Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep hours keep changing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit is not logging my sleeping hours properly - it keeps adjusting itself. Also it has not tracked my walks automatically after 15mins for the last 2 days 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

I agree with you. My Fitbit does not record sleep accurately either. Recently it hasn't recorded my walks, but instead says I've spent an enormous amount of time on the elliptical in the middle of the night (I haven't), but doesn't count toward daily exercise goal.. I've disabled the Elliptical function.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes im confused, LOL, the title us about exercises but the post is about sleep. Are you hijacking your own thread @Paulajl?

I'm not sure what is mentioned by adjusting sleeping hours?

Have you restarted the unknown tracker yet?

How do I restart my Fitbit device?

Troubleshoot a problematic device by turning it off and then back on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So its 2 issues but i have put them in 1 thread - with regards to the sleep hours  if i open the app now it will say 9hrs 12 mins - then it will adjust itself to say 8hrs 8mins.

Also i have walked over 10 thousand steps on Mon & Tue this week but it hasn't auto recognised that i was active for 15 mins 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paulajl  Are you updated to the most recent Android Fitbit app, version 2.75?  I ask because I thought that there was a bug correction in 2.75 regarding the sleep issue to which you are referring.  I think if you watch closely when the sleep tile originally says 9 hr 12 minutes of sleep, it also says 0 minutes awake which is in error.  Then when it switches to 8 hrs and 8 minutes of sleep it also states how many minutes you were awake.  You can see you awake periods in the Sleep details.  The awake periods are marked in pink.  Awake can be anything from getting up during the night to rolling over or being restless.  You probably aren't even aware of being awake.

Also, in response to your question about your Active minutes.  Fitbit requires a certain amount of elevated heart rate to record your walking as Active Minutes.  See this Fitbit Help article to see how Fitbit calculates Active Minutes.  The Auto Recognition feature for exercise isn't the same thing as auto recognizing Active Minutes.  You can walk, have it be recorded as exercise and not have it recorded as Active depending on how briskly you walk. 

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1379/?q=active+minutes&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Kathy | USA
Versa SE, Charge 2, Samsung Galaxy S10+
Best Answer

Thanks for the help

Ive definitely got v.2.75. So still not sure what the issue is. Have also done a reset today on my charge 2

Am guessing as i was just walking around a zoo for 6hrs probrobly didnt increase my heart rate enough like you say to activate the auto -recognise activity but obviously it just logged my steps  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paulajl wrote:

Thanks for the help

Ive definitely got v.2.75. 

The android app this week went to 2.76, and there was an update to 2.75 a week earlier. Please check the play store, @kcronin may want to update theirs  also.Screenshot_20180804-134751_Google Play Store.jpg

I added the LOL, because you had two questions, I was surprised that the main question, referenced in the title was not the main question in the App. LOL

in your sleep example above I have a few questions.

How soon after getting up do you open the app

I find it works better if I'm up and about for a few minutes .

I open the Fitbit app, but have never looked at sleep immediately. Your tracker has to sync its data to the Fitbit server through your Fitbit app. Once the tracker has synced it's its data, the Fitbit server can now process the data. The sleep is calculated on the server, then the server sends the calculated sleep back to the App.

This may take a few seconds or more depending on server load.

I'm thinking that the app is displaying what little it knows about the sleep, you say the data is wrong. Then after the server has finished processing your trackers data the app gets updated and displays the true sleep.

From your original post

"Also it has not tracked my walks automatically after 15mins for the last 2 days "

From This post

Also i have walked over 10 thousand steps on Mon & Tue this week but it hasn't auto recognised that i was active for 15 mins"

Active minutes and recorded exercises are not the same thing, you can have either with or without the other.

Active minutes a é based on calories burnt not receive rded activity..

What are active minutes?

Learn more about active minutes and how they're calculated

When it comes time recorded walks, which of the 4 possible methids are you using to record the walk. It would also be nice to know the tracker model which is the source  of problems mentioned in this thresd.
Do you  manually start the tracking of a walk through the Fitbit tracker or the Fitbit app?
Do you simply let Fitbit decide, if so, have you gone on a walk at least as long as the minimum set time?
I'll be watching
Best Answer

@Rich_Laue. Interesting that you would say that there has been an app update to 2.76 because it's not available in my Play Store nor is it listed at the top of this forum. At the top lists 2.75 as the most recent release. Is 2.76 perhaps in limited release? Why is there no information on this forum regarding the changes included in 2.76?

Kathy | USA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting from my play stire.Screenshot_20180804-134751_Google Play Store.jpg

Maybe it has only been released to USA.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue  I'm in New York.  I have Verizon Wireless service.  They tend to be slow on the release I've noted. 2.76 isn't available for me yet.  2.75 was released July 25, 2018.

I've actually had to back up to v2.74.2 because 2.75 started the wacky Connected GPS thing for me again.  I've generally had really good luck with the Connected GPS staying connected (both my Versa SE and my Charge 2) but certain app releases seem to have more trouble maintaining connection.  The release notes never disclose enough bug information to inform the end user whether changes have been made that influence bluetooth connectivity.  When I developed dropouts during my runs, I usually just go backwards to a version that previously worked well for me and wait it out for a new app update.  Then I watch the boards to see if people are posting anything significant regarding that release before updating.

Kathy | USA
Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

@Rich_Laue is right on the matter, the 2.76 update should've been released yesterday. Please try to download it and update your app. Do keep in mind that Android 5.0 is required in order to download this update. 

As for the sleep situation, our team is aware of this and it is being worked on. As soon as we have any news we'll be sure to let everyone know.

As for the other issue @Paulajl, the active minutes are only tracked after spending a number of minutes with an intense activity. You can read more about it in here. You may have taken 10k steps but perhaps there were taken in short bursts of time and it was not enough for the Fitbit to not recognize the active minuted. 

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes