Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria scale shows wrong weight readings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I've been happily using my Aria scale for awhile, but for the past couple of weeks, although I felt like I worked really hard on my eating and fitness, my weight has seemingly hardly budged. So I checked my weight on my older electronic scale, and it showed me as being about 1 lb less than the Aria scale was showing. Ok, no big deal... But then I had my husband get on both scales to compare, and he actually weighs LESS on the Aria scale. How can it be that I weigh MORE on the Aria scale compared to a regular electronic scale, but for my husband it's the opposite?? And then, if I keep getting on the Aria, my weight will gradually inch down towards a number that's closer to what my other electronic scale says. 

Obviously this is making me very suspicious about the accuracy of the Aria. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or it needs to be calibrated or something? Has anyone else encountered accuracy/consistency problems like this?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me into this problem! 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Recently my Aria has been off by at least a pound from my other scale.  The craziest thing was when I weighed more in the morning than when I went to bed!

Best Answer

I too am having accuracy issues. I got on yesterday and had 3 different readings. This morning I got the same reading as the "happy medium" I chose yesterday except the fat percetage was different (increased) than at the same weight the day before. I thought getting the Aria was going to be a more accurate choice but I'm finding it less than what I anticipated. Anybody have a solution?

Best Answer

Regarding accuracy vs. consistency, you may want to read this post.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Hi there,

No, I haven't found a solution yet. I weighed myself this morning on my "regular" electronic scale first, and then on my Aria.. Over a lb difference! (With Aria showing me as being heavier). "Ok, no big deal" I thought - as long as Aria is consistent, it will still show accurate weight loss over time. Well... I hopped on several more times (like 5), and my weight was different each time, with 0.6 of a pound being the difference between the highest and lowest weight. What the?! I would think this fluctuation might be normal since the scale is so sensitive, except for the fact that my regular scale shows me as being the same (lower) weight no matter how many times I step on within the span of a few minutes. 

So frustrating! When you've worked really hard all week, you want that extra 0.6 of a lb credit!

Best Answer

I think my story is the most bizarre. I think the Aria is really off. It,constantly, fluctuates even if I get weigh myself and then doing again a second later. I was trying to gain weight, and I was, until this morning. I went from 161 lbs to 166 lbs within a couple of weeks. I've been getting all my calories from mostly protein and eating healthy. A couple of bites of junk food here and there. Not a big deal. Anyway, I weighed myself yesterday morning, and I was 165.8 lbs. I did it at night once I left the gym, and I was 164 lbs, and when I woke up this morning, and got on the scale, it read 155 lbs. How in the world did I lose 9 lbs overnight? There's no way, so I step right back on the scale, and I'm 157.3 lbs. I suddenly gain 2.3 lbs in 3 seconds. Something suspicious about its readings.

Best Answer

I have three scales, the Aria and two similar scales from Withings:

smartscales.jpg

Yes, you can call me a smartscale freak Smiley LOL.

I step on each of them every morning. The Aria always sees me heavier than both Withings (which give me the same weight), always by 0.4-0.5 kg. It also always sees me slightly fatter, by 0.5-1.0%. Based on these observations, I would say the Aria is less accurate (in absolute terms), but the difference with the other scales is minimal and always in the same direction.

Looks like with the Aria, YMMV. I purchased mine in June 2013, btw.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Depending on how you stand on the scale it can change you readings. But for it to show the 9 pound weight change I have no idea how that could happen unless you did and amazing workout of sleepwalking.

Best Answer

@Kingtute6 It's great to have you aboard in our Fitbit Community! I really appreciate your contribution and help in this thread. If you need additional help, please don't hesitate to get back.

In the meantime, I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can share your experience, meet people and create new topics.

Hope to see you in our Fitbit Community more often my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

I can weigh several pounds different by moving it 1/4 inch in any direction. Also, have have weighed more (3 or 4 pounds) naked in the morning than I have fully clothed after water and coffee at the doctor's office I work at, 30 minutes later. I can quite literally get a 7 lb weight difference depending on where it is located. All on the same type of floor. Yes, I know my floor is not completely flat being as I live in an older home. However, there is no wobble or wiggle of the feet on the floor. I try to stand at the same spot on the machine. I would not care if it was up to .5lb difference but I quite honestly have no idea what I weigh according to this expensive piece of junk. I came looking to see what I have done wrong for the past year and all I get is it is consistently inconsistent.  Which means we know it is junk just be happy withat it, fatty. 

Even leaving it in the same spot and just going by trend, it does not good. Eventually a child bumps it a quarter inch and I loose or gain 6lbs. 

Moderator edit: format.

Best Answer

Wooow this Aria scale is crazy lol I went from 147 to 152 in seconds, I kept weighing myself and it gives me different readings, I’m so disappointed because I thought for sure I will get my accurate weight reading, I burn like 1800 to 2100 calories a day. What other way to get my loosing pounds results besides these scales that’s becoming useless lol. To be honest, by it was given me false information on my weight loss goals, It did made me work extra harder, who else Having this problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the same problem I am having - all of a sudden - I've been in the 131-134 range for weeks now and then just 2 days ago I weighed 141!!! What? 8-10lb increase in just 2 days? I don't think so. I have definitely not been eating like that and I run almost every day....even ran a 10k during this scale issue. I've removed the batteries multiple times, hoping a reset would FIX this, but no luck...I consistently weight 141-142 now over the past 2 days...still makes no sense. Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions? Regarding the scale of course....

Best Answer

I still couldn’t get mines to work right, I can’t even reset it. Paying so much money for something like that is a huge disappointment. I contacted Fitbit on other items I purchase and they couldn’t even help me. So I gave the scale away, I will try to see if I can buy the ones they have in the gym, where you hold it and it reads your body fat. Hopefully Fitbit can find a solution 

Best Answer

@bubby It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community! I apologize for the late response and I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale didn't provide consistent readings. I'm also sorry that you decided to give away your scale. I totally appreciate your feedback and comments. This info will be forwarded to our team since this helps us to keep improving.

@krystyn Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'll be glad to find a solution for the accuracy issue you've experienced with your Aria scale. Than you for restarting your scale before contacting the forums. Please re-calibrate your Aria by weighing yourself 5 consecutive times and make sure that your scale is placed on an even or flat surface. Let me know if the re-calibration fixes the issue.

See you later! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I use my Aria scale almost every morning when sober and it is consistently showing 1,8 kg (4 pounds) too much. I compare regularly with my mechanical scale and have a checkup every month at the physician where I am weighed on a mechanical scale with movable weights.

I found out that if I weigh a second time the Aria shows first 'HI' and after weighing 'THINKING'. When it shows this text the result is correct... I have to delete the first weighing from my log afterwards.

I have recalibrated by weighing myself 5 times, but the next morning it's the same thing all over again.

How can I fix this ?

Only one user is registered and firmware version is 39.

Best Answer

@SimonFits Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not providing accurate readings. Thank you by the way, for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums. Please make sure that your Aria scale is placed on an even or flat surface. It it's on a flat surface, restart your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Finally monitor your scale and see if the issue gets fixed.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit thanks for your reply. I took out the batteries for more than 15 seconds and for the last 4 days (same time in the morning) I used the Aria scale on a different surface which is perfectly flat and smooth (the other floor has a slightly rough surface on the ceramic tiles). It made no difference. I still have to weigh myself twice to get accurate readings (with second time showing "HI" and "THINKING").

Best Answer

@SimonFits I'm sorry for the late response! It seems that you have tried all the recommended tips for this issue. Since the issue still persists, let me send your case to our Support team so they can follow up and provide a solution for you. You should receive an email from them soon.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine showed more than 10 kg wrong yedterday... I did multiple tests and it seems this product is unreliable. 

Best Answer

Seems like my problem is solved. I was storing my scale on top of some towels. I didn't know you have to store it horizontally and on a hard surface...

Best Answer
0 Votes