Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze Issue - Please read

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Overall, I love my Blaze. Many more pros than cons for me. 

With that, there is one MAJOR issue I'm having with my Blaze while running. I have the "Quick View" set to OFF. It is still too cold most mornings when I go for my run and must wear long sleeve UnderArmor shirt and jacket. When I'm getting ready to run, I select Exercise/Run/start. The past two weeks on my "long training runs" I hit start with my Blaze and begin running. Apparently somehow the Blaze is waking up while under the sleeve and eventually my run ends, even though I did not request it. Last Friday I was doing my 9 mile run and it did this about 5 miles into the run. I was using the RoadID app so my wife can follow me since I would like her to track where I'm at in case something happens to me. Today, the same thing happened, after just over 5 miles, my Fitbit ended the run and I had to solely rely on RoadID.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago too as it happened on my 6 mile run too but never heard any responses. If an admin or someone knows someone who can relay this message on, it really is an issue, at least until we can start wearing short sleeves for running. I don't know if the two screenshots mean anything or not, but I wanted it to show the RoadID gave me the entire 10 mile run map and the Fitbit Run stopped just over 5 miles. 

Screenshot_2016-03-26-21-31-12.pngScreenshot_2016-03-26-21-31-12.png

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

With the quick view off, I believe that will only keep the screen from coming on when you rotate your wrist.

But the blaze touch screen is different.  If your shirt touchs the screen, and touchs it in the lower right hand corner, that will pause the run, and then I think it can end the run too.  Top right corner....

Only way I see that not happening for you, you can't keep it covered up...

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnRi wrote:

With the quick view off, I believe that will only keep the screen from coming on when you rotate your wrist.

But the blaze touch screen is different.  If your shirt touchs the screen, and touchs it in the lower right hand corner, that will pause the run, and then I think it can end the run too.  Top right corner....

Only way I see that not happening for you, you can't keep it covered up...

I believe you're absolutely correct that it can't be covered up. That is a big issue when it's only 35 degrees outside and trying to run. This has to be corrected.

Best Answer

Fortunately, that is not a problem with the Charge HR - it requires holding the side button in for several seconds, until it vibrates, to turn on or off the exercise mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@USAF-Larry wrote:

Fortunately, that is not a problem with the Charge HR - it requires holding the side button in for several seconds, until it vibrates, to turn on or off the exercise mode.

I upgraded from the Charge HR. I am referring to an issue with the Blaze and hoping someone reads this because it's important for anyone using the Blaze and having to wear long sleeves while running/walking/jogging.

Best Answer

@CallieM- hey Callie aside from this going into the help forum and the suggestion forum, are there any quick hits that steelcity can try?

@SteelCity- here is the link to the Blaze help forum- there might be users who have found a solution.. at the least, you can post there for users to help you: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/bd-p/blaze

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SteelCity this seems super frustrating! I know that if this happened to me on a long run, I would not be happy (especially if I were in some Challenges!!) I personally use my Blaze for 4-5 mile runs while wearing long sleeves in the morning as well. This hasn't happened to me, but I do wear my Blaze about 2-3 inches above my wristbone while running, so nothing could really reach the pause or finish buttons. 

I haven't seen this issue before, but something to keep in mind is that you need to have the Fitbit app constantly running in the background of your phone in order for GPS tracking to take place. If you close the app at all (perhaps you stopped for a bathroom break, opened the app, and accidentally closed it after 5 miles?) it will stop tracking.

A couple questions for you:

-How many times has this happened?

-Is it always at the same distance that it stops tracking?

-Is the GPS signal strong in all of the areas that you run in?

Let me know so I can look into this further! Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks @emili for bringing this up, and @JohnRi & @SteelCity for your input (:

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CallieFitbit wrote:

@SteelCity this seems super frustrating! I know that if this happened to me on a long run, I would not be happy (especially if I were in some Challenges!!) I personally use my Blaze for 4-5 mile runs while wearing long sleeves in the morning as well. This hasn't happened to me, but I do wear my Blaze about 2-3 inches above my wristbone while running, so nothing could really reach the pause or finish buttons. 

I haven't seen this issue before, but something to keep in mind is that you need to have the Fitbit app constantly running in the background of your phone in order for GPS tracking to take place. If you close the app at all (perhaps you stopped for a bathroom break, opened the app, and accidentally closed it after 5 miles?) it will stop tracking.

A couple questions for you:

-How many times has this happened?

-Is it always at the same distance that it stops tracking?

-Is the GPS signal strong in all of the areas that you run in?

Let me know so I can look into this further! Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks @emili for bringing this up, and @JohnRi & @SteelCity for your input (:

Hi @CallieMCallie thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. You ask some good questions. Is it possible that the Fitbit people will see this issue I've  had?

It has happened to me 4 times so far. The first time was the first weekend I got the Blaze and it stopped after 6.3 miles. The next 2 times it happened was on my training 9 mile run where it stopped just over 5 minutes into my run. Since I also had the RoadID app running, I just used that to track my distance. The 10 mile run this past Saturday it stopped somewhere just short of 6 miles, and I started over again and with just under a mile that try it stopped. So, I just gave up. The GPS signal has been excellent in 4G coverage areas. 

I hope this helps. I'm convinced it has to do with the fact I'm wearing long sleeve UnderArmor tek shirts and an UnderArmor hoodie at the time. Occasionally I will check my mileage, perhaps it isn't completely back in sleep mode when I tuck it back under my sleeve? Since I'm running I can't keep looking at it to make sure it is sleeping. Someone else pointed out that there are other motions that will activate the Blaze. I would really like to see an upgrade where you can only view the Blaze screen when you push in the left button and it shuts off after like 10 seconds of inactivity.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This issue transcends to other sports as well, I am experiencing this same issue when I play hockey or lacrosse. i believe the issue lies with the sensitive touch screen and the glove activating the pause and n the bottom right hand corner. If it is possible to have a software update where you can lock the screen and keep it from accidentally turning the exercise "off" that would be great.
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a post on the feature request forum asking for a lock screen when excercising due to this issue -

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Touch-screen-lock-for-Blaze/idi-p/1207531#M53477

I now start excercises through the app rather than watch due to my sleave pausing the excercise on a couple of walks and a run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

when starting your excercise through the App, does the 'blaze' still record your heartrate, steps etc.?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I start using the Blaze, not the app on the Fitbit app on my phone. If I was too do that, I wouldn't be able to view my run stats on the Blaze. If I have to rely only on using the app to start, that defeats the purpose of the Blaze to track my running.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree. This is why i was asking for clarification on this from the previous post. Ideally, there should be a lock screen function on the 'Blaze'. I never had this issue with the 'Surge'

Best Answer
0 Votes
This needs to be stuck in the suggestion box if there is still room.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

when starting your excercise through the App, does the 'blaze' still record your heartrate, steps etc.?

@Fraternities the answer is yes. Starting the run/walk from the app is like putting your tracker in exercise mode. Fitbit will use all the data the tracker records with the exception of distance. This of course gets calculated from GPS readings.

Now about the possibility of a lock screen I suggest adding your votes here.

Best Answer

@SteelCity thanks for getting back to me. I'm a Moderator for the Fitbit team, and have been talking to our Activity and Exercise Mod about this issue.

So - this has happened to you four times? (Sorry for more questions). How many runs (about) would you say you've done in total since you first got your Blaze? Also, is it at all possible for you to test wearing Blaze a bit lower on your wrist so that your sleeve isn't covering it? If you're able to do this, please let me know how it goes! 

One last thing - make sure that your quick view is set to 'off.' If it's turned on during runs, the quick view gesture will definitely make the screen light up. @SunsetRunner this also applies to you, too! If it is indeed set to off, then we can assume that it's the buttons, not the screen, that are accidentally finishing your run (not sure if you already figured this part out). Looking forward to chatting about this more, and if you haven't already voted for the Feature Request that @Aeneades posted, make sure to do so! (Thanks @Aeneades!) @SunsetRunner you may also want to vote for the Feature Request too!

Best Answer
@CallieM thank you for the reply. I have quick view OFF as I never liked that feature. I run 3 to 4 times a week. The times it is fine when tracking my runs is when I can wear short sleeve shirts and that Blaze is fully exposed. The Blaze sits low when running.

Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

(I also posted this in the Product Development/Feature Requests for a lock screen).

Unfortunately this morning I ran my first 10K in the rain and was 45 degrees out. I regretfully had to ditch trying to track my run again this morning due to wearing the long sleeve shirt because it stopped during the race. I just couldn't babysit it any longer. Unfortunately, due to my running, I'm going to have to look at other options to wear during runs because the Blaze just isn't going to be reliable to me, and I have my first half marathon next Saturday morning.

I really hope the request to add a lock screen somehow gets to the developers and not fall on deaf ears because my $300 investment is not what I had hoped for.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem during hockey. I think the edge of my glove repeatedly hits the touch screen. I have tried wearing my Blaze higher and lower on my arm, but when I wear it hight, it starts slipping down as I sweat. I am going to try wearing a wrist band during hockey over my Blaze. That's what I do during soccer to keep it from slipping. It's at least a temporary fix until they can come up with something!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dicupps wrote:

I have the same problem during hockey. I think the edge of my glove repeatedly hits the touch screen. I have tried wearing my Blaze higher and lower on my arm, but when I wear it hight, it starts slipping down as I sweat. I am going to try wearing a wrist band during hockey over my Blaze. That's what I do during soccer to keep it from slipping. It's at least a temporary fix until they can come up with something!

That would be a help for you, however I want to be able to see my stats and distance while I'm running along, and then at the end see my stats. It's just frustrating that the Blaze wasn't thought out more thoroughly. Thankfully some day spring will be here and no more long sleeves, but then again in the fall it will be an issue again.

Best Answer
0 Votes