Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use a Fitbit without having a compatible phone?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all, I’ve purchased a Fitbit Blaze for my partners birthday, he’s just got a new Samsung Galaxy S9, if his phone is not yet compatible will he be able to use any of the features on the Fitbit at all? Whilst waiting for his device is made compatible.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Set it up on the computer.

Need to download some software

To download software or App
https://www.fitbit.com/start

To set it up
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1873

If you have trouble  see this Article on Why cant I set up my Fitbit?
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1872/?q=not+setup&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thank you , but on some posts I’m seeing the blaze is being fazed out ? So would I be better changing it for something else , I’m picking it up tomorrow and his birthday isn’t till next week 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It has been discontinued. But it is still supported. If some thing goes wrong it still has a one year warranty. It will be replaced but with some thing different

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Have you tried the S9 yet @Midsmum

I have 3 fitbit friends with the S9 and have had no issues setting the tracker up or get notifications. 

As for the Blaze being phased out. that's correct it happened a few months ago with the introduction of the Versa. 

Best Answer

But it's your choice on replacing it now or not. You do not need to.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Hi , I’ve not tied it yet as the blaze is for my partners birthday which isn’t till next week

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Midsmum it is the Android app that needs to be tested to be made compatible, please remember the list is only the phones that have been tested .With many phones sharing the same hardware there are many more that do work. 

As iIsaid above iIhave 3 friends with the S9, there are also a few on the Council with an S9 and I know of one Fitbit moderator that has an S9, not one of them have any issues with the phone. 

My S5 worked without any problems, for a year before it was on the approved list .The S8 was not approved until 6 months after purchasing. Never had problems with either. 

The Galaxy line seems to just work. 

The nice thing about Android is the freedom of the manufacturers to use their choice of hardware, the worst thing for software developers is that the Android manufacturers can use their own choice of hardware. 

Yes with the many configurations, Fitbit. and Garmin need to sometimes write a custom driver version for a specific phone model. 

While an apple app may need 2, or 3 versions. The Android app may need 2 or 3 versions for each manufacturer of Android phones. 

In any case, from what I have been told the S9 is fully compatible. 

Best Answer

Thanks for all your help , I think I’m going to stick with the blaze then as I have seen some good reviews for it 👍🏼

Best Answer

Hey @Midsmum, good to have you on board. @WendyB and @Rich_Laue thanks for the input.

Regarding your inquiry, the full list of compatible devices with confirmed compatibility can be found here. If a device isn’t listed it doesn’t mean it won’t work with a Fitbit tracker or smartwatch since we routinely test new devices to ensure full compatibility with Fitbit devices and the Fitbit App, and are constantly working to confirm compatibility with new phone models.

A majority of Android phones running version 4.4 or higher will work with our products, however we cannot guarantee optimal performance on devices for which we have not tested and confirmed compatibility.

About the availability of the Blaze, we're always working to streamline our offerings as we introduce new products. Although it has been a very popular product for us, we’ve decided to discontinue selling Blaze on fitbit.comPlease note that we’ll continue to support Blaze from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. 

Let me know if you need anything else. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer