Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet speed needed to sync successfully

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My brother is considering getting the charge 3 but doesn't want to take a risk of having to sell the device. He is working on a ship where in many cases for 2-3 weeks he is bound to quite slow satellite internet connection. Is there any way to check if the fitbit app would sync amount of charge 3 data properly without buying the device (how stable the connection has to be, how big are chunks of data)? Whatsapp is working fine (just slow sync) but most of the websites (especially these with ads) are timeouting.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@kziel1, there is not a very large amount of data transmitted while syncing the tracker to the Fitbit servers, and if he syncs the tracker at least once every 5 days all of the data on the tracker will be updated to the Fitbit servers.

The syncing and displaying data is a two step process: 1) When syncing the tracker, the data is pulled from the tracker via Bluetooth, and transmitted to the Fitbit servers via WiFi; and 2) After the tracker has been synced, the data is compiled and downloaded via WiFi to populate the fields on the Fitbit app.

I just checked my phone's data usage, and found the app has used 43Mb of data since Nov 1st, which is approximately 5Mb of data per day.  For the month of October, it used 88Mb, which is approximately 3Mb per day. For September it use 53Mb, which is approximately 2Mb per day.

This shows that there is very little data transmitted with the syncing and data download process between the Fitbit app and the Fitbit servers via WiFi.  I do not have All Day Sync enabled, and your brother will not want/need it enabled while on the ship, either.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2 REPLIES 2

@kziel1, there is not a very large amount of data transmitted while syncing the tracker to the Fitbit servers, and if he syncs the tracker at least once every 5 days all of the data on the tracker will be updated to the Fitbit servers.

The syncing and displaying data is a two step process: 1) When syncing the tracker, the data is pulled from the tracker via Bluetooth, and transmitted to the Fitbit servers via WiFi; and 2) After the tracker has been synced, the data is compiled and downloaded via WiFi to populate the fields on the Fitbit app.

I just checked my phone's data usage, and found the app has used 43Mb of data since Nov 1st, which is approximately 5Mb of data per day.  For the month of October, it used 88Mb, which is approximately 3Mb per day. For September it use 53Mb, which is approximately 2Mb per day.

This shows that there is very little data transmitted with the syncing and data download process between the Fitbit app and the Fitbit servers via WiFi.  I do not have All Day Sync enabled, and your brother will not want/need it enabled while on the ship, either.

Best Answer

I also work on a ship. My Charge3 works great at home, but does not show logged sleep on the ship unless I edit the times manually. I put in a wide range at first, and narrow the times based on the awake portions of the graph. It would be an improvement if the app were not so dependent on a high speed internet connection.

Best Answer