Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fat Burn Zone on the Blaze

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have been in the Fat Burn zone for over 10 hours today. I have read other posts regarding inaccurate zones/calculations, but here is my question...Some gyms, like Orange Theory, claim that if you workout in your peak zone for 12-20 minutes per day, you are able to turn up your body's ability to burn calories for 24-36 hours after a peak workout.

So many people have posted that they believe that there is an error in calculating their fat burn zone, but is it possible that if you have spent time in your peak zone that you ARE in fact in a burn zone for an amount of time afterward that is actually being accounted for by the fitbit?
Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

I can't answer your question but I, too, am in the fat burn zone for 8-11 hours per day and question the accuracy of this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good question, not sure about the answer.

I've reviewed some articles in the medical literature, and concluded that EPOC calorie burn is in the 50-250 calorie range, although it really depends on exercise i) intensity, ii) duration, iii) fitness level, and iv) gender. Not the easiest article to read, here is on overview of the literature I found on the internet:

http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/epocarticle.html

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes
Interesting read, bbarrera! Thanks for that! I guess I am just trying to be optimistic about why my Fitbit is saying I'm spending so much time in the "fat burn" zone. I did spend 9 minutes in my peak heart rate zone yesterday and wondered if that is what kicked me into "fat burn" for 11 hours. Today I have definitely done nothing and have still been in fat burn for 6 hours. Now I am also wondering about caffeine intake...seems like THAT could definitely play a part! I'm still seeking some answers/resolution for the "fat burn" mystery!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Another thought...really the only categories Fitbit recognizes are1) Resting 2) Fat Burn 3) Cardio 4) Peak. So maybe I am just overthinking it. Based on THOSE limited categories, if I am doing anything other than metabolic processes, I am in fat burn.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I could be wrong, but this is how I understand it:

Fitbit's idea of the fat burning zone is  anything from 50-69 percent of your max heart rate. Example: A 30 year old's max heart rate is determined by subtracting his or her age from 220. So the person would only have to get his or hr heart rate above ~95 to get into that  fat burn zone.  So yes, even though you haven't done much, if you've been consuming caffeine every hour or so, there is a chance that has  elevated you into that fat burning area. It doesn't take a lot to get the heart rate up into the 80s and 90s, but that is weird that yours has been there for 10 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have definitely been in the cardio zone by using another heart rate monitor. HOWEVER my fitbit Blaze will not get out of the fatburn zone no matter what I do. Cleaned the sensors, moved it around on my wrist, and everything else FitBit recommends. It on average is 50 beats off! That is dangerous! I understand all the disclaimers but give me a break. $200 bucks for something that is so inaccurate really gets my heart rate up. Pun intended lol.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! Good to see you around!

Thanks all for participating and I would also like to add that your heart rate may be affected by a number of factors at any given moment. Movement, temperature, humidity, stress level, physical body position, caffeine intake, and medication use are just a few things that can affect your heart rate. Different medical conditions and medications can impact your heart rate.

If you notice that you've  been in Fat Burn zone for quite a while and that doesn't seem good for you, consult your doctor to confirm the information and to see if that has anything to do with your habits or conditions.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mysucre wrote:

I have definitely been in the cardio zone by using another heart rate monitor. HOWEVER my fitbit Blaze will not get out of the fatburn zone no matter what I do. Cleaned the sensors, moved it around on my wrist, and everything else FitBit recommends. It on average is 50 beats off! That is dangerous! I understand all the disclaimers but give me a break. $200 bucks for something that is so inaccurate really gets my heart rate up. Pun intended lol.

I've found the Blaze to be more accurate than my old Charge HR ever was - but it will ultimately depend on the type of exercise you're doing.

If you're running, I've found the blaze (and the charge HR) to get pretty close to my Polar chest strap, but on other exercises (concept2 ski erg, rowing, weights), the accuracy does tend to be less accurate.  Tightening up the watch band by one stop does tend to improve things a little.

This is fairly typical of optical HRMs regardless of the manufacturer.  Be it Apple, Polar, Garmin, etc. - what the opticals measure isn't reliable under some exercise conditions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted awhile ago regarding always being in the fat burning zone. I've read thru the posts since then and there seems to be possible explanations. One being that if I exercised and was in the peak zone for a certain period of time that following that I'd be in the fat burn zone. I'm ALWAYS in the fat burn zone, even when I do not exercise. I can be sitting down doing pretty much nothing and my heart rate is 115 bpm. That just isn't right! My solution, I've stopped using the heart rate monitor. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I know my issues have nothing to do with a medical issue. It is the device itself as it can go from showing --- to 135 cardio, back to --- then 98 fat burn zone in seconds.

It means is not reading my hr accurately but nothing I do makes it stable.

However, my other device from another company doesn't have this issue.

I should have stayed with the flex.

Debra Best
Best Answer
0 Votes

I want to bring more precision to that 50-59%. Since you have an HR watch you want to bring in a notch more precision : first calculate Max HR minus Resting Heart Rate. Thus is called your heart rate reserve. Then, your fat burning is 60 to 69% of this fat reserve ADDED to your Resting Heart Rate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes