Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories left to eat changes after midnight.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I look at my dash, tells me calories I have eaten and "cals left to eat" for the day. For example, last night, before I went to bed, it tells me I have "108 cals left to eat". I am eating at a 250 deficit. This morning, I look into yesterday's stats and this is what I see:

1882 burned

1589 eaten

-293 calories (overall) 

Since I am eating at a 250 deficit, 293-250 = 43

This means that yesterday, before going to bed, it should have been telling me that I had "43 cals left to eat" not 108. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have noticed this night after night and it is driving me crazy. I have been googling this issue and it seems often there is confusion with the "over budget" thing when you look at "Food" in the phone app. I understand that this is looking at your food intake and your calorie outtake at that point in time also taking into account your BMR so this one is irrelevant. Any help would be great.

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

Hello @Jannyw, one thing i would like to point out is the app is only able to calculate this based on what it knows, this would include any data from the tracker. 

Basically if tye tracker had not synced imeadiatly before looming at the app, it wo7ld not have taken into count any activity that had not synced from the traker.

Now tyat a sync and the day is over, this is easy to figure out.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,
Thanks for responding, yup I'm aware of that and that's what confuses me. I
sync right before bed, have all my calories eaten logged and do not add
onto them the next day. Suppose I move around lot in my sleep, that should
increase the amount of calories I had left to eat when I sync the next day
and go back to the previous day's records.
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you sync before bed, the app wont be taking into consideration your BMR between then and Midnight.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know it does that for the Calorie In vs Out stat but I don't think so for
the calories left to eat stat because before the day starts, it calculated
automatically the number of calories I can eat based solely on my BMR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

A warm welcome to the Community @Jannyw and @Rich_Laue thanks for stopping by.

If you would like to have more information about the calories in vs out option, I recommend taking a look at this post, where our friend @TandemWalker is providing a good explanation about it.

Hope this helps. Woman Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, this is a real bug; I'm seeing it, too, since about a week ago.  Others are, too; there's about 3-4 discussions of people asking things like:

• why are my calories the same every day?  
  • why do my calories reset in the morning?
  • why do my calories reset at midnight?

I'm a long time user, and I understand how the calories might adjust a little, but I'm seeing more dramatic adjustments/resets than @Jannyw.  My app was telling me I had about 500 calories left for the day and then after midnight, as I was entering my last foods, I was suddenly over by about 100 when I hadn't entered anything like 500.

Even stranger, if I look at the calories burned for yesterday, it shows 1974.  If I then click on the arrows to expand the graph in the iOS app, it shows on the graph that I have 2416 burned which is much closer to my norm.  Doing some arithmetic shows the 1974 is close to my base level burn.  I also notice that while I have met my burn goal for the day ever since I got my first Fitbit, I am suddenly falling short, just since last Thursday -- and that's the first day I notice the expanded graph showing more calories than the smaller one.

Hope you can figure this out!

Best Answer

Are you trying to fix this?  I have more info for you.

I use two trackers; an HR which I mainly use while sleeping because I'm concerned about my heart rate then, due to sleep apnea.  The other is a One which I use during the day.  The HR doesn't normally see  much activity beyond BMR (baseline metabolic rate).  However, last Tuesday (6/6), it registered a high heart rate while it was in the drawer (this happens sometimes when it is not on a flat service and there are vibrations).  That day, it shows 2253 calories burned (and 2552 on the expanded graph), so the bug shows up but the calories burned actually includes the activity calories registered on the HR.

So, now I'm thinking that at the end of the day when the calories resets, it resets to the BMR plus the activity registered on the HR, ignoring the activity registered on the One.  That is very unfortunate for me as most of my activity shows up on the One.  I don't know if others in this thread also use more than one tracker, but that appears to be the problem for me.  Or perhaps the software forgets all One activity whether or not you use another tracker?

Please fix this.  I do have a bunch of pics from the app if you want to see them.

It is a pain to have 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@liz4cps if you would like to contact Fitbit, the info is in the top right or under help in the app. It is contact.Fitbit.com 

As for the community of Fitbit users, fixing it is beyond their ability. 

Best Answer

The chances are you won't burn too many calories whilst you're asleep. 

Also, when you set it up with height, weight etc, it will advise you on how many calories you should eat.

If you then set a weight goal, it will set a target deficit, x more calories burned than consumed. 

Once you go past mid night, it's the next day so it will start at calories burned from 0 and you have to teach or maintain the deficit for the next day, and so on.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue, I was hoping @AlejandraFitbit would respond, but perhaps you're right about contacting Fitbit directly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HarryMrRGray thanks, but that's not the issue.  The problem is the calories burned changes after midnight and that changes the planned calories in.  For me, calories burned drops by 300-400 calories and then the food I've eaten is suddenly over because the amount I can eat drops a lot at the same time.  For example, calories burned before midnight might be 2250 (I'm not very active but that's another story).  After midnight, they'll change to about 1975.

Since I have a 500 calorie deficit, the amount I can eat changes from about 1750 to 1475 at midnight which means I'm suddenly way over.

How do I know the calories burned changes?

1. I often see the celebration that I've met my burn goal of 2200 calories for the day, and yet at 1 am, it will show I am well under.
  2. If I look at the calories burned page, I see that starting on June 1, I've only made my burn goal on one day; for the 2-3 years prior to that, I never missed my burn goal even once.  I have slowed down some gradually over time but not suddenly that much on June 1.
  3. If I expand the graph on the calories burned page in iOS, and tap 1d, I see the real calories at the top of the page.  I took pics for Monday; you can see that it shows 1974 calories for the day when I first tap the calories burned icon, but when I expand the graph for Monday, it shows 2416 calories.

IMG_2741.jpgIMG_2742.jpg

Best Answer

I just talked to Fitbit support about this.  This is a bug and their engineers are working on fixing this.

The problem occurs if you have more than one Fitbit tracker.  It seems to lose the activity of one of the trackers.  For example, I was using both a Fitbit One and a Fitbit HR.  At midnight each day, it mostly forgot about the activity calories burned on the One.  Since that was the one I used most of the day, this meant it would lose most of my activity calories.

My workaround is to stop using the HR completely for a while and just use the One day and night, planning to go back to using both once this bug is fixed.

Best Answer

Great to see you around @liz4cps, thanks for the screenshots. @HarryMrRGray and @Rich_Laue thanks for stopping by.

I appreciate the information and the workaround you provided for a temporary solution while our team is finding a solution to fix this inconvenience @liz4cps, I know that users having this same issue will find those steps helpful. Your patience while our team fix will be appreciated. 

Catch you later. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Update:  I took the HR off my account before midnight last night.  When I looked at my calories burned today, the # sounded ok; maybe low.  So, I looked at calories burned for today where I should see the 15 minute bars, there were no bars at all.  Also, there were no bars after about 4 pm yesterday, as if it was mostly ignoring my One, still.

So, I tried restarting the app but that didn't help.  I think I tried one or two other things, though I didn't try logging out of the app.  I then removed the One from my account as well, and added it right back in afterwards.  I had a lot of trouble with the latter as it seemed to hang and not be able to find the One, and I was beginning to think I was completely sunk.  I restarted the app once or twice.  The last time I restarted, I noticed the One was on the account again.  It never told me that it was paired, so I'm not sure what happened, but the good news is that I have calories burned bars again as you can see below.  Before unpairing and repairing, this screen showed no bars at all, as you see to the right of the time I made this image.

IMG_2746.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlejandraFitbit, has this been fixed yet?  I keep looking back to early June to see if the messed up numbers have been fixed but they haven't been.  Then I started thinking perhaps the old numbers wouldn't be fixed.

So, I thought I'd ask if it's been fixed.  If I try to use my HR again at night, I'm worried if it doesn't work, I'll have more messed up numbers and it was such a pain to implement the work around since I had to:

1. remove the HR
  2. notice One info wasn't recording
  3. remove the One, too
  4. add the One back to the account -- which took a very long time as the pairing didn't not go smoothly.

So, can you let me know if this is fixed?  I've been checking the updates but they just have a vague "bugs fixed" note.  If it's not fixed, can you let me know when it is fixed?  Posting a note here would be great!

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes