Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze vs Fix Problems with Existing Products

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It's so sad that this company decided to push out another inferior product without addressing the problems that already exist in its existing product line. Now they just have another thing that you can wear that won't monitor your heart correctly, and you still can't export all the data (such as your heart rate) from the dashboard. You have to carry your phone around while wearing the Blaze if you want GPS and Fitbit will probably tell you that you have to strap the Blaze around your chest with duct tape if you really want accurate heart rate monitoring. What a waste of energy. There is already tons of competition in this space with watches that look better and have more functionality than the Blaze. Please Fitbit, either create something completely new and revolutionary or at a minimum, fix the problems you already have!

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Wow! Impressive - you've managed to trash a product that hasn't even been released yet. Could you be more negative?

Best Answer
I still can't get over the fact that so many people believe that their world/product view = the only world/product view.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I could be more negative, but I have actually been a loyal Fitbit user for five years. I've upgraded and purchased almost all of their products as each came out. And initially, the company was an excellent innovater and provided high quality customer service. The initial series of products did what they claimed to do almost perfectly. There was no other comparable competition and it was easy to spend another $100 each time a new upgrade came out as they delivered on the functionality each and every time. However, the addition of HR functionality has been problematic, to say the least. It is not only my opinion, but the opinion of thousands of other users out there (search the strings), that the HR functionality needs serious attention and improvement. And the fact that Fitbit still states that users "own and can export their data" but fails to tell us that we don't own our HR data is just a blatant marketing lie. Furthermore, the Fitbit customer service has deteriorated over the past few years as well. Now we typically get template responses over and over regardless of the nuances that loyal customers try to provide the support staff.

You are right that it is not fair of me to trash a product that hasn't been released yet, but when I saw the Blaze pre-release on the website this morning, I was just so disappointed given the unsolved problems with the Charge HR and Surge.

Best Answer
I can understand where you are coming from. I agree that there are issues with the current products. Let's hope we'll be pleasantly surprised by the Blaze and that they'll address those issues soon.
Best Answer

Yes, you see I don't see thousands in the forums with the same problems but I accept I don't read  everything. I see tens of people with the same problems posting quite a few times and, over a year, I'd agree that we may actually be talking about hundreds but that is surely a very small proportion of the user base.

I'm not saying there are no issues so don't get me wrong there but it was what read as another sweeping generalisation that I was trying to question in my usual somewhat unsubtle manner.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@MikeF wrote:

Yes, you see I don't see thousands in the forums with the same problems but I accept I don't read  everything. I see tens of people with the same problems posting quite a few times and, over a year, I'd agree that we may actually be talking about hundreds but that is surely a very small proportion of the user base.

I'm not saying there are no issues so don't get me wrong there but it was what read as another sweeping generalisation that I was trying to question in my usual somewhat unsubtle manner.

I don't think that's a fair assessment, given that an unknown number of people never come to these forums at all.  I have friends who have used Fitbit products for years who have never once logged into the forums.  I think that the people who do are the proverbial "tip of the iceberg?  This is why I've always believed that Fitbit should be listening to those who care enough to come here.  How many people just put their devices in a drawer somewhere and just never say a word?  The estimates I've read say 40%.  That would be thousands and thousands I'd think.

Best Answer

Out of the several dozen people i have met or known. Currently 13 relatives not one has had a problem, several are surpised that anyone would have a problem. These are the 3+ years with the same fitbit users.  Yes 2 Ultras died both after 6 years of use.

Most say they never had to even restart the tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@vansos Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure it reaches the appropriate team. At Fitbit, we take all user feedback into account when improving our products and services.

As for the issues that you've experienced with heart rate readings, I recommend checking out the Surge or Charge HR boards for suggestions as well as our help articles, specifically the Heart Rate FAQs page.

In regards to exporting heart rate, that is possible for specific tracked exercises as my good friend @EmersonFitbit has explained in the past, here. 

As for Connected GPS, it's true that users will need to carry their phones with them to record GPS mappings for their activities. We chose to use Connected GPS instead of a built-in GPS chip as the Surge already has, in order to keep the price point lower than Surge and also to keep the design thinner and sleeker. I personally don't use GPS as much as users who wear Surge do so Connected GPS will be perfect for me. It also will keep my Blaze's battery life lasting longer while doing GPS exercises.

Everyone -- Let's make sure to keep the conversation here strictly about the Fitbit Blaze as this is the Blaze board. If you would like to continue discussion around our other trackers, please check out those respective boards here. Thanks guys!

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@vansos Not sure if you've seen the videos for the Blaze, but it's an amazing product. The best part about it is integration with FitStar.  That's some really amazing stuff that Fitbit did there.

As for existing product line, I am sure Fitbit will come out with upgrades in the future.  It seems like you simply have your expectations set too high.  When the iPhone gen 1 first came out... it's not even recognizable to what you have now in the iphone 6s.  You can't expect a product to be perfect from the get go.  As technology gets better, the product will get better.

Fitbit made the right choice creating the Blaze.  There were a large part of the consumer base that wanted something that was more customizable.  Many of them are still holding onto their Flex, because they had the flexibility to change the colors of their bands.  They now have the opportunity to upgrade to the Blaze.  

Many like myself would like to go swimming with our Fitbits without the anxiety of getting it damaged.  I believe that Fitbit will be able to make a special "waterproof" casing that will give us an option to do so as an added accessory.

Finally, the Fitstar Integration is amazing.  What I like about Fitbit is that they know what they're about.  Most of us don't expect a miracle product: we simply want a activity tracker that is affordable and is focused on health and wellness.  You state you are a long time Fitbit customer, but you seem to not understand that what they are doing is revolutionary in progress.

There are other products that may be flashier and apparently it can do everything etc.. etc.., but at the end of the day, you will quickly find out none of those things are worth your time.  Do you really want to be playing games or watching a movie on your wrist?  Fitbit is focused on health and wellness and knows what they're doing.  They will upgrade their existing line when they feel that there is enough technological advancement to make it worthwhile. 

Best Answer

I don't get this inaccurate heart rate monitoring stuff. Sure, sometimes the my Charge HR is way off, but eventually it comes around as I move it to a different location on my wrist and/or wipe the sweat off my arm. I have noticed that when I am on a treadmill or bike, that the Charge HR is within 1 beat of the HR monitor on the machine. Close enough for me!

I preorderd the Blaze. Can't wait to get it. Looks to me to be an Apple Watch competitor with a fitness focus, instead of a gajillion apps that one can load...oh and at at least 1/2 the price!

Best Answer

@JeffInNC wrote:

I don't get this inaccurate heart rate monitoring stuff. Sure, sometimes the my Charge HR is way off, but eventually it comes around as I move it to a different location on my wrist and/or wipe the sweat off my arm. I have noticed that when I am on a treadmill or bike, that the Charge HR is within 1 beat of the HR monitor on the machine. Close enough for me!

I preorderd the Blaze. Can't wait to get it. Looks to me to be an Apple Watch competitor with a fitness focus, instead of a gajillion apps that one can load...oh and at at least 1/2 the price!

I'm happy that yours is functioning as it should, but I have had a different experience.  Most times, as you report, my heart rate is very much in line with what I see on exercise equipment, but I can go for a brisk walk, and the number goes up to something that is not life sustaining.  I am wearing it in exactly the same place, and I'm not sweating during a brisk walk, but I get a wildly different rate, not just for a couple of minutes, but for a period that can be anywhere from half an hour to an hour.  Then the next time, it's working fine.  It's the inconsistency that I think troubles a lot of people.

Best Answer
0 Votes

HR inconsistency on walking and running has been noted in a number of published reviews. And those reviews also noted HR inaccuracy on other exercises. I've noted the same problems.

Some pubs (Wall Street Journal, CNET) have compared HRM technology to EKG, and noted the accuracy of chest strap to EKG while finding issues with optical HRM. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, the HR is off sometimes, seems to be dependent on the kind of activity (try rowing on a machine, +/- 30 beats compared to a chest strap). Nevertheless, overall the fitbit devices are still superior to most other trackers out there, get a Microsoft Band 2 and stare in wonder how you get around your house without actually doing a single step or climbing a single floor.

For me connected GPS is good enough, I always have my phone with me when running. I do see how this might be a problem for serious runners, but then again, I never had the impression fitbit trackers were aimed at this group. Isn't that what e.g. Garmin, Polar and the likes are for?

I carry a Surge at the moment and I think it's way too bulky, always gets in the way of sleeves. If Connected GPS is what it takes to have a smaller footprint so be it.

What annoys me most about the Blaze is, that we're back to tap-to-show-time. I realize this is again about battery life but it feels like a huge step back again. Ironically, the battery life of my Surge has deteriorated ever since fitbit introduced the turn-wrist-to-turn-on-background-light feature, so if the blaze has that same feature I bet the claimed battery life of 5 days is wishful thinking. I also used to wear a Microsoft Band 2, which also has a color display and battery life was horrible (less than 24h most days, but never 48h).

And one more thing, why doesn't the Blaze display take the full width and height of the frame? These huge bezels make the Blaze appear cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I preordered mine anyway (actually, I ordered 2 of them, the other one being a gift) but I can't help the feeling that this device could have been outstanding with just a little more thought.
Best Answer
0 Votes

We all have different needs.  The Blaze meets most of my wishlist for how I wanted to improve my Charge HR.

Being able to change the band is a huge, huge deal to me.  It makes this usable for me in situations that the Charge HR wasn't usable.  And, just overall makes it more versatile and allow a lot of potential options.

The connected GPS is perfect for me.  I am not a runner.  I do walk.  I often wear a chest strap to walk (having it talk to my phone) and I get GPS through that.  I looked at the Surge and just too big and ugly for me.  The tradeoff in size to put the GPS in the Blaze would make it unappealing to me.  And, realistically, I always have my phone with me when I walk.

Better HR  monitoring?  Would like to have it, but I can wear my chest strap when I do things that it doesn't read well (like weight lifting).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gonfreaksss I do agree with you when bringing up the customization of the Blaze as a positive point. As for swimming with Blaze, as @MatthewFitbit brought up in this post, it comes with a cost that doesn't make much sense.

FitStar integration into the Blaze is awesome as you now have the ability to do guided workouts, not just the workouts that you'd normally do on your own.

@JeffInNC@Koshka Great to hear about your excitement for Blaze! Robot Very Happy

@Lightsinger@bbarrera Check out our Heart Rate FAQs page, specifically the "what impacts the accuracy of my heart rate reading?" section. If you're stil experiencing issues, please reach out to us at your convenience and our amazing Support Team will work with you in a one-on-one setting to help get you back up to speed.

@Aredhel For me, Connected GPS is an amazing addition. Anytime I go out to walk, run or hike, I bring my phone along so the option to use Connected GPS and not affect the battery life of my Blaze is another plus for me.

Thanks for your feedback! We always take our customer feedback into great consideration when improving or putting out products and services. I will make sure that your feedback is heard by our product team.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would have paid more for built in GPS. Built in GPS means only needing one device to track a run, walk, etc.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@golfercacher

Than the Surge is what you would want. This is supposed to be between the Charge HR and the Surge. Adding built in GPS would make it above the Surge and Fitbit wanted a new model that wasn't as advance or high fitness as the Surge is.

Built in GPS is a lot better on the battery which can only be a good thing. I know people don't like to carry a phone but I don't see how anyone couldn't. I mean what if you get injured, accidents, need to call 911, family emergency etc. Anything could happen where you may need a phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the surge. I like the screen of the blaze. Too bad I can't combine them. I don't run with a phone. I wear an ID bracelet. Part of running for me is being free from distraction....phone vibrating from calls, texts, etc. isn't being free from distraction. I'm looking at Garmin vivoactive. GPS, better screen, nice price point, etc.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@golfercacher

Yeah, it would be cool to get the Surge features in a Blaze package. Totally forgot about ID bracelets as I'm not a serious runner so carrying my phone doesn't bother me.

I love Fitbit and am really excited about the Blaze but I agree that the Garmin Vivoactive looks awesome and I heard a lot of good things about it. Nothing against Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes