Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set up Fitbit devices

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This has happened to me twice over that last 2 weeks. It says it's syncing but then it stops and does not update. I have 2 FitBits, Versa and Alta HR. They haven't been able to sync since March 3rd. Very disappointing and frustrating. 

This is so frustrating. Absolutely nothing has changed. Same phone, same wifi, same fitbits, no updates needed. But all of a sudden they stopped syncing. Then on the advice of the help desk I unpaired them ( and therefore lost all data for the last week), and now neither will pair again in the fitbit app. What is going on? 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Rich_Laue Thanks for your help!

@NTonCape Welcome to the forums. Thanks for reaching out about the setup of your Fitbit devices and what you have tried already. 

I was informed you inquiry with support is being processed. In this case I recommend you stay in touch with them. They will provide you with a suitable resolution. Have a nice day!

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @NTonCape did you unpair the device through your phones BT? Make sure that the tracker has been removed from the phones BT

Or did you remove the device from your Fitbit app, which movies the device from your fitbit account? 

Have you tried setting up the tracker, as if it was bought this morning. 

Please, through the fitbit, do an add device 

Have you tried, through the phones settings, stop the fitbit app? Clear the fitbit cache? Turned off the phone, restarted phone? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
So far I have turned my phone on and off, turned off/on Bluetooth, unpaired the devices from Bluetooth, deleted the devices from the fitbit app and tried to reconnect them (which worked 2 weeks ago but is not working now). The factory reset message keeps scrolling to download the app, but I have app already ( and yes I uninstalled and reinstalled the app twice only to lose my sleep module which I can't get back even though I pay for Premium), and the app says it sees the tracker but can't connect. I don't see anywhere in the app or my phone settings a place clear the cache. I am at a loss, but appreciate you trying to help.Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hold your finger on the fitbit icon. When you let go a window pops up. I then press the "i". Depending on your OS version it might be different.

Or phone settings, apps, fitbit. 

Now tap Storage. Tap clear cache, or Data

Clearing data, you will have to log back in, and accept permissions. 

Your watch will continue the five this message until it is setup

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue Thanks for your help!

@NTonCape Welcome to the forums. Thanks for reaching out about the setup of your Fitbit devices and what you have tried already. 

I was informed you inquiry with support is being processed. In this case I recommend you stay in touch with them. They will provide you with a suitable resolution. Have a nice day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I appreciate your help. I have followed all of your suggestions exactly as you described but the devices won't connect. Additionally,  this does not explain why I am paying for premium and the sleep module on my Today page is no longer available. Having worked in tech development,  I am convinced a software update was made to the app that is causing these problems. It us not user error. I think Fitbit is going to lose a lot of customers if they can't resolve these issues. My friend has a Garmin and has never experienced technical difficulties with his device or app. Competition Sent from my Galaxy

Thank you for that info, but still will not pair after clearing the cache. Fitbit has done something to the app which is causing these problems. If you look at the app reviews on Google Play, a ton of people are reporting the same problems in the last 2 weeks. Fitbit needs to fix the problem and release a new version of the app.Sent from my Galaxy

Hi, so the solution after trying everything else listed appears to be completely turning off my cell phone ( rather than just restarting it). The replacement paired after that as did my Alta HR. Thank you again for trying to help.

Best Answer

@NTonCape that solution is very possibly the best solution. 

A simple soft(ware) restart of a phone or computer may not correct a piece of hardware tgat isn't responding. In this case a hard(ware) restart will be needed, and this requires shutting the device completely off

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue Thanks for your input. @NTonCape Appreciate the reply and the explanation. I am happy to read you found a solution. That will definitely help other users. 

Have a nice day!

Best Answer
0 Votes