Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Is there a way I can just switch the settings on the Fitbit app so that it just shows me the calories I burned through steps stairs workouts ect. and not the resting calories too. If this isn't an option can someone point me in the direction of a 3rd party app that has what I'm looking for
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Rich_arcadia welcome to the Fitbit Community! It's great to have you here 🙂 As mentioned by @SteveH currently is not possible to view the caloric burn of your activities only, your BMR is always included. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight. The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

You can suggest this on the Feature Request board, our product development teams consult regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want. Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback.  

I'll be around if you have any questions! 🙂 

Retired ModeratorAngela | Community Moderator

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

I'm afraid there are no options to switch off the logging of BMR calories (those you burn keeping your body alive). If including BMR is unacceptable for any reason then I'm afraid fitbit is not for you as I can't see any app getting around this restriction.

Best Answer

Hello @Rich_arcadia welcome to the Fitbit Community! It's great to have you here 🙂 As mentioned by @SteveH currently is not possible to view the caloric burn of your activities only, your BMR is always included. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight. The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

You can suggest this on the Feature Request board, our product development teams consult regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want. Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback.  

I'll be around if you have any questions! 🙂 

It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of silver and gold! Share your story!

Best Answer

There is something drastically incorrect wth the calories burned feature of the Blaze. I walk approx 10k-12k steps a day at work. Its shows I'm burning 2200-2500 calories a day just doing this. Thats impossible. I tried emailing fitbit and they replaced the unit and the new one does the same thing.At that ppoint I thought it was something i did during set up so I went back through the set up and everything is fine. There seems to be alot of this type of issue within these forums. Very depressing as I paid alot of $ for this Blaze. I love the idea but they need to work out the bugs..

Best Answer
Those number don't sound obviously wrong (depending on how heavy you are). Why are you so certain they are wrong? Are you taking your BMR calories into account?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bmoore1265 wrote:

There is something drastically incorrect wth the calories burned feature of the Blaze. I walk approx 10k-12k steps a day at work. Its shows I'm burning 2200-2500 calories a day just doing this.

@Bmoore1265 Total calories for the day? The Fitbit app by default shows total calories burned. I burn about 1850 calories per day just being alive, add in another 400 for walking 10k steps and that puts me at 2250 calories for the day.

Your daily calorie burn sounds reasonable to me.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I agree it sounds about right. 

Note: since the calories are calculated on the server, not the Blaze, if the other States on the Blaze are correct, I do not see changing the tracker having any affect on the caliries. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Bmoore1265Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.  The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually. 

This is why I suggest to review if your personal information is correct on your profile settings. @Rich_Laue@SteveH and @bbarrera thanks for your amazing cooperation! 🙂 

Let me know if this helps! Woman Very Happy

Best Answer

I doubt the calories are computed on the server. If i exercise and do not have my phone next to me, it will give me a calory count on the watch without being connected.
The calory algorithm is certainly part of the firmware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @pierrotsc the calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually. Your tracker will display the calorie burn of your activity but it will provide you a more accurate information once it syncs to the Dashboard. 

Let me know if you have any questions! Woman Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AngelaMa You are telling me that right now when i walk 12 mn and my move iq is triggered, the watch displays i have burned 110 calories, if i look at my dashboard, it should be more accurate. right now, i am ready to return the watch as calories are important and the number the blaze are way too inflated. i should be burning 3 calories per mn with my body and HR activity.
On the other hand, i am really pleased with the watch. I found the right spot on my arm to have the HR match the elliptical on the gym.

So let me know what you think about the walking calories. I also do cycling and the calories look fine there. It is indeed puzzling.

Thanks.

Best Answer

your calorie counter is wacky. It is not even close. Today I have walked 5.1 miles and moved around d the house. Fit bit shows 7500 calories burned., should be approx 500 plus living. What's up with that? Having a little trouble with font and size. 

Best Answer

@Keithfaw is your step count looking ok? I'm wondering if this is inflated for some reason causing the calorie problem. 

If the steps are ok then I would suspect that one of your profile settings is not right. It uses your age, height, weight etc to calculate calories so it's worth checking your settings at https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Personal data is fine 203 lbs, 5'8". Step count is fine approx 2400 per mile, floors fine and heart rate fine. I just put it on this am and it shows 592 calories burned. Distances are correct. Last week I walked approx 10 miles and calorie count was 24,000. That rate would equate to three marathons. What's next?

Best Answer

The 592 doesn't sound too bad as most people burn several hundred BMR calories between midnight and when they get up. If it were getting all your calories wrong then I'd expect it to have far more than this so it's very confusing as to when and where these extra, wrong, calories are being logged.

Does your calories graph show the rogue calories being logged throughout the day or just certain times?

The only thing I can suggest is that you restart your fitbit using this procedure:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/

It's much the same as rebooting your PC - it does no harm and can sort out all sorts of issues. Only thing is that it doesn't always work so try it at least 3 times.

Best Answer