Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elliptical, why does it count steps?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, my main form of exercise is using the elliptical. However ,I would like to understand why Fitbit is counting my steps when using the elliptical and whether there is a solution to it. Also , how does Fitbit calculate calories burned while using the elliptical ?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@BlazeUser12 Are you entering the Blaze into workout mode when you begin your elliptical session?  You do this by swiping to Exercise and then selecting Elliptical. 

It should be counting your steps.  If it isn't, you may be holding on to the handles a little too tightly.  Just try to loosen your grip a bit and it should work.  As for heartheart, Fitbit calculates calories burned based on a combination of your step activity and your heart rate. It also takes into account your BMR calories (those you burn just keeping your body alive) which are calculated from your profile settings.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Your Fitbit should also automatically detect an elliptical workout if you do not manually set it. The workout then estimates your calorie expenditure on that basis.
While your Fitbit charges or you just want to catch your breath, join us on the Lifestyle Discussions

Community Council Member

Warren | Cincinnati, OH

Versa Lite, Ionic, Charge3, Inspire HR, Blaze(retired), Alta( retired),- Pixel 3

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Good point, @wtksk8r! I am always so excited to push start on the exercise screen that I forget about the autotrack feature.

Best Answer
0 Votes