Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bug: incorrect energy displayed

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On the today page of the app, if I select the energy icon I get a graph of the energy I've burnt per day throughout the week; this is typically between 8k kilojoules and 16k kilojoules. If I press the graph it enlarges, filling the whole screen; the problem is the numbers change, and it claims I typically burn between about 30k and 80k kilojoules per day. The relative size of the bars are the same, but the numbers become absurd.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @cribbyhibby could you post the screen shots. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

screenshot_20201219-212954.png

screenshot_20201219-213006.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I still appear to be having this issue. Does anyone else experience this? Note that the final bar is a different height because the screenshots were taken at different times of the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue I think I’ve figured out what is going wrong (ignore my other posts), but I can’t fix it - it needs a software update.

This appears to be a very simple error, and it shouldn’t take the team long to fix it.

Firstly, this does not happen when the units are set to calories, only kilojoules.

It appears that energy must be stored in Fitbit in calories, and when it displays the value in kilojoules it converts the values. I think an arithmetic error is occurring. The conversion is approximately: energy in kilocalories x 4.184 = energy in kilojoules. When the graph view is zoomed in, and displayed in kilojoules, Fitbit incorrectly carries out the multiplication by 4.184 twice. It should be noted that, like many things, when Fitbit say “calories” it really means “kilocalories” or “the large calorie”.

e.g. if I set the units to calories then today it says I’ve burned 675 Kcal (so far):
screenshot_20210316-084357.png

If I switch the units to KJ, but do not zoom in on the graph it says I’ve burned 2828 KJ. This makes sense, as the conversion gives:
675 Kcal x 4.184 = 2824 KJ, which is approximately 2828 Kj:
screenshot_20210316-084414.png

But if I zoom in on the graph it says I’ve burned 11,832 KJ, which is consistent with Fitbit accidentally multiplying the value in kilocalories by 4.184 twice:
675 Kcal x 4.184 x 4.184 = 11,816 KJ, which is approximately the 11,832 KJ value displayed:
screenshot_20210316-084424.png
Do you know how to report this bug to the team? There also appears to be another minor bug with the bar in the graph displaying “today”. You can see that when I changed the units from calories to kilojoules the bar suddenly got smaller. This sometimes happens for me even when I haven’t changed units in the app.

I’m currently using:
-Pixel 4 running Android 11
-Fitbit app, version 3.39.2 (20243554)
-Charge 4, firmware version 48.20001.100.34

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a different problem with energy displayed changed from a graph which tracks the bpm displayed to something like a a averaged  some days it is normal but some other days or after a while the energy displayed before it's gone I'm using an Android phone this problem may be starting at the beginning of year 2022

Best Answer
0 Votes