Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze step counts vs. Google Fit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I switched back to Fitbit from Google Fit in January When I was using Google Fit, I consistently got 10,000+ steps during my workday. Now, using the Blaze, I am averaging 4,000-7,000, despite walking the same amount, to the same destinations. This is discouraging now, but will really become a problem once I begin walking for exercise again in the spring. Once the days are longer, I will begin walking 4 - 5 miles a day again, and I really want my distances to be accurate. 

I have tried changing the stride length, going as low as 20 inches, but I have not had a 10,000 step day since I started using my Blaze on January 13th. I've read some information on the forums about the differences between the algorithms, but that doesn't seem sufficient to account for a discrepancy of 3,000 steps a day. I like the other features of the Blaze (particularly the continuous heart rate monitor), but this is incredibly frustrating for someone who walks as their primary form of exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

With what device were you using Google Fit?  Phone?   Have you compared, say, 200 steps with Blaze and phone/Google Fit to compare results?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two different technologies. They will never match

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was using Google Fit with an Asus Zenwatch smartwatch worn on my
non-dominant hand, in the same position as the Blaze. I don't know if I can
do a side-by-side comparison, because the ZenWatch stopped charging (which
was why I bought the Blaze). If I can get the watch to hold a charge long
enough to wear it for a day, I will do so. If I can't, what are my other
options to find a reason for the discrepancy?
Best Answer
0 Votes

A step is a step.  Regardless of the device measuring it.  Asus Zenwatch 2 is my smartwatch too.  I may strap 'em both on tonight and test a block or two of walking.  All I can suggest is to check your stride length and make sure it's set right in the Fitbit app.  The default is based on your height and weight and I bet Google Fit either didn't ask your stride length or makes an assumption as well.

Best Answer

OK, curiosity was killing me so:  I strapped on the Asus Zenwatch 2 and fired up Google Fit.  Counted off 100 steps waking around the office.  The Zenwatch with Google Fit app gave me 102 steps, Fitbit Blaze gave me 98 steps.  Surprisingly the Asus ZenFit app gave me 90 steps !  That's an app on the same watch as is running Google Fit !  These are really 'arm movement estimators' after all.  Every one of 'em.

Best Answer

If the discrepancy was a few steps, or even a hundred, I wouldn't fret about it. But, looking back through my Google Fit data, I rarely had a workday where I didn't make 10,000 steps. My highest step count since I started using the Blaze is ~8,800...and that was a day when I barely sat down. I like everything else about the Blaze, but this is super frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes