Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I log rowing?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I go rowing on a river. How do I track my distance, route and calories burned? Currently it doesn't even recognize any active minutes on my rows - and believe me they are!

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

Hello @Dollag, rowing is not one of the auto detectable exersizes, it also is not one of the 18 that can be loaded.

My thought would be to use the workout mode then relable later, unfortunately this will not give a map of the route. For this to happen we only have a few choices, run, walk, hike, bike.

Maybe someone else will have another idea using a third b party app.

Best Answer

It's great to see you around @Dollag and @Rich_Laue thanks for stopping by.

Keep in mind that if an activity is not listed in the shortcut list, you can always manually add it by doing the following from your Fitbit app:

1. Tap the "+" icon
  2. Tap track exercise
  3. Enter your exercise and information
  4. Tap log it
  5. Sync

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been logging it as cycling. It gives me a map, speed, distance and calories.  I wish there was rowing!

Best Answer

Hey @tapper524, good to have you here.

I appreciate the feedback about rowing. Unfortunately, we do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. 

Let me know if you need anything else.

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Affects me too. I would like rowing added

Best Answer

Which + sign? I am new to Fitbit Charge 4, but most of my exercises are rowing. I  read before buying it that it was possible to add manually, which is why I bought it, but now I can't see how to get to the plus sign.

Thank you for your help!

Best Answer

Add rowing. 

Best Answer

What if I just write it down on paper that I tape to my rower? Elasticity of demand affected by substitutes. I would rather tap my fitbit but going to my phone means my fitbit is not fulfilling its primary purpose. Writing it down on the side of the rower becomes about as good an alternative. 

Best Answer

I have a HYDROW Rower which automatically stores row activity in distance and calories burned.  This makes it easy for me to record my rows in my Fitbit App when I can get to it and no need to write it down. I totally love rowing 🚣‍:female_sign: 🥰

Best Answer

From “Today”, next to” x of n days of exercise this week”

• Tap +
  • Switch to “Log”
  • Search “Row” and choose 1 of 2 options:
  • - Rowing
  • Rowing Machine
    Enter details
Best Answer

See my reply.  The UI is a pretty confusing.  The response from the moderator was in 2017 so their instructions are a little out of date.

Best Answer

Thanks for the skinny, termetrick!

Manually enter data. Jeez. I’m floored that Fitbit has ignored the rowing community for so long. The first comments I saw on this topic were in 2015. I think I bought the wrong device and am contemplating dumping it. Such a disappointment.

Best Answer

You can start the workout mode on your wrist, then after a sync, rename it to rowing, 

Best Answer
Ok, here’s an update, it works! :)- Log into log.concept2.com- Edit Profile- Applications > Connect to Fitbit- Log into Fitbit
That automatically logs your activity as RowErg
Best Answer

Thanks again, termetrick. I’ve had success with the erg workouts showing in exercise. What I need is a fitness tracker that logs and maps on-river rowing in a shell.

Best Answer

Thank you, Rich. I assume I would start a running workout? Really too bad that Fitbit can’t map rowing so we can properly record distance.

Best Answer

Hi..... termetrick.... Many thanks for the suggestion!   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would love to have a rowing option for excercises.

Best Answer

If you do that, will it automatically import the heart rate data from the watch? 

Best Answer
0 Votes