It shows up more clearly with the update that gives us sleep stages. 

So if you look at the screenshot from how the app showed up with its estimated time to fall asleep of 1:08, I have two deep sleep periods, totalling 40 min in deep sleep.  When I changed the start time to 12:30, it changed my sleep architecture, giving me only one deep sleep period totalling 26 min.  I'm keeping an eye on how much deep sleep I get, and I've long been puzzled by how the amount of different types of sleep change if you edit the start time slightly - it used to be far more dramatic than this, believe it or not.  Out of the four days where I have sleep logs with the new sleep stages, this is the first one that's ever shown more than one period of deep sleep.  What is going on?

Screenshot_20170330-104433.png

Screenshot_20170330-104514.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hey @Calathea77!

Based on the way you described the situation, I would say that it can be caused whenever you indicate that you fell asleep at a different time than the one the tracker thought. Since the time when you fell asleep is different, the whole calculations have to accommodate to that and thus the information that will be used to calculate the sleep stages is not the same.

Keep in mind that sleep stages are calculated using your HR and your movement. If you fell asleep at a different time than reported originally, the HR for the additional time has to be accounted for and it could change some of the calculations.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too just had a weird issue with sleep stages and editing. I went to bed at around 11 and up an 8 and when I looked at the data it said I had slept only 2.5 hours. so I changed my start and end time slightly and hilariously it said 26 minues only!  After that I toggled my sensitivity and it came back with over 5 hours for a particularly restless night (that restaurant is banned!). But no sleep stages, just the old somewhat useless style of reporting the data. This is the third night with the band (Alta HR) and I am coming from a jawbone 3.  Please someone tell me this is buggy because it's on the bad nights that we really need accerate data. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @vordo

From what you're saying, it seems like it could be a one time thing. My question would be, how has the sleep logging behaved since then. Has the same thing happened?

Look forward to your reply.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

the next day after the data looked like it should for the night.  I suppose I need to see what happens with another particularly bad night.  The data on the bad night still looks really questionable so perhaps the band really didn't get what it needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @vordo!

It seems to have been a situation with the editing. I will bring it up to the team. In the meantime, the best thing would be to keep an eye on the sleep tracking and see how it behaves. I don't think it should be happening again.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's not so much with editing but a 'bad night.' Last night we had barking dogs and screaming babies and though the band did detect the sleep start and stop correctly, it could not parse the advanced sleep data. It seems if there is an awake gap longer then expected the the translation fails. My guess there is a bug in your backend servers that is causing this - perhaps it's as simple as allowing the awake gap to be bigger. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @vordo

Thanks for your feedback. I will bring this up to our team. Whenever we have something to announce on the matter we will be sure to let everyone know!

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

the last three days my sleep logs are of the old style - in the past if you delete, and create a new entry with the same times, the log would update correctly. not in this case. I'm assuming this is a back end server issue, no?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @vordo!

At this moment, I do not have any specific updates or details that I could share. It is definitely possible that the server could be having an issue loading the information.

Thanks for your understanding! 

Best Answer
0 Votes