Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories Burned while biking doesn't seem even close

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Lately my mountain biking sessions don't seem to be calculating calories correctly.  I just finished a 1:16 ride, fairly strenuous and it calculated 318 calories, see below.  My strava record for the same ride shows something like 650-700 calories, which feels closer to accurate.  Strangely, my running sessions seem to calculate calories more accurately (approx 100 cals per mile at my height/weight).  But biking is off.  Any ideas?  Notice the calories burned per minute is flat-lined, even though my HR fluctuates.  Doesn't seem to make sense.  A setting somewhere?

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 2.55.22 PM.png

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

It's great to have you here @Vgroff.

Thanks for the attachment and the information provided. I would like to know how are you logging your activities? Are you selecting them directly from the tracker or are you using SmartTrack? In the meantime, I recommend taking a look at the help article How does Fitbit estimate how many calories I've burned?.

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for responding!  I am just selecting Bike on my Blaze and then going for a ride.  It gets the HR, elevation, etc, correct, just doesn't seem to be trying to calculate calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Went biking today again and a strange thing happened.  I recording my ride by choosing bike on my Blaze.  Right when I finished I synched and the results showed something like 11xx calories, and the calorie burn per minute fluctuated during the ride.  Then I checked again later and it change the calories to 4xx and flatlined the calories burned per minute.  It's kind of like the phone app calculates it correctly then the server overrides it with a flatline calculation of 4 calories per minute regardless of the HR or other factors.  Strange.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I rode for over 3 hours - 40 miles- calories. Urned were shown as slightly under1,000. If you google a calculator for outside biking the same stats It calculates 2,800. What am I doing wrong with fit bit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Versa and Blaze. Thought I'd break out the old Blaze for sub freezing riding, and preserve the Versa a bit. I was not getting calorie burn either. Figured the Blaze is just old and seen better days. Haven't messed with it since. Mine was a few Months short of 4 years old at the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue. I rode 46 miles today and my Charge 5 says the entire activity only burned 250 calories lmao

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here with workaround below. Biking using the phone or Versa 2 via Fitbit gives me a flatline for calories. For example today was a short ride 3 miles 1,000 foot elevation gain and loss and strava tracks 700 calories (using wahoo heart rate monitor and other sensors) while fit bit tracked 200. Happens every time I have biking tracked via Fitbit. Other activities track correctly. 

****WORKAROUND****

delete the tracked bike ride from the app. Then it tracks the calories correctly.  

Best Answer
0 Votes