Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to migrate account to Google / Family Account Issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, 

I am experiencing extreme frustration over this, I hope someone can help. 

I recently purchased a new Google Watch. During setup, it asked me to migrate my Fitbit Account to Google Account. 

In starting this process, it told me that I had to first upgrade one of the child accounts associated with my Fitbit parent account as my child was now older than 13. In doing this process, for whatever reason, it associated my child's new upgraded account to my primary google account email address. 

When then trying to migrate my own account, it constantly tells me that there is already an account associated with that email.

I tried changing the email address on my child's account, but it doesn't let me - it says that it "was recently changed" and that I need to wait 72 hours. 

I think OK. wait for 4 days, try changing it - and I get the same error message. Meanwhile, I still can't migrate my account. 

Been talking to Fitbit support via Twitter - and frankly they are useless. they keep telling me to try a different device, to try changing my password and trying again etc etc etc - without acknowledging that the issue is that THERE IS ALREADY AN ACCOUNT WITH MY EMAIL ADDRESS. and I cannot change the email address. 

I did think about deleting the child account completely - but again, this will take 30 days or so, and I don't even know if that will then allow me to transfer my own account to the [now vacant] email address. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

looks like i'm cancelling my fitbit premium subscription and deleting accounts! 

Thanks for that. I noticed that the account with your son's details shows that your son has already graduated to a standard account since he's already 13 years of age. Since it isn't possible to undo the linking at this point, the next best thing to do would be to create a new Google account for yourself to serve as the main account where you can add and manage family members as well as your Google Pixel Watch moving forward. I get that this isn't the resolution you're looking for and we appreciate your feedback as this will help us improve our products and services moving forward.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Really shocking that their best answer is that I should create a new google account and recreate that as my main account (with all my prior set-ups of parental control of children's devices that this would entail) because their migration flow is utter garbage. 💩

Best Answer
0 Votes

Premium subscription now cancelled. you'll get no more money from me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

...and this is why making the Google account part of the login/setup process just makes it too complicated.  I personally don't understand why it was necessary. I am trying upgrade my child's account to the 13+ scenario.  Child Google account has been successfully updated and parental controls removed (and confirmed by an email from google).  Waited a few days for Fitbit app says 'upgrade your account' but when I ask it to use child's now 13+ google account... it doesn't like it and just goes back to the upgrade your account screen. Uninstalled and reinstalled app.  Same issue. Meanwhile, 13child, who saved for over a year to buy their smart watch, is sad and frustrated. Also cannot take watch back, because technically it's not faulty. Maybe they need a refund clause that permits it based on 'cant setup my device'?  It's almost like they don't want our business anymore.... make it too hard and we go away

Best Answer
0 Votes