Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I'll start by saying that the Fitbit Blaze was my first foray into the world of Fitbit.  I did an extensive amount of research on Fitbit's website before buying mine, including checking to make sure that it was compatible with my Window's Phone. 

My first disappointment came when I received it and tried setting the device up with my phone.  It was claiming not to be compatible with my device, seeing as how Window's phones still run Windows 8 and not Windows 10.  Come to find out, this is a known problem.  Although highly disappointed that Fitbit's website gave false information, I decided that it would not be that big of a deal to have to plug it into my computer every couple of days and have it sync that way.

Two days ago, my Blaze, while in its charger, fell from a foot up and hit a pillow on my bed.  I saw it falling, but as I was across the room could not reach it in time to catch it.  I pick it up and the screen is shattered.  So today I contact Fitbit support to see about getting it repaired.  Notice I said repaired, not replaced.  I wasn't looking for a new device for free; I know that with electronic devices things happen.  Usually, however, a company has a repair process for a fee.  After spending almost an hour chatting with a Fitbit employee I discovered that that is not the case for Fitbit devices.  If it doesn't fit their warrant policy for replacement, there is nothing they can do.  As a customer of their product, this is Extremely Disappointing.  The best they could offer is 25% off a new product; a new product that less than a month from now could end up in the same boat due to another accident. 

As someone who isn't made of money, and saved to buy my first device, getting 25% off of a device isn't going to help.  I simply wanted a way to get my screen fixed after it shattered by simply hitting a pillow (despite being told that due to the damage it must have hit something else.  I'm sorry Fitbit customer service, but you weren't there, I was.  There was nothing else in the path of it for it to hit.  Ergo, you are basically calling me a liar, which also doesn't make me want to buy another product from you all.)

Due to the lack of options other than buying a new device, I regret to state that I will look elsewhere then Fitbit for my next device, and preferably go with a company that actually has a repair process.  Like I said, I wasn't looking for a new device, I just want to get my current one repaired at a reasonable price.  $150 for a new device isn't reasonable for someone who has had a Fitbit for less than a month.  I hope others don't have the experience I did, and I hope Fitbit finds a way to offer a repair option to devices when accidents happen.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for your participation in the forums @shadow_wolf. I'd like to explain the information provided by Customer Support a bit further so we can be on the same page. 

We appreciate your feedback about why we offered a discount instead of a replacement. Our limited warranty provides replacements for trackers deemed to have a manufacturer's defect within 365 days of purchase. 

Since your Blaze had a physical damage; it did not meet these warranty conditions. Therefore we offered a courtesy discount of 25% good towards the purchase of any tracker. 

We strive for excellent customer service and in the past often replaced trackers that were not covered under warranty. Though customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we now enforce our warranty consistently.

Let me know if you have any questions, have a great day! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
34 REPLIES 34

Hello @shadow_wolf,

Any chance that you purchased it with an American Express card?  They have a 90 day damaged/stolen replacement policy.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have to say, falling from 1 foot onto a soft surface won't shatter any glass screen that I know of. How did it even fall in the first place. Plus, if it was in the charger it would have had to land on something really hard and sharp at a large speed in order to accomplish a shattered screen. Something else must have happened during that fall to have caused the screen to shatter. 

Also, a tempered glass screen prote4ctor is always a good recommendation for electronic devices. I have one for my blaze for this reason as well.

It's unfortunate that your screen shattered.

Best Answer

Thank you for your participation in the forums @shadow_wolf. I'd like to explain the information provided by Customer Support a bit further so we can be on the same page. 

We appreciate your feedback about why we offered a discount instead of a replacement. Our limited warranty provides replacements for trackers deemed to have a manufacturer's defect within 365 days of purchase. 

Since your Blaze had a physical damage; it did not meet these warranty conditions. Therefore we offered a courtesy discount of 25% good towards the purchase of any tracker. 

We strive for excellent customer service and in the past often replaced trackers that were not covered under warranty. Though customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we now enforce our warranty consistently.

Let me know if you have any questions, have a great day! Smiley Very Happy

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh man where do I begin.  I guess I start by saying my fitbit blaze is not my first foray into the world of fitbit trackers.  I previously owned a fitbit charge and had issues with the band breaking away from the tracker.  The fitbit customer service I received regarding this was fantastic.  They replaced the Charge due to the issue and I had a new unit within a few days.  Major score on that for the fitbit team.  The problem was about 7-8 months later the replacement Charge experienced the exact same issue and when I contacted them al I was offered was a 25% discount on another replacement.  At that point I wasn't interested in the Charge as it had demonstrated a tendency to be poorly designed in the manner in which the tracking device was secured to the band.

I was considering leaving fitbit at that point in favour of another tracker.  After careful consideration and research I decided to remain with fitbit and upgrade to the fitbit Blaze.  Now I sit here approximately 1 month after upgrade wondering if I made a poor decision.  Again I love the Blaze as a tracker but at some point while gardening and wearing work gloves with a cuff my screen became damaged.  Not sure what may have happened but don't recall banging or striking it but it is definitely cracked.

I am trying really hard to remain brand loyal as I do like the fitbit tracking capabilities but the durability of their product is making it really expensive and very difficult.

Fitbit Customer Service team.......you're up

Best Answer
Contacting the customer service team is best done via one of the methods listed on http://contact.fitbit.com. They don't habitually work these boards.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@ProSpize I've had band issues with Flex, Force, and Surge. Blaze has other issues.

My most durable Fitbit tracker? My almost 3 year old iPhone 5s (MobileTrack).

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @ProSpize. Good to see you around!

I'm sorry to hear the issue you're experiencing with your Blaze tracker 😕

I would recommend contacting our Support Team directly. They evaluate each case on an individual basis and I'm pretty sure they will be happy to help you out with this.

Let us know if you need more help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would think the company would be looking in to why their device cracks so easily. I would also expect that the device that is made for fitness/activity would be more durable. There appears to be many devices that are cracking, so something would seem wrong. As one poster put it...I would be happy with a fix not necessarily a replacement. I have been happy with my first two trackers and also love the functionality of the blaze but expected more from fitbit. This will likely be my and my families last fitbit devices.

Best Answer

Thank you for your participation in the forums @Jrsink and @AZPete! It's great to see you here. 

I'd like to mention that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts, please know that we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

That is an excellent suggestion @AZPete! I'm sure it'll prove helpful for our Community members. Smiley Happy

If there any questions present, please let me know and I'll be glad to help. Cat Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jrsink

If it's an issue with the Gorilla Glass that's on the phone, that's under a manufacturing defect. There's a huge difference between physical damage and a manufacturing defect. The OP should be able to exchange the Blaze.

Read this for a better explanation. This is what I based the manufacturing defect on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

One line in a sentence sums it up:

"and overall crack-resistance, making it resistant to damage from everyday use." (Fitbit Moderators might want to take note of that line). If it falls from a foot, off a shelf onto a pillow, explain to me, why, when the Blaze has Gorilla Glass on it, shatters or cracks or breaks. That should not be happening. Fitbit should be replacing any Blaze that comes across this issue. 

This is clearly a manufacturing defect. But on that front, I don't have that issue with mine. When my phone's display failed to work, I submitted that as a manufacturing defect on the RMA. That got fixed. I live in Ontario, Canada by the way. If my screen ever broke, I'd return it as a manufacturing defect. That's an example of a manufacturing defect, not related to Gorilla Glass, but you get the basic idea. 

Edit: Because of the above statement. Fitbit cannot look at every case as an individual basis where this happens. This opens Fitbit up to even more problems down the road. The clear answer here, is that the watch must be replaced if this occurs. Fitbit cannot say it is physical damage either. 

Owns both an Alta and a Blaze. Crew Commissioner for the LSPD (Los Santos Poilce Crew) in Grand Theft Auto Online (Xbox One). CEO of 666 Industries (Grand Theft Auto Online). Addicted to Member Berries.
Best Answer

@Driver8666

I have a friend that works with Gorilla Glass 3, He stated the glass is definitaly durable. The problem is in the edge from when they cut it. Don't know... it's obvious that Fitbit is not going to stand behind their product. I have put a tempered glass protector on mine just to prevent it from getting cracked again. Thank you for the information in your post.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jrsink

Strange thing is one of my phones has Gorilla Glass 3 and the other one has Gorilla Glass 4. I put Liquid Armor on the 2 phones and the Blaze just in case. The glass is definitely durable as my watch and phones are subjected to some crazy abuse. 

I actually tried that pillow thing. Doesn't crack. 

Plus with the Liquid Armor, you can buff off any fingerprints. 

Owns both an Alta and a Blaze. Crew Commissioner for the LSPD (Los Santos Poilce Crew) in Grand Theft Auto Online (Xbox One). CEO of 666 Industries (Grand Theft Auto Online). Addicted to Member Berries.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Driver8666

Never heard of liquid armor before I read it in one of your post. Will have to remember that for future use.

My tempered Glass seems to be helping keep it from getting worse. Guess I will not think a device made for fitness will hold up to what it was made for again and add some protection to it as the warranty is worthless.

Thanks for the info.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jrsink

Just depends on where you live really if you want to do the warranty route. It's good that it does, but still screens shouldn't be cracking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally understand where you are coming from because I dropped mine on the mat in my car and it shattered and was told the same thing by customer service. Let's just say that they will never ever get any of my money again and I definitely tell my family and friends to not purchase any Fitbit device. So annoyed and frustrated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought my Fitbit Charge HR in February 2016 as an upgrade for my fitbit flex as I wanted to monitor my heart rate when exercising.  I loved it. However recently the wristband has began to split from the 'watch' bit and the screen started to develop black lines across the front. It has now stopped working altogether. Help please is there anything I can do?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear Fitbit,

my blaze screen is also now broken and i have my 2 year old daughter to thank for it. i too am not made of money so i was shocked to learn there was no repair service available yet.

with these devices tracking fitness activity and exploration into the outdoors sometimes things happen beyond our control leading to damaged/broken products.

Many smart phones have generic repair shops everywhere hat can replace/repair their screens it would be good if you ventured down that path as well.

if an option of a "TRADE IN" discount was available i would be interested to hear about it.

Best regards,

Doug_M

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had the same experience.  So disappointed.    I love my blaze and only want it repaired    I will never buy another Fitbit if the company won't help me repair my screen 

Best Answer

This glass problem is terrible, so many people with cracked screens and they are so fragile they crack even if you sleep in them like mine, I will never buy from fitbit again, in my opinion it is a terrible the way you are treated by customer services

Look elsewhere people please you will regret it like me 

Best Answer
0 Votes