Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze and 'Training'

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I understand the Blaze will link to fitstar and have a few preloaded programmes, is it likely that a 'couch to 5k' style programme would be added? I don't see one on fitstar as I guess its a running thing rather than a varied workout but being able to view something similar to the C25K trainer would be so useful!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks everyone!

Interval training didn't make it to Blaze at launch, nor am I sure it'll be there in the future. I know it has been considered, though! There's a pretty substantial Feature Request for this here. My guess for the exclusion of interval training would be that it wouldn't make it to one of our Active Fitness watch, but rather a Performance Fitness tracker (see the breakdown at the top of this page).

We do have Run Cues, which are sort of a first step to interval training. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Once again, fitbit, C25K! There is no better way to ask for interval training support. Just think of how many people with their new fitbits would enjoy having their watch tell them when to slow it down for a 45 second breather, on their way to actually running their first 5K. I can see a great commercial there. I really thought this was right up your alley. I had my hopes up with the Surge. I knew better this time, but I got excited anyway. My Garmin 410 finally died, so I'm desperate now. You can do it fitbit: Interval support! 

If not fitstar, then is there another 3rd party coming down the integration pipeline?

Should I do a startup and fill the gap?

Or, does fitbit have an operational reason to limit 3rd party integration with devices? Why no apps?

I know fitbit loves to integrate its software with others in the cloud. Heck, I remember finding a way to get my Garmin workouts to automatically sync with my fitbit account through myfitnesspal. For that reason, it was so weird for me to see a watch that came out polished and shiny looking like a smartwatch but without the app ecosystem framework.

It feels like a Pantech Jest in a world full of real smartphones, kind of. Dont get me wrong it was a great phone. The battery would last well over a week. It's not a fair comparison, but it's how it feels to me.

I really want a smart watch, I really want to give my new Charge HR to my son. Tell me there is more on the way with the Blaze, please!

EDIT: I'd not care much about the app thing if there was just some way to do custom workouts like running intervals (programmed in advance) on the watch.

Best Answer

Yes, I agree. That's one thing I did like about my Microsoft Band 2, the ability to run intervals with gentle buzzes to remind of the change over. They also had a couch to 5k in their list of training aids, with a different activity fir each day (plus a whole load of others).

Best Answer

I would love to be able to set up interval training runs.  A lot of my exercise is done as intervals and I really liked being able to set that up on my garmin.  I have used the garmin for runs along with wearing my fitbit but would be nice to make it all work with one device attached to me.

Best Answer

Thanks everyone!

Interval training didn't make it to Blaze at launch, nor am I sure it'll be there in the future. I know it has been considered, though! There's a pretty substantial Feature Request for this here. My guess for the exclusion of interval training would be that it wouldn't make it to one of our Active Fitness watch, but rather a Performance Fitness tracker (see the breakdown at the top of this page).

We do have Run Cues, which are sort of a first step to interval training. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

Best Answer
That is unfortunate that it likely not on an active fitness option. I do not think intervals are something only used by performance athletes. I do an online fitness program and we do a lot of our workouts as intervals so if I do something outside on my own, I will do intervals for that as well. The program is designed for people of all fitness levels. I feel like intervals is not an advanced option and is something that can help you to advance regardless of where you are at in your fitness level. I will definitely check out the feature request.
Best Answer
So Run Cues work either on distance or time. That's interesting and could be useful, depending on whether they are only available when "running" or whether you could also use the Time cue in any free exercise. @EmersonFitbit?
Best Answer

Run cues are only available on the "free run" setting, so I have a lot of "runs" that are walks...  I would definitely appreciate a little more flexibility!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Run Cues were built with running in mind, so that's where they'll live exclusively. However, I tested this out with walking, and it seams to work just fine Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, it works perfectly.  But when I use it, my walks are labelled runs...  Since I do run sometimes, in my OCD way I would like my runs to be labelled runs and my walks to be labelled walks.  That's why I wish there wouod be a little more flexibility...  But it is not a big deal.  The main thing is, if I use "run" cues I get an alert for my pace whether I am walking or running....

Best Answer

"My guess for the exclusion of interval training would be that it wouldn't make it to one of our Active Fitness watch, but rather a Performance Fitness tracker"

Ok so, the way I read that, coupled with the fact that there is only one Performance Fitness tracker on that page (which does not do intervals), makes me think that if they ever do intervals it will likely be some yet-unborn but hopefully already-concieved Performance tracker. I'll wait then and hang on to my HR. I have doubts on the Surge getting an upgrade.

But seriously, is your average unfit-but-excited-to-start person really going to buy the top of the line just for some help doing C25K or some other beginner program. I'm doubtful, and a little disappointed.

I like the form factor of the Blaze (replacable bands, especially seeing pictures and horror stories of surge band problems) , the color screen, I have $300-$350 for a watch that has the best of both worlds with interval support. I know I can get the new Garmin Fenix, but I like fitbit (app, website, community, customer support, etc), I've had one since 2010.

Thanks for the tip re: Run Cues, this is the first I've heard of it.

Best Answer

@ChrisRile wrote:

"My guess for the exclusion of interval training would be that it wouldn't make it to one of our Active Fitness watch, but rather a Performance Fitness tracker"

Ok so, the way I read that, coupled with the fact that there is only one Performance Fitness tracker on that page (which does not do intervals), makes me think that if they ever do intervals it will likely be some yet-unborn but hopefully already-concieved Performance tracker. I'll wait then and hang on to my HR. I have doubts on the Surge getting an upgrade.

But seriously, is your average unfit-but-excited-to-start person really going to buy the top of the line just for some help doing C25K or some other beginner program. I'm doubtful, and a little disappointed.

I like the form factor of the Blaze (replacable bands, especially seeing pictures and horror stories of surge band problems) , the color screen, I have $300-$350 for a watch that has the best of both worlds with interval support. I know I can get the new Garmin Fenix, but I like fitbit (app, website, community, customer support, etc), I've had one since 2010.

Thanks for the tip re: Run Cues, this is the first I've heard of it.

Glad I could help a bit! I'm pretty sure I fall into that "average unfit-but-excited-to-start person" category, and I could see your point about going for the middle vs top category tracker. 

Just to squash any ambiguity here, I wasn't alluding to a new performance tracker any time soon, though a guy can dream! More info to come in the future. 

Best Answer

@Julia_G wrote:

Since I do run sometimes, in my OCD way I would like my runs to be labelled runs and my walks to be labelled walks.  That's why I wish there wouod be a little more flexibility... 

I know exactly how you feel- as a teenager, I would alphabetize my iTunes library for hours at a time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi! Just got my blaze today- question: prior to purchasing I was told that if I buy the fit star premium I would be able to see those on the screen too along with the preloaded 3 workouts- how do I get my full access to the fit star premium on the blaze screen?
Best Answer

Everything I've seen by the fitbit people on these forums leads me to believe that the 3 preloaded fitstar workouts are not connected to your user account. They are 3 of the most popular workouts. And they hope to integrate further and add more fitstar workouts in the future. Hopefully Blaze will be a hit and they can reinvest their earnings into new features like this instead of buying back stock or something.

Best Answer
Hi, @nystarlight1 , currently only the 3 preloaded Fitstar workouts are available on screen on the Blaze. This is true whether or not you subscribe to Fitstar Premium.

Best Answer
Thank you so much for your response- after calling Fitbit I was told that the original customer service person completely lied to me by telling me that if purchasing the fit star premium I would see all workouts on the screen via Bluetooth. I'm debating as to whether or not I keep the blaze as that was one of the main reasons I purchased it- and it's not too different function wise from my charge hr.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope more Fitstar workouts become available on the tracker.. it's not capable to stream workouts through Bluetooth.

Mysterious support told you that.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your participation in the forums @nystarlight1! As @Julia_G and @ChrisRile mentioned, only the 3 most popular workouts from Fitstar are available on your Blaze's menu. Here's how to get started on them. 

Nevertheless, there are plenty more workouts available through Fitstar! Choose between Yoga and Personal trainer to start exercising. Smiley Wink

Let me know if you have any questions, happy stepping! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Like this? @HelenaFitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes