Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze not picking up HR properly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there my Blaze doesn't seem to be picking up my HR properly. I used to use a Charge which gave me very different readings for the same exercise classes! I think the strap might be too loose, is it possible to buy a smaller one separately? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi there @NFitz. Great to see you in the Community Forums! 🙂

As you mention, it's super important for your tracker to fit a little tight while you're working out to pick up an optimal heart rate and therefore, count your activity more accurately. 

For all-day wear when you’re not exercising, your tracker should usually rest a finger’s width below your wrist bone and lay flat, just as you would wear a watch. Fitbit’s PurePulse heart rate tracking system is designed to be most accurate when the tracker is worn on the top of your wrist.
User-added image
For improved heart rate accuracy keep these tips in mind:

1. Experiment with wearing the tracker higher on your wrist during exercise. Because blood flow in your arm increases the farther up you go, moving the tracker up a couple inches can improve the heart rate signal. Also, many exercises such as push-ups cause you to bend your wrist frequently, which is more likely to interfere with the heart rate signal if the tracker is lower on your wrist.
    User-added image
  2. Do not wear your tracker too tight; a tight band restricts blood flow, potentially affecting the heart rate signal. That being said, the tracker should also be slightly tighter (snug but not constricting) during exercise than during all-day wear.
  3. With high-intensity interval training, P90X, boxing, or other activities where your wrist is moving vigorously and non-rhythmically, the movement may prevent the sensor from finding an accurate heart rate. Similarly, with exercises such as weight lifting or rowing, your wrist muscles may flex in such a way that the band tightens and loosens during exercise. Try relaxing your wrist and staying still briefly (about 10 seconds), after which you should see an accurate heart rate reading. Note that your tracker will still provide accurate calorie burn readings during these types of exercise by analyzing your heart rate trends over the course of the workout.

If you'd prefer, you can also buy smaller wrist bands only since they are interchangeable as you may know. You can find them available on the online store.

Anything else you might need help with, let me know. I'll be happy to help! 🙂

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ferdin 

Thanks for your response. I bought a small wrist band following your advice and have been using it for a week but my heart rate is still not being picked up for large parts of the day and I'm only getting simplified sleep patterns ☹️

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ferdin

Any other suggestions? I'm still only getting simplified sleep patterns and yet to get a full days recording of my HR! Very annoying!

Thanks  

Best Answer
0 Votes